Baby On Balikbayan Visa.?

Whitty
Posted
Posted

Hi , my name is Richard . I am living in Samboan Cebu . Been here on and off around 12 months now . Married to a Filipina . We have recently had a baby boy. We went back to Australia so Jack could be born in Tweed Heads on 1/1/15 . He has his own Australian Pasport and birth certificate .  Was wondering if you may be able to give me some advise. At the moment Jack and  I am usung the Balilbayan 12 month visa...
  Was hoping to not have to take the baby travelling to renew his Balikbayan . How can he be  allowed to stay here in Cebu? .
   Thanking you

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Hi , my name is Richard . I am living in Samboan Cebu . Been here on and off around 12 months now . Married to a Filipina . We have recently had a baby boy. We went back to Australia so Jack could be born in Tweed Heads on 1/1/15 . He has his own Australian Pasport and birth certificate .  Was wondering if you may be able to give me some advise. At the moment Jack and  I am usung the Balilbayan 12 month visa...

Was hoping to not have to take the baby travelling to renew his Balikbayan . How can he be  allowed to stay here in Cebu? .

Thanking you

Welcome and congrats on your son!

I really do not know much about it so I will just throw out an idea.  His mother is Filipina so even though he was born in AU and has an AU passport, can't he be a dual citizen and get a Philippine passport too?

We just got U.S. citizenship for my daughter born in PH and we will get her Philippine passport too.  Not the same situation but it seems like your boy could get both passports.

• Like 3

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Think on my way is right but if you meet your wife out of the Fil and return to country with her and your son you will both qualify for BB privilege.  Will give you a year to  get his dual Citizenship.  But may only get BB stamp if enter country with wife, so if she is in Fil meet her somewhere and enter as family.  Congradulations and GHood Fortune to you and new one.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Think on my way is right but if you meet your wife out of the Fil and return to country with her and your son you will both qualify for BB privilege.  Will give you a year to  get his dual Citizenship.  But may only get BB stamp if enter country with wife, so if she is in Fil meet her somewhere and enter as family.  Congradulations and GHood Fortune to you and new one.

What the OP is saying is that him and his family are in the Philippines. He has to go back to Aus but wants to leave the baby in the Philippines while he is in Aus. My guess is once he leaves without the baby then the baby has no visa.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
My guess is once he leaves without the baby then the baby has no visa

Seems that way to me also.  Next question is:  does the baby need a visa or is it safe for the baby to stay visa free while the parents work on dual citizenship for the child?  One thing is for sure.  If the baby overstays and tries to leave at any future time (on the Australian passport with no current visa stamp) there will be money that needs paying.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
 If the baby overstays and tries to leave at any future time (on the Australian passport with no current visa stamp) there will be money that needs paying.

I wonder if they have a special cell to keep the baby in while waiting deportation for overstaying.  :)

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Something tells me a visit to the BOI is well needed here, but having said this, surely the baby can extend as most of us do,  Jack is here legally on his Aus Passport and should be given his rights as a Tourist ( If any that is) but come on this is a baby.

For me the DFA should have all the information required. Regardless of where Jack was Born he has a Filipino Mother and this is surely the one and best thing in his favour just at this time. He must have Filipino Rights. :rolleyes: Surely. If not, what a sad world we live in and the Philippines should hang their had in Shame.

JP :tiphat:

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Jus Sanguinis, which the Philippines adheres to, is the legal principle that, at birth, the child assumed the nationality of his or her parents. So, pop in with mom's birth certificate and Philippine passport to BI and get your son registered as a Philippine citizen!

:D

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Surely on top of this from Bob a Late Birth Report at NSO ?

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Surely on top of this from Bob a Late Birth Report at NSO ?

Actually, I didn't look that closely into it.. Hehe! Just went to the BI website FAQs... But I gather you are correct!

:D

• Like 2