Here's A Good One, I'm Broke ( So What Happens.)

rw191010
Posted
Posted
i hold the purse strings and i always will

Best advice so far!  Also, consider renting versus piling every dollar you have into a house where you will never, ever have any financial interest.  Just a thought.

• Like 2

Coffeehound
Posted
Posted

i hold the purse strings and i always will

Best advice so far! Also, consider renting versus piling every dollar you have into a house where you will never, ever have any financial interest. Just a thought.

New best advice so far! A lifetime or 99 year lease affords you to walk away if exiting becomes necessary without the loss of all of that capital.

• Like 1

Petey
Posted
Posted

I couldnt think of anything worse than being locked up in a Hot Box in Philippines.

I know that this is a fictional story but being aware of potential situations and being sceptic of peoples intentions is the best way to be. Not acting with caution is a big mistake... no matter how much you love the people and country your in.

Always try to plan things to protect yourself. You may be a visitor, resident or questionable status of the Philippines... but remember... this is not your country and the mentality of the people is "your not one of them" no matter how good you think your friend is. If you have nothing to give then you are worthless to people. Sad. But true. 

Giving yourself piece for mind that if things "Do" get out of hand, you can rely on yourself.  Yes, it sounds selfish but if someone came to me and said "My mother died and i cannot afford the service - give me money". And i have a few thousand Pesos in my account, and knowing i have a a little fall back cash... do you think i would give the money? Absolutly not. If i wasnt here to give money and the same situation happened, how would they deal with the "service"? They would have a local gathering to help out.

The last 2 places i would ever want to be in Philippines is either in jail or homeless. I would choose death first.

Start saving for a rainy day guys and protect yourself...and i quote Forest Gump " Life is like a box of chocolates.. You never know what your gonna get".

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
jackson
Posted
Posted (edited)

A japanese spent 14 years in BOI jail. He was let go a couple of months ago... The only way out of here is a boat ride to Malaysia. 

al

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
Author banned. No point to stir this pot

chris49
Posted
Posted

I am fairly sure my well to do children would not give me financial support under normal circumstances. 

They do not expect me to get myself into a crisis, but let's say medical emergency and somehow temporary lack of funds. I think they would help out, but they are going to give me some hard words if I'm "broke" for no good reason.

Ditto the overstayer. The Embassy (American Community Services) uses all means possible to contact the person's family even down the line to extended relatives, in order to get funds. I know about that, but I'm not exactly sure what happens if it fails,

I thought at the British Embassy, as mentioned earlier in the thread, they will issue money on a Promissary Note...travel ban until it's repaid.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I thought at the British Embassy, as mentioned earlier in the thread, they will issue money on a Promissary Note...travel ban until it's repaid.

They said No! but it don't matter no more cos I died in custody  :no: I reckon that is what will happen to most.post-2148-0-05354700-1439193496_thumb.jp

Just saying  :rolleyes: post-2148-0-12751200-1439193548.png

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

I had a "friend" go down there last July. July 2014. I say friend because I cut ties with this guy and I had written about him once before on the forum.

He tried to be clever, going to the airport with a ticket. And a small amount of money, all he had. He was a few months delinquent so he was denied to exit by immigration. The amount was about 14k. He went to the British Embassy and the did issue him cash, 500 pounds I think. All on the same terms as described above.

He worked 3 months as a builder/carpenter back in UK and got back here last October. Since then he has lapsed and currently owes 20k if fines were to be calculated. They run a small carinderia, but that is his only income.

Since July 2014 I am not updated on the Embassy if any policy change.