Freedom?

Larry45
Posted
Posted

I always see expats listing 'freedom' as one of the main reasons they live here, but it's usually in vague terms and never quite defined properly.  Is there any validity to this, or is it just another BS reason for foreigners to explain why they came here (without being honest).   And what freedoms does a foreigner actually have here?  As for me, I like regulations and laws, as it keeps all the idiots in line.  What's your thoughts?

• Like 3

bows00
Posted
Posted

They are "wanted" and running from the law? Band on the Run?

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

I always see expats listing 'freedom' as one of the main reasons they live here, but it's usually in vague terms and never quite defined properly.  Is there any validity to this, or is it just another BS reason for foreigners to explain why they came here (without being honest).   And what freedoms does a foreigner actually have here?  As for me, I like regulations and laws, as it keeps all the idiots in line.  What's your thoughts?

Not to get too political here but I think this is sometimes a buzzword for people who think their home country (the US for example) is too restrictive. 

For example my wife can't believe that we can't burn our leafs in our OWN yard.

The irony is that the freedom that people have in the Philippines to do whatever they want are the very things that so many expats hate:

Karaoke at 3:AM - "It's my house. I can do what I want."

Driving - We're pissed when laws aren't enforced.

Two standards of treatment for "locals" and "foreigners" - There should be a law against it. What law? And if such a law existed who would enforce it?

Pollution - What laws.

Well you get the idea. I agree with the OP and prefer the rule of law and someone to enforce it. But I do find it fun in the Philippines watching people do whatever they want.

Edited by davewe
  • Like 4

BigMook
Posted
Posted

freedom to love younger women.

most of us would get crazy looks at home. hel;l a 60yr old man with a 25 yr old wife and 2 small children would be frowned upon.

here the freedom is not being home and being able to love who you want without the obvious scrutiny

• Like 4

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

After 51 years of working my butt off, Retirement is Freedom.

Another form is to be able to speak your mind without fear of reprisals.

http://www.naturalnews.com/quotes/Quote-Freedom-Truth-Dalai-Lama.jpg

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
 Be very careful with that one here in the Philippines.  You could be speaking the truth and still be found guilty for defamation and libel. 
  • Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Be very careful with that one here in the Philippines.  You could be speaking the truth and still be found guilty for defamation and libel. 

Speaking your mind in Philippines could be a deadly choice. Worst case but still happens.

• Like 4

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Don't know if I've ever lived in freedom, perhaps the next life.........a long time from now.  So if we've never had it how do you miss it? I do like moving and living in different places (usually on rent day) as I consider different an adventure and feel sorry for those that stay 'home'.  I know many people, in my own extended family, or friends and people I've work with who will say  I can't leave this is home.  Some will tell tales of their great x 3 grand fathers uncles buried there. To this I say "Did them a lot of good huh?"  Some of us were raised or some how picked up the insatiable desire to see the other side of the mountain to speak and eat and drink with all those folks who  do things so differently and of course wrongly than me.  When they start to ask you for things other than help w/money raising or volunteering..they know you too well time to go. there are many adventures to live many friends to make, besides I have acquired 47??+/- nieces and nephews and only spoke face to face with two.  Almost all have children so for the next few years I plan an e-register of Fe's and my family with professions birthdays contact info,  I then can sell that info to other family members as they are spread throughout the RP, UAE, Norway Germany Canada and US,  I would bet that there are other places that are unknown.  Instant world networking for education skills or just a place  to say Hi and get a home cooked meal when traveling. Anyway that is my rationel for a place in RP.

• Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

:bash:   It is not libel nor defamation if it's true.  If it's not you reap what you sow.  And the Philippines is not so bad as many think remember VENDETTA is an Italian word.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
It is not libel nor defamation if it's true.

To true Gerald, to us that there were raised in the West where truth is the deciding factor. And even if it is true here in the Philippines, that's not to stop them from filing a case, or threatening. If someone files a complaint here, they could drag a person through the system for months, unless you reach a "fair" agreement in mediation.

• Like 4