Why Do They Do It.....

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Farmers need a way to dry their newly harvested rice.

Nah, I don't buy it.  I was just asking the other day, where did they dry it before the road was widened?  Where did they dry it before there were concrete roads (I have never seen in drying on oil based paved roads).  Where did they dry it in the year 1765?

The % of the crop drying on the concrete must be very small, so they must have other ways.

And as insinuated by someone else, it is probably the wealthier farmer telling them to use the new space and the workers are just following orders.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Because it make their rice drying much easier    It's common in "all" rice farming districts.

Ah OK! So I guess if the Rice owner or one of his lakeys gets knocked over, it will be the drivers fault. because I reckon that might be common also my friend.

People are there just SHORT time  :)  mostly just the rice.

But if any people are hit, then I suppouse they would find it the DRIVERS fault, because they think it's COMMON KNOWLEDGE roads are used for rice drying  :mocking:  the period after harvest time...

Some roads at Bohol are scary tight otherwice also, so I believe I better stay home during rice drying period   :)

BluesDude
Posted
Posted

I think you nailed the mindset Methersgate. Why would anyone have a problem with drying rice on the road?

• Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The traditional method for drying newly harvested rice are mats made from coconut leaves. Concrete pavements are hotter and more effective. Another is a corrugated metal roof. 

The road belongs to members of the barangay, not to gringos driving at high speed on their motorcycles. 

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
The road belongs to members of the barangay, not to gringos driving at high speed on their motorcycles. 

I have that same mindset.  I think of myself as a guest who is lucky to have a road to ride on because expats of 20 years ago had only gravel to ride on and in some cases caribou to ride on it with (or so the locals tell me).

I had a lifetime of riding fantastic roads across Canada and I gave that up to ride a tiny little 35 kg  . . .  XRM

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I was wondering when someone would remind us that this country belongs to Filipinos and most of us are guests... Well said!

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
I have that same mindset.  I think of myself as a guest who is lucky to have a road to ride on because expats of 20 years ago had only gravel to ride on and in some cases caribou to ride on it with (or so the locals tell me).   I had a lifetime of riding fantastic roads across Canada and I gave that up to ride a tiny little 35 kg  . . .  XRM

A simple solution is to find out when the farmers in the area harvest their rice. Avoid motorcycle rides during that time period. There are probably alternative routes like the coastline or next to coconut plantations.

As a resident of the Great State of South Dakota, we host the largest motorcycle rally in the world. 2015 is the 75th anniversary. Sturgis, a town with 7,000 residents, is expecting more than one million riders this August. The entire state population is only 800,000!

RBM
Posted
Posted
Only stupid Big City folk and kanos drive so fast that they cannot see it and stop in time.

Kinda hard to see around a corner regardless of speed.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

The traditional method for drying newly harvested rice are mats made from coconut leaves. Concrete pavements are hotter and more effective. Another is a corrugated metal roof. 

Meaning the road was paid for by the barangay? I was of the understanding the money was from the peoples taxes, paid by the people for the people not just the barangays....This road encompasses around 30KM so quite a few barangays so who is the owner?

Although I do not have a problem as such,  using the road on straight sections for drying, laying it out just around tight bends, protecting it with rocks I have a problem. Not just the foreigners on fast motor cycles. From my experience the Filipinos in the SUVs or ceres  buses are far faster and more reckless than any foreigner I have seen on a motor cycle.

I am interested in how your able condom this practice. . Seems to me the road should be primary for the use of the people, not the few whom grow rice.  After all the rice growers also will be traveling with jeeps and such. 

• Like 1