Greeting From New Member ... We're Moving To Pi Next Week

william_c
Posted
Posted

Hello All,

I am William and wife Angelique, from Cebu, we are moving all our stuff there next week.

Most of our stuff, actually, has arrived through LBC.

Wife is dual citizen. I, however, think I need a 13A from BI? That is where we are headed upon

arrival. I will finish my life there as I am a retired engineer and plan to build and live in Cebu and never leave.

Former Navy enlistee I served in a helo squadron at Imperial Beach, CA. Great duty as a AT2.

Wife is a RN but doesn't plan to work.

Have lots of concerns making the move but with the wife's guidance and other expats should

be OK.

Want to start a discussion with a civil engineer about home construction. Need lots of technical

information about concrete, reinforcement for seismic, well or rain water supply options and

roof options.

Security is a big concern and need help and suggestions there.

Banking....need suggestions for a bank where I can transfer money to as needed from US.

Looking for a large, whole house, 220v to 110v transformer and I hear there may be some around Manila from the former US bases.

Caveats and other suggestions welcomed.

Regards,

William, Angie, Abby

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Welcome William, lots of institutional knowledge here, If I may suggest that you break down your questions into individual topics and be as specific as possible. I guarantee you will get lots of answers, the more specific the question the better the answers. For example if you just ask about "security" you will get answers ranging from the NPA to corrupt police and every thing in between lolol.

We did what Jolly suggested when we made the move. Got a 12 month BB Visa and 2 years later got my 13a.

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Greetings William_c and your wife Angelique

Hope your move goes smooth and Good Luck for your future retirement to Cebu.

Welcome to the forum. JB

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

Welcome William

I moved your topic as no point asking questions in introduction forum.

The easiest thing for you to do is ask for a babalikan visa when you enter the Philippines with your wife then you have 12 months plus to worry about getting a 13a. 

:cheersty:

Greetings William. JGF is correct, you get this on arrival. Have the wife approach the Immigration officer and then you follow on request. Have her request a Balkbayan Visa for you. That will give you one year free in country without having to deal with Immigration and extensions of the Tourist Visa ($560 annually). It also gives you time to get your ducks in a row on your housing etc.. Wait a minimum of 6 months before you go for the 13A conversion of your BB visa. This is so you only need a NBI check and nothing from your home state. Good luck!

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
Banking....need suggestions for a bank where I can transfer money to as needed from US.

Hello and welcome to the board.

Setting up a bank account here is not difficult. I don't know if a BB visa alone is enough or if you will also need an ACR card (maybe someone else can answer that), but opening up an account is easier then in the US as they don't ask for proof of residency or copies of anything other then your passport and ACR card (in my case as I'm here on 59 day tourist visa's). Simply fill out the application and, as you're a US citizen, a W-9 (form for the USA IRS tax authorities; included with the app). The account was opened immediately, but it took about 7 biz days to get my ATM/Debit card (Master Card backed).

As for banks themselves, you'll have to decide based on personal choice. I chose a peso savings account at PNB as they're one of the largest banks here, have many branches/remittance centers in the USA where I walk in and make a deposit when I'm there (and save the USD 35.00 wire transfer fee), plenty of offices scattered throughout the islands and they're on the BancNet system so if I use another banks ATM I don't pay any extra fees (as long they're on the same BancNet network of course). I would suggest you invest a little time and search through some of the more popular bank's websites, like Metrobank, PNB, BDO, and PBI and find the one that best fits your needs; pay close attention to the fees though as some can be quite high.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banks_in_the_Philippines

rw191010
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the Philippines.

I'd recommend getting on the ground and LISTENING a lot to some of the experienced guys here.  Construction here is dicey, and I'm an expeditionary builder myself, so I get your questions regarding seismic concerns, etc.  The one thing I know to be careful about in construction is to NOT give too much "up front" money.  There are SO many horror stories of money gone missing.

I transfer money to and from my BPI (Bank of the Philippines) account without bother.  There is a $15.00 charge per transfer.  Once you get to know your local branch manager, it is an easy process.

I'd recommend renting a place in the area you think you want to build.  You will learn a lot about the locals in the neighborhood.  I rent a 3 bedroom home with a nice yard, mango tree and coconut trees, etc. for 12,000 pesos per month and I have the owner's family on both sides of me.  It is a very secure and comfortable arrangement.  I've heard some horror stories about some folks really running into a mess when they move into a neighborhood.

All the best on this new adventure!

Rod

lyno 47
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum :cheersty: