Why Do They Do It.....

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

The OP was "why they do it?" The obvious answer is because they can and the locals know there is little or no consequences for doing so.

I was wondering when someone would remind us that this country belongs to Filipinos and most of us are guests...

To true Bob, but having said that, yes the OP was inconvenienced, but weren't the locals inconvenienced also? Don't you think that the non-farmers using the road were muttering under their breath "why the **** are they drying rice on this nice new road?" Then naturally as soon as they say this they execute a U turn in the narrowest point of the road, delaying traffic in both directions lolol. Its all about enforcement, or lack thereof.

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
that, yes the OP was inconvenienced,

Sorry guess I was not so clear in my original post.

Scott the point I wish to make is the drying directly around a sharp bend is NOTHING to do with inconveniencing its down right dangerous.

Not just the foreigners  on a bike but for all, Many SUVs drive like formula 1 drivers....These dryers protect the rice with large rocks.....Its just unjustified considering the dangers. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

inconveniencing its down right dangerous.

Sorry RBM, I understood exactly what you were referring to in your OP. Drying rice at a bend in the road, Jeepney stopping in the middle of traffic to pick up passengers, people walking into traffic holding a hand up as if it was a magic wand that will automatically stop cars from running them over, the list could go on and on. This really is a nation of ME at times. I don't care if your bike goes into a ditch because you swerved to miss my rice, as long as my rice gets dried. Until the guy on the motorbike, goes into the ditch, then takes the time and effort to take the farmer to court, jump through all the hoops, send the farmer to jail or fine him. It wont change. You know there are laws on the books about road obstructions, but until someone somewhere in authority comes down hard on the guy, he wont stop.

Just yesterday on the news, they did a feature about a Japanese Expat who lives and runs a small business in Baguio, every morning he spends 1-1.5 hours picking up trash and litter in his neighborhood. The news story treated this guy like some kind of hero. All he said was "I live here and I want to do my part" (or words to that effect. Makes you wonder at times.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Scenario:   a bad mood thought on this 

Man and wife pay BIG Big bucks to build a house and farm on Good and Arable land, they Employs 50 people at times and down to 10 as a Minimum.

Taxes all paid and SSS to boot, pays the correct Going Wage rate and even complies with the 13 month wage rule.

The family pay for a 400 meter section of a new road. "WOW" great says the Barangay Captain. Even gets a Citation from the City Mayor. They (The Family) build a Play park and a Basketball court for the use of all.

OH! I forgot to mention they have a Rice farm.

So there is an accident because of Drying Rice on the Road It's OK it is the way it has always been. A man Dies, the Funeral is paid for by the Farmer. (The family Business)

The husband gets a colossal Fine.

Why?

Cos he is a Foreigner and a Guest. A Guest that Provides for the good of the community yet gets Stung.

Whilst I would be the First to remember that we are not at Home, I find this inference to being a guest just not sitting Right. When things like this happen for the good of the Barangay

I know many people who do this sort of thing and as long as this double edged knife thinking is with us the more it will raise it's head.

To me, the Law should be the Law for all not just against the Foreigner. It will always take a Death to bring stupidity to the Fore But What? do these people do when there is no Foreigner around to blame and pay for things. Do we charge a guest for coming into our Homes and Enjoying things? NO I don't think so.

rant Over but.............. lets think On here please.

JP  :tiphat:

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted
As a resident of the Great State of South Dakota, we host the largest motorcycle rally in the world. 2015 is the 75th anniversary. Sturgis, a town with 7,000 residents, is expecting more than one million riders this August. The entire state population is only 800,000!

And the highways all around Sturgis are in perfect condition with nothing obstructing them because it is against the law and the law is enforced.

And with a million bikers in Sturgis for 7 to 10 days, there is very few problems as the law is enforced.

The OP's concern is why the highway is put in a dangerous state (without enforcement of laws).

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Scenario:   a bad mood thought on this 

Man and wife pay BIG Big bucks to build a house and farm on Good and Arable land, they Employs 50 people at times and down to 10 as a Minimum.

Taxes all paid and SSS to boot, pays the correct Going Wage rate and even complies with the 13 month wage rule.

The family pay for a 400 meter section of a new road. "WOW" great says the Barangay Captain. Even gets a Citation from the City Mayor. They (The Family) build a Play park and a Basketball court for the use of all.

OH! I forgot to mention they have a Rice farm.

So there is an accident because of Drying Rice on the Road It's OK it is the way it has always been. A man Dies, the Funeral is paid for by the Farmer. (The family Business)

The husband gets a colossal Fine.

Why?

Cos he is a Foreigner and a Guest. A Guest that Provides for the good of the community yet gets Stung.

Whilst I would be the First to remember that we are not at Home, I find this inference to being a guest just not sitting Right. When things like this happen for the good of the Barangay

I know many people who do this sort of thing and as long as this double edged knife thinking is with us the more it will raise it's head.

To me, the Law should be the Law for all not just against the Foreigner. It will always take a Death to bring stupidity to the Fore But What? do these people do when there is no Foreigner around to blame and pay for things. Do we charge a guest for coming into our Homes and Enjoying things? NO I don't think so.

rant Over but.............. lets think On here please.

JP  :tiphat:

Well Jack the answer seems to be don`t help the locals!  I wonder if when they get foreign aid (after disasters like Yolanda) would they try to fine another country who donated something which somebody was allergic to, if that person died? They seem to pick on easy targets even though  (in some cases)no law has been broken. Are they not breaking the law by not enforcing it?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Are they not breaking the law by not enforcing it?

Never thought about it that way but I guess yes! There is something in that. Sort of like Dereliction of Duty, could even be Disobeying an Order.  :rolleyes:  But then again, does anyone care if it is a local? The Barangay Captain should be held responsible for the Duty of care he Should have over his Barangay Inhabitants, Local or guests Foreigners are we not told to go to him if we have a problem?

JP :tiphat:

Edited cos I got a spelling dysfunction due to lack of beer :cheers:   :hystery:

Edited by Jack Peterson

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Are they not breaking the law by not enforcing it?

Never thought about it that way but I guess yes! There is something in that. Sort of like Dereliction of Duty, could even be Disobeying an Order.  :rolleyes:  But then again, does anyone care if it is a local? The Barangay Captain should be held responsible for the Duty of care he Should have over his Barangay Inhabitants, Local or guests Foreigners are we not told to go to him if we have a problem?

JP :tiphat:

Edited cos I got a spelling dysfunction due to lack of beer :cheers:   :hystery:

Well I will be over soon to help with your spelling. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Well I will be over soon to help with your spelling. 

:thumbsup:  :dance:

Thomas
Posted
Posted
A simple solution is to find out when the farmers in the area harvest their rice.
It's some different depending of weather zone, but I believe October is most common (=planting when the rain period have made it wet, plus 3.5 - 4 months.) PLUS where they have irrigation they can have 1-2 EXTRA harvest during other time of the year. 
Although I do not have a problem as such, using the road on straight sections for drying, laying it out just around tight bends, protecting it with rocks I have a problem.
Some farms are faaaar from concrete roads with so bad paths, so the harvest has to be carried even if they have a motorbike/car, which many poor farmers don't have.   A common harvest is 3000 kg PER HECTARE, so not odd if they are tired when they reach the road and put the rice where they reach it.

OF COURSE they PROTECT their harvest with rocks to try to avoid some not understanding kano come and damage it...  :lol: