Why Do They Do It.....

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
In American Samoa, the top speed is 35 miles per hour. I was tense because the car could obviously go faster.

Guam is the same JJ. Nice wide roads, lined, well lit, well paved and the only place I have been in the world where the speed limit on a military base is faster than the speed limit out in town :no: . (as a funny, I asked a local why the low speed limit, he pondered for a moment and said that if it takes longer to get somewhere it makes the island seem bigger lolz).

So even though it seemed silly, I slowed down. Why? Even though the roads could obviously handle a higher speed? Because it is the law.

• Like 3

deevey
Posted
Posted (edited)

Bottom line it'll take a multitude of Filipinos actually getting angry to do something about ... well everything that needs doing. 

That only happened once didn't it 30 odd years ago ? And it wasn't for drying rice on the road, thats for sure

As foreigners, frustrating as it is, we don't have any power, means or voice to make changes. That can only come from those who have the power to do so, and those in power want even the slightest change for the better (e.g. running water or new basketball hoops) seem like the community has won the lottery so they get voted in again.

Telling farmers in a farming community there would be any kind of enforcement of laws stating they cant dry their rice on the brand new road would ensure the other guy wins the next election !!  

Until theres a few million more folk realize the National problems (and dangerous inconveniences) are not, umm, normal ? Live the dream and be glad its not snowing :D

Edited by deevey
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
As foreigners, frustrating as it is, we don't have any power, means or voice to make changes.
:th_thbestpost:

So true Deevey. That is why I love this forum so much. I can come here, vent (politely) express my frustrations to the group and see if it is just me? Or do certain things bother others also. Since most of us do not interact very often with other expats this is a great place to make sure we have not gone completely around the bend :thumbsup: )

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted
this is a great place to make sure we have not gone completely around the bend  )

Too late for me!!!

:rolleyes:  :mocking:  :hystery:

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I think that it is because they can't read English:

post-2913-0-20900500-1427671273_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted