Can You Live On 7,000,000 Pesos Per Year?

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Keep the poor POOR,

Steve

Shouldn't that be....Keep the poor POORER!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Its hard to walk past the kids when the are running along side you hands out stretched smiling asking for money, ye

Try giving some money and following them.  Some give the money to their adult 'handler', others get their money taken by bigger kids, others run off and buy fireworks with your money, others go and buy some Rugby contact cement.  Those are my personal experiences from times I have been weak enough to give money.  (Yes I can talk tough but I get soft).  Every time this happens I say I am not going to do that again and I always do.  I have NEVER followed one of the kids I gave money to and seen him buy food.  But I have given food to an obviously hungry kid and watched him chow down on it.

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Its funny how we can be tough and hard to adults by saying no and walking away , but kids well there not kids long so let them enjoy what they can,

You may be right about giving the cash to others, but it made me feel good when they say thankyou and run off,

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Keep the poor POOR,

Steve

English grammar has never been my best subject John, but i do try

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Keep the poor POOR,

Steve

English grammar has never been my best subject John, but i do try

Steve,no it's just my way of saying.. The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Its hard to walk past the kids when the are running along side you hands out stretched smiling asking for money

Steve, you are a better man than I or just a much softer touch. I walk all over our area for exercise, and at first was constantly approached by kids with their hands out. The only English they know is "give me money!) (or coins depends on the kid). Now if someone had taught them the word 'please' I might feel different. But its the same kids every day on each route I take. At first I would just say "patatawarren" (spelling? basically means, I gave at the office so don't bother me lol) and walk on. Now I just walk by and ignore them. What gets me in a mood is if I am standing someplace with other people (Filipinos) around and an adult beggar will bypass them all and make straight for me.............I shrug and say "Walang pera" and point at the nearest Filipino and say "ask him" the look is priceless.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

99% of the time I will ignore the adult bwggers. The kids I will be very selective with as well. If I'm sitting having a burger and a kid comes up to ask for money, and he's staring at my burger, he's probably trying to find money for food. An order of burgers can be had for under P29 do that's what I will get them. I did this a couple weeks ago and watched a bit around 12 trying to share those 2 burgers with what was probably his brother and sisters - 7 of them in all. Heck, another couple burgers wasn't going to break me...

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted
7million/100 million people is 7 or 70 centavos per person. get the zeros messed up in my head but that should feed no one for never.
Rather much can be done with ONE such, if follow

"If giving a fish, then it helps only a day,

but if teach and give fishing gear, then it helps for ever..."

E g Percy Barnevic, the former CEO of the international company ASEA Brown Bovery, took a bohnus, which he found he got to much, and started the charity organisation Hand-in-Hand and gave it all that money.  (Around 10 mill USD.) They do "Help-to-self-help" for individuals.

EACH such DON'T cost much, so WE can do single/few such ourselves too, making the world a litle better...

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
if teach and give fishing gear, then it helps for ever

Or until the fish supply runs out, which is about where we are at in Philippines.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

"if teach and give fishing gear, then it helps for ever"

Or until the fish supply runs out, which is about where we are at in Philippines.

Well. What I wrote is a metafor.

There are still a lot of opportunities in Phils, which can improve much with financing.

E g there are many small farms and orchards, which get bad or no harvests, because they don't have money to fertilizer and such. Even worse with mango orchards, because the owners have been FOOLED to spray the trees to get EXTRA harvests, which was good SHORT sighted, but exhaust the trees, and once sprayed the trees have to be sprayed for ever to get ANY harvest at all :bash:        Otherwice the owners would have got proper harvests each second year, WITHOUT needing to pay MUCH for spraying. Well. It's over 1000p per TREE, which is very much money for poor farmers. One such had a 30 mango trees orchard, which they lost, because they couldn't afford the 40 000pesos to spraying, so they didn't get any havest at all ...  :(

• Like 1