A Visitors View Of Cebu City

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I recently visited Cebu City and the surrounding suburbs after a five year absents.

It is nothing less than amazing how much has changed! I had visited once or twice a year from 1998 through 2010. During that time many things changed but not nearly as much as the past five years. 

Many high rise buildings in metro Cebu City along with more new large modern malls, many new smaller malls through out the Island even in some of the smaller towns. 

The largest and most obvious change is the congestion both people and cars. GRIDLOCK is common at any hour of the day. Huge increase in new cars many driven in an overly cautious way impeding traffic. Malls can also be full of people crowds unlike I ever saw before.

Air pollution is so bad now Cebu City would not be my choice for a home unless living well above the city in the surrounding higher hills.

Talisay City, I know this area very well as my folks had a home near to the old city hall until last year. I would not chose to live in Talisay today unless in a gated community on the upper hills well above it. The air is so polluted by early evening it is simply unbelievable. Traffic has always been difficult at times in the older part of Talisay and near Tabernoc but now is simply unmanageable.  

On the plus side. There is clearly a true middle class living there now. New homes many many new high rise condos along with all the new cars and SUV's are evidence of this. People in the malls are spending money freely and there are many new restaurants and fast food outlets. On Friday or Saturday evening there is no place to park at all the new places.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

After spending a month in Cebu earlier, I could see why my Special Someone loved living in Lutopan instead!

Edit: Lutopan is technically Toledo City but she was in the hills not to far from Cebu!

Edited by i am bob
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I was thinking of the same thing the other day.  Getting hard to say anything nice about Cebu.  Highrises, Malls and concrete jungle.  But at least there is still cheap beer and 'nightlife'

• Like 1

BigMook
Posted
Posted

I agree the traffic can be horrendous and the skyline is starting to look more and more line NYC.

but once you get to where you are going (north, south or west) Cebu is hard to beat.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Best thing about Cebu... is that it is not as big as Manila... yet...  You know Iloilo ain't bad if you are married  :tiphat:

• Like 1