When To Begin Taking U.s. Ss Payments

davewe
Posted
Posted
On 7/10/2017 at 1:22 AM, bang4dabuck said:

No, I'm ok with it but to me it's a glitch, this benefit and probably hardly used. Abused yes, in my book. I just hate hypocrisy and to use GETTING EVEN as an excuse is a cop out.

It's not a technicality and is probably used more often than you think. I would however suspect that the bigger use is for retired grandparents collecting Social Security who are the legal guardians of their grandkids. Also in the US nowadays there are plenty of 40-something women having children. If the father was let's say 55 at the time of birth, when he collects SS at 62 his 7 year old child is eligible, as is the mother. 

Congress has attempted to get rid of the benefit in the past and may try to again and I might even agree that they should remove it someday. But I wouldn't agree that it's a technicality or glitch; there was a reason originally for the benefit.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

If you worked, you and your employer paid into Social Security. The contributions or money are deposited into the US Treasury and an I.O.U. certificate is issued to the Social Security Administration. The U.S. Congress is free to spend all the deposit and they do. What is paid out to beneficiaries is now referred to as "an entitlement program." meaning the Congress can withdraw or reduce the payouts at anytime.

In some countries like Singapore, the contributions to Social Security are directly invested into such projects as public housing. You don't hear them talking about the money running out. Politicians cannot get their dirty little fingers into the moey. 

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, davewe said:

It's not a technicality and is probably used more often than you think. I would however suspect that the bigger use is for retired grandparents collecting Social Security who are the legal guardians of their grandkids. Also in the US nowadays there are plenty of 40-something women having children. If the father was let's say 55 at the time of birth, when he collects SS at 62 his 7 year old child is eligible, as is the mother. 

Congress has attempted to get rid of the benefit in the past and may try to again and I might even agree that they should remove it someday. But I wouldn't agree that it's a technicality or glitch; there was a reason originally for the benefit.

Another big one, (fraud) that I observed in recent years is this newer scam;  Mom and grandmother scheme to fraud Social Services by claiming mother is unfit due to medical issues, drugs , or alcohol, ect.  The first option is to find a family member for the children/s.  Grandmother steps up because she lives nearby, or maybe next door.  (one case grandmother actually lived in the same government paid apartment).  Grandmother accepts the kids as their guardian and now receives payments for their care.  In reality, mom still maintains control over the kids but share the SS payments with grandmother.  Grandmother does not adopt because that would mean the end of payments.  :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
Bicoljohn58
Posted
Posted

Why would you be penalized for your military pension. Social Security says that you are eligible for full benefits with a military pension? I'm just asking because I'm sixty this year and will be making this same decision soon.

Nephi
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Bicoljohn58 said:

Why would you be penalized for your military pension. Social Security says that you are eligible for full benefits with a military pension? I'm just asking because I'm sixty this year and will be making this same decision soon.

I'm going to guess here. You can usually take an early pull on your SS starting at 62yrs old. Until you turn 65, SS will deduct one dollar for every two dollars you earn or get from any source. That would be my guess as to why the penalty. Best thing to do for accurate information is to contact Social Security directly. If already here in the Philippines contact SS at the embassy at This Link.

Edited by Nephi

earthdome
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Nephi said:

I'm going to guess here. You can usually take an early pull on your SS starting at 62yrs old. Until you turn 65, SS will deduct one dollar for every two dollars you earn or get from any source. That would be my guess as to why the penalty. Best thing to do for accurate information is to contact Social Security directly. If already here in the Philippines contact SS at the embassy at This Link.

Here is a link to accurate information: https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/article/3739/what-happens-if-i-work-and-get-social-security-retirement-benefits

You can earn up to an additional ~ $17,000 per year without any deduction. Earnings from pensions, investments, etc. do not count as earnings for this purpose.

• Like 2

Nephi
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, earthdome said:

I decided to apply for my SS at age 62. I did it online, no appointment necessary. I received confirmation by letter and will receive my first benefit the second month following when I turn 62.

We have a newborn baby girl and I have now applied to receive SS benefits for a minor child. I waited until I had her SSN then called my local social security office. Did everything over the phone but I have to show up at an appointment in person to show a valid ID. That is it. We will receive the benefit from the time she was born since it was after I turned 62.

Pretty easy since they could verify everything on the computer by only asking me a few questions over the phone.

We also applied for a passport for our newborn. Pretty easy to do at the post office, only issue was she didn't like being woke up from her nap for the picture. Should have that in 3-4 weeks.

Thank you for getting the right information for the OP with the link you provided. I assume you're still in the States in that you did the online application.

I was already living here in the Phills when I took my early pull at 62. I just emailed SS at the embassy in Manila. They called me back within an hour and took the info over the phone. I then opened a US dollar Social Security account at an approved Philippine bank. My first deposit was there right on time. 

I must commend the gals working at SS in the embassy. They really know their stuff and are extremely kind and helpful. Even just the other day I had a question on SS and they got right back to me Great people

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2