Borrow, Lend, Or Just Give It Away

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
 Even in Canada the owner is responsible for the actions of anyone driving their car, unless they report it stolen.

Surely You jest Dave? if not, then Did this apply to your Bus?

JP :tiphat:

Thomas
Posted
Posted

BUT in some other laws about economics husband + wife is counted as SAME juridical person.

Can't see it in this instance Thomas, that would be like saying your wife crashed to car but they will Charge you because you happened to be in it at the time. Or Sat at at home even, watching TV.

NAH! I think you will Find the Onus on this, is for the immediate Blood Family Not in-laws

I mean if your Wife Kills the Mother or the Father in a Fit of Temper, you are not Guilty are you. (Well unless you were Part of the crime)  :rolleyes:

I wrote "economics".

Dave has allready answered about car.  If you are the owner, you don't even have to be in it to be responcible for the damage the driver do.  

That's why I don't want to have any vehicle in my name in Phils.  Well. Perhaps if I can afford an AFV 4WD to drive in nature where there are no people to hit   :)

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

No jest.  I bought my ex a car as part of the divorce settlement.  She kept MY plates on it and any time she got a ticket it went on MY license so I cannot afford to renew my driver's license in Canada.  As to the bus, if I got in an accident and you were a passenger, who ya gonna sue?  Me or the bus company?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

No jest.  

Hmmmmmmmmm well I see no point in Insurance then for a car if you are going to have to pay again as with a court case I read here

Crazy World we live In. 

But this has made me a selfish Git now, so Folks, please don't ask to lend my Lamborghini or the Jaguar, I am not going to lend them to any one now :no:

Early Morning all.  :morning1:

chico2663
Posted
Posted

Even in Canada the owner is responsible for the actions of anyone driving their car, unless they report it stolen.

in u.s.a. about 4 years ago; we had a windstorm that knocked out powers in city for 6 days. My cousin was using my truck to deliver pizzas and wrecked it.(I kept trying to get the jerk to bring it home so I could buy some ice for my freezer contents. needless to say he didn't.) My insurance rates went thru the sky. Lady tried to claim hurt real bad on a ford ranger! Didn't know at that time that was the law!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Didn't know at that time that was the law!

Talking to friends Last night, you me and quite a few others did not know this. I have had a look around quite a few websites and indeed owner responsibilities go far beyond the layman's interpretation of the Vehicular and mechanical ownership. I checked our some Insurance Company jargon and found that to overcome a lot of this, it is best to have additional Public Liability Insurance, just like companies do,

There is some PL clauses in the majority of car insurance, additional would be required if anyone lends out a car often.

Especially to gas happy Teenage children. :rolleyes:

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
 Me or the bus company?

Both along with anyone else close by.  Here attorneys just though all the sh&t on the wall and feed on what sticks.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
well I see no point in Insurance then for a car if you are going to have to pay again as with a court case I read here

No need, except that it is mandaory in some countries.  Check in your country and see if you let your kid borrow your car and drive it drunk and crashes if your insurance company will pay and then come after you to recoup their loss as YOU are responsible for lending your car to some one who commits an illegal act.  But I could be wrong, I only have my own experience to go by so check it for yourself.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Check in your country and see if you let your kid borrow your car

If your kid is under 25, that kid is not covered under your policy at all because it says drivers over 25 only. The police have charged kids with driving without insurance in that case. Public liability is standard in Canada usually at $500,000 but can be raised up to $2M.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

If you help someone when they're in trouble,

they will remember you when they're in trouble again.

• Like 4