S I M Card Registration Could Become Law

Mike S
Posted
Posted

http://www.mb.com.ph/mandatory-sim-card-registration-bill-nears-passage/

Mandatory SIM card registration bill nears passage

March 28, 2015

All prepaid subscribers need to register their Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) card should the proposed measure, which passed on second reading, becomes a law. This after members of the House committee on Information and Communications Technology, led by Chairman and Rizal Rep. Joel Roy Duavit, unanimously approved House Bill 5231, otherwise known as SIM Card […]

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

That will mark the end of the 25 peso Sim. Yet Another lets kick the poor in the Gonads.

JP :tiphat:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

8 years ago, when you purchased a sim card, the retailer had to 'activate it' (same as register it?) before it could be used. Now it is just insert and go.  There was a little bit of P.I.A with the previous process but once registered it was business as usual.

• Like 1

BigMook
Posted
Posted

I know for me I have been through dozens of sim cards. give # out to a couple girls and trash it later on.

I have no idea if this is good or bad, but i'm sure we wont be going through themas fast if its a pain to register each time

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Been that way here in Aus for years, no big deal. The purpose I guess is so that when you send a bomb threat they know who sent it.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

As long as registering is just a matter of signing up - not a new fee.  The poor don't need another fee.  But then again I know people with 5 or 6 SIM's... a fee might cut back on that.  They tie up a bunch of phone numbers that way.   I have got to quit seeing both sides of an issue.   :tiphat:

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Bet this change is being made under pressure from the USA so it is easier for the NSA to associate a phone number with a person in the Philippines.

Knowing the Philippines this will incur additional charges for entering and maintaining the data.

Gator
Posted
Posted

The purpose I guess is so that when you send a bomb threat they know who sent it.

They still might not really know as so many people here either have false ID's or use someone else's as they don't have enough peso's to get their own when they do need one.

Knowing the Philippines this will incur additional charges for entering and maintaining the data.

True, but will that also include the kickbacks to the politico's or will that be an extra fee?  :mocking:

• Like 1

forget_it
Posted
Posted

Theoretically a good idea, but I wonder if they will somehow deactivate the millions of unregistered sims already out in the wild. If not, this law will serve no apparent purpose.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Theoretically a good idea, but I wonder if they will somehow deactivate the millions of unregistered sims already out in the wild. If not, this law will serve no apparent purpose.

In Spain 5 years ago, this is exactly what they did, Telefonica made a Fortune in new SIM  sales. Then the Retailer had to register on Purchase. Took 5 mins as it was computerized. BTW no proof of Address no new Sim. Small outlets like the Sari Sari's here would have to complete a weekly Sheet to the Authorities Not sure how they would cope with the street vendors.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1