Rice Direct From Farmer At Cebu Island

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I know several places at OTHER islands than Cebu,

but some Filipinos need some sacks of BROWN (=just treched, NOT milled) rice.  Preferingly close to Cebu city - Toledo region.

Do anyone know where such rice can be bought, preferingly direct from farmer?

(I try to make them eat healthier   :)    but brown rice cost crazy much of some odd reason.)

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Thomas I love brown rice and have no clue as to the higher cost.  You know of course that brown rice contains about 3-4 times the arsenic as white rice.  I would ask Dad about this, but he died.  Don't think it was the rice though. :bash: 

Thomas
Posted
Posted
You know of course that brown rice contains about 3-4 times the arsenic as white rice.
I suppouse that depend of IF there are arsenic in the soil it's grown on, or IF they ADD arsenic in pesticides   :)
  • Like 1

gusincebu
Posted
Posted

Good luck trying to get Filipinos to eat brown rice .. I personally eat brown rice whenever I do eat rice, and pay the crazy price at the market for it.. have yet to convince any of my guests to enjoy it , all say it smells, dont like the taste, too long to cook ..any bloody excuse ! So consequently have to keep white rice in supply in my kitchen also . A few years ago I was staying with a friend and his family in Toledo, where all the girls in the family ( ages 14, 18 & 23 ) ate Corn rice instead of white rice to reduce their sugar intake and avoid diabetes .. so they told me .

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Good luck trying to get Filipinos to eat brown rice .. I personally eat brown rice whenever I do eat rice, and pay the crazy price at the market for it.

We were mixing brown rice with white rice at a 1:3 ratio. At first there was a lot of short wrinkly noses but after awhile, they all liked it. Then, the last 10k bag was full of bugs so we stopped buying it. I never saw the corn rice but will look for it. I have just read that brown rice goes rancid after 6 to 8 weeks.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Good luck trying to get Filipinos to eat brown rice .. I personally eat brown rice whenever I do eat rice, and pay the crazy price at the market for it..

Yes, it's crazy price at the market.  I heared the price at market in Lapu-Lapu is around 100p per kg.

When the farmers sell MANY sacks, they get only around 18p per kg...

That's why I asked if anyone know of any rice farmer in (middle part of) Cebu island.

have yet to convince any of my guests to enjoy it , all say it smells, dont like the taste, too long to cook ..any bloody excuse ! So consequently have to keep white rice in supply in my kitchen also . A few years ago I was staying with a friend and his family in Toledo, where all the girls in the family ( ages 14, 18 & 23 ) ate Corn rice instead of white rice to reduce their sugar intake and avoid diabetes .. so they told me .

What happen if you supply only brown rice?   :)  

We were mixing brown rice with white rice at a 1:3 ratio. At first there was a lot of short wrinkly noses but after awhile, they all liked it. Then, the last 10k bag was full of bugs so we stopped buying it. 
Brown rice at farmers are only treshed (=only the outer shell is taken away) so it need extra cleaning.

It need longer cooking TOTALY.

Bugs prefer BROWN rice, because they know which has more nutrision   :)

A DISadvantage with brown rice is it has shorter storage time.

A SOLITION to this is PREboiling the brown rice.  (=Boiled a short while.) That kill if there are any bug eggs, and shorten the boiling time when it's time to make it ready to eat.   The preboiled brown rice I buy mostly take only 10 minutes to cook for me.

--

Have no one noticed a rice field anywhere in (middle part of) Cebu island?

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I was surprised that I cannot buy rice directly from the farmer or miller nor buy fish directly from the fisherman. It has to go through a few hands, marked up each time, before the consumer gets it.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I was surprised that I cannot buy rice directly from the farmer or miller nor buy fish directly from the fisherman. It has to go through a few hands, marked up each time, before the consumer gets it.

Oh.  I knew rice selling need special permit,

but I thought the farmers were exempt from needing such.   Or perhaps the farmers are exempt, but are scared the powerful traders will be angry at them, if they sell some direct...

BigMook
Posted
Posted

we have been using corn rice. better than white rice but not as good as brown rice.

bit more expensive than white, but not nearly as expensive as brown

oh yeah, and if the only thing you cook, amazingly enough they will eat it

• Like 2