Philippine Retirement Destination

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

My wife and I are departing next week for a one month's stay in Cuenca, Ecuador. According to some guides, Cuenca is a popular retirement destination for North Americans with an expat community of over 4,000 Americans and Canadians.

I am thinking of writing a blog about Cuenca. I would like to do the same for the Philippines. Does anyone know a large town or small city with a similar high concentration of retired foreign nationals?  Metro Manila and Metro Cebu would be too broad. Any suggestions? Perhaps Baguio or Dumaguete? We would then schedule a one month visit later this year.  

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
Any suggestions? Perhaps Baguio or Dumaguete? We would then schedule a one month visit later this year.  

I don't know how many expats are in Dumaguete except to say 'too many' as they create a demand for a lot of imported goods, higher end accommodation and quality used vehicles BUT the large numbers of them also create a shortage of same and thus increased prices and more S.U.V. traffic on the roads.  

Edit:  As to suggestions, it would be much cheaper to hire someone to do that blog for you than to spend the money to come all the way over.  Or do you mean you are coming regardless and just trying to choose a destination?

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

JJ, I know there are a bunch of old Vet's In the Angeles and Subic areas. That is where the VFW is their membership is pretty big. Now if these are the type of retirees your thinking of? I don't know. A lot of the guys I talked to either got out of the service, married a Pinay and worked on base, opened a club etc.

Other than that, I don't think your going to find a large concentration of Retirees like you do in Baja California, Panama, Costa Rica, some of the Caribbean islands, where a couple retires "together" and looks for a retiree community. Seems to me that couples that retire will move to around the area where the wife is from.  Or those that retire and move here to be with a lady will end up where ever.

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

JJ,  I look forward to your report, this August (if healthy) we intend on at least 4-5 weeks looking for a place for a home.  We will be looking in west Cebu, Toledo-Balamban area.  Negros San Carlos and Valencia, trip to Siquijor then Santander, then motor to the city and go to check out Bohol.  We are planing to get an overview by spending 2 weeks in Cebu and one each in Negros and Bohol, hopefully an Idea of where to start when Fe retires. :999:  

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Edit: As to suggestions, it would be much cheaper to hire someone to do that blog for you than to spend the money to come all the way over.

I know a guy here, a writer in fact, who would love to do the blog for JJ. His name is Bob and you can pay him in Canadian dollars so right away, you get a 25% discount. Likely the city that he would pick would be Davao.

PS: Bob, don't forget my 3% commission.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Edit: As to suggestions, it would be much cheaper to hire someone to do that blog for you than to spend the money to come all the way over.

I know a guy here, a writer in fact, who would love to do the blog for JJ. His name is Bob and you can pay him in Canadian dollars so right away, you get a 25% discount. Likely the city that he would pick would be Davao.

PS: Bob, don't forget my 3% commission.

Payment up front and no time limits only!   :hystery:

At present, I have 7 novels on the go, 22 self-help books half done and a Google+ that has a whole 3 entries since I got here last year!

:rolleyes:  :mocking:

jon1
Posted
Posted

JJ I have yet to see a true retired community of expats. There are a lot of expats retired where I live but nothing like what you are looking for in Subic. I have quite a few friends that are retired and we get together once a week. They stay active playing golf, going to visit friends in AC and San Antonio, etc. There is a big community of retirees in the San Antonio area (maybe 400+?) but they are spread throughout the area. I know of a place in Pundaquit that is owned by about 2 dozen expats, private beach, gated community. But I find the place too rural and quite boring. Other than hiking the mountain and the beach. Not much else to do there. 

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Edit:  As to suggestions, it would be much cheaper to hire someone to do that blog for you than to spend the money to come all the way over.  Or do you mean you are coming regardless and just trying to choose a destination?

Family obligations require for me to schedule a trip to Manila before the end of the year. I thought of extending the trip to visit a popular retirement destination. I would like to do the first blog based on personal impressions and opinions.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Other than that, I don't think your going to find a large concentration of Retirees like you do in Baja California, Panama, Costa Rica, some of the Caribbean islands, where a couple retires "together" and looks for a retiree community. Seems to me that couples that retire will move to around the area where the wife is from.  Or those that retire and move here to be with a lady will end up where ever.

Ecuador, Panama, Belize, Costa Rica, and Colombia seem to be the popular retirement destinations for couples from North America. The Philippines seems to attract those who are married or are seeking Filipinas either as spouses or girl friends.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
JJ,  I look forward to your report, this August (if healthy) we intend on at least 4-5 weeks looking for a place for a home.  We will be looking in west Cebu, Toledo-Balamban area.  Negros San Carlos and Valencia, trip to Siquijor then Santander, then motor to the city and go to check out Bohol.  We are planing to get an overview by spending 2 weeks in Cebu and one each in Negros and Bohol, hopefully an Idea of where to start when Fe retires.

I will keep you posted. The writing style will be personal point of view. The purpose of the visit is possible retirement destination and I am exploring possible options. 

• Like 1