Why Do They Do It.....

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
And with a million bikers in Sturgis for 7 to 10 days, there is very few problems as the law is enforced.

South Dakota is a concealed weapon state and many residents are armed. Bikers know this and they obey the law. The demographics have changed. Many bikers are lawyers, accountants, dentists, etc. and the Sturgis rally is a fun vacation for them. 

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Meaning the road was paid for by the barangay? I was of the understanding the money was from the peoples taxes, paid by the people for the people not just the barangays....This road encompasses around 30KM so quite a few barangays so who is the owner?

The money needed for highways may come from the national budget, after deducting 40% for gratuities. More likely the money is a long term load from the Asian Development Bank or from countries like Japan and the United States. Locals don't see it that way. Politicians had promised to fix the roads in exchange for votes and it's therefore their road.

I don't condone the practice of using common roads for drying rice. I am only offering an explanation.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

Meaning the road was paid for by the barangay? I was of the understanding the money was from the peoples taxes, paid by the people for the people not just the barangays....This road encompasses around 30KM so quite a few barangays so who is the owner?

The money needed for highways may come from the national budget, after deducting 40% for gratuities. More likely the money is a long term load from the Asian Development Bank or from countries like Japan and the United States. Locals don't see it that way. Politicians had promised to fix the roads in exchange for votes and it's therefore their road.

I don't condone the practice of using common roads for drying rice. I am only offering an explanation.

This is rather interesting as from my experience and what members are posting using roads for rice drying is common all over the country.

Its difficult to understand if money was coming from various development banks that it would be acceptable practice for roads to be built basically for rice drying.  Naturally lenders must be aware and yet do nothing plus continue to lend.....Sounds strange.

Not withstanding this is seasonal, surely any lender would find it unacceptable. I wonder why the farmers do not use large plastic sheets which would make for easier rice gathering and perhaps better drying.

One can but ponder.......

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Now suppose that filipino complained that all the speeding traffic on the US freeways was dangerous and they should all slow down because where he comes from that is not safe

Funny you should use this example Dave. My brother in law, who just amazed me on my first visit to Manila by his driving prowess lolol. Came to visit us in the states in the mid 90's. He rented a car and would not drive anywhere near the speed limit, and never never exceed it. It was comical to watch. I teased him, called him an old woman then asked what the problem was. He gave two reasons. 1) he doubted his abilities to drive at speed (this coming from a man that can weave in and out of manila traffic) but more importantly he didn't want to get a ticket.

• Like 5

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Not withstanding this is seasonal, surely any lender would find it unacceptable. I wonder why the farmers do not use large plastic sheets which would make for easier rice gathering and perhaps better drying.

Plastic sheets would hold any rain from the odd cloudbursts. They do use screening so that it is easier to pick up the rice in case of a rain. Along the highway but on their own property, I see concrete pads with ridges for drying the rice. The ridges allow the rice on the ridges to stay dry even with some rain.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
This is rather interesting as from my experience and what members are posting using roads for rice drying is common all over the country.   Its difficult to understand if money was coming from various development banks that it would be acceptable practice for roads to be built basically for rice drying.  Naturally lenders must be aware and yet do nothing plus continue to lend.....Sounds strange.   Not withstanding this is seasonal, surely any lender would find it unacceptable. I wonder why the farmers do not use large plastic sheets which would make for easier rice gathering and perhaps better drying.   One can but ponder.......

Filipinos love playing basketball and many barangays have courts. During the rice harvest season, the courts are used to dry palay (unhusked rice). The courts are also used for parties and celebrations. It's multi-purpose. 

The practice of drying palay on national road is an accepted local practice whether you agree or not. I don't think lending agencies stipulate that road can only be used by cars and trucks in their contracts. What about carabaos pulling sleds and horse drawn carriages that at one time were popular modes of transportation? Maybe they are still popular in some parts of the country. During my most recent trips, I did notice that drying laundry and fish is not longer practice. Consider this an improvement.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Funny you should use this example Dave. My brother in law, who just amazed me on my first visit to Manila by his driving prowess lolol. Came to visit us in the states in the mid 90's. He rented a car and would not drive anywhere near the speed limit, and never never exceed it. It was comical to watch. I teased him, called him an old woman then asked what the problem was. He gave two reasons. 1) he doubted his abilities to drive at speed (this coming from a man that can weave in and out of manila traffic) but more importantly he didn't want to get a ticket.

Interesting observation. During our younger son's first visit to Manila since his childhood days, he was cringing and closing his eyes during the many near misses on our way to the hotel. After a few days, he was more calm after observing that most vehicles had no scratches or dents from accidents. His conclusion was that the driving style was just different. 

In American Samoa, the top speed is 35 miles per hour. I was tense because the car could obviously go faster. The reason for the slow speed is nearly everyone had pick-up trucks and families rode at the back. After a few days, I adapted to their more leisurely driving style. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
accepted local practice

I am sure is, right along with setting up your Vulcanizing business in a lane of traffic. So is when you have a flat tire, not pulling over to the side of the road, or driving slowly to a place out of the flow of traffic to change it. As is doing a U turn (that turns into a 5 part Y turn) in a narrow part of the road, not bothering to take an extra 2 minutes of time and go to the next drive way. Not to mention the loaded container truck that will park near his depot, half on a side walk (blocking pedestrians) and half in a lane of traffic (blocking vehicles).

I am going to stick my neck out and put words in RBM's mouth. Its not that it is not accepted practice or maybe not even illegal, but we as westerners are sitting here scratching our heads wondering just what is going through the minds of folks that think nothing of inconveniencing their fellow citizens.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
what is going through the minds of folks that think nothing of inconveniencing their fellow citizens.

Good question.  When another motorcyclist cuts in front of me I ask that question.  When a motororist pulls out in front of me not caring that I have nowhere to go to avoid him, I ask that question.  When a vehicle passes my motorcycle and has nowhere to go so he pulls to the right and forces me to back away or drive off the road, I ask that question.  In dozens of traffic and road situations I ask that question.  And the answer is always the same:  Me first, then you.

• Like 3