Globe Usb Internet Sticks

mdn57
Posted
Posted

how good do the Globe internet connective sticks inserted in a USB port on a laptop work.  I am looking for just personal use, i was in Cebu recently and have a SIM card.  I have seen a blogger in the Visayans showing how he uses a Globe Internet stick, it seems to be run through mobile phone towers.

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I use a Smart pocket wifi which is a similar device, without the need to plug into the laptop. I have used a dongle but only in the UK. Out of those two options I would recommend the pocket wifi with whom ever provider you prefer.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

When I first moved here I used it until I got regular service. Now I keep the stick around with some cards as a back up. Speed is ok, not great, but gets the job done.

Gator
Posted
Posted

Depends if 3G or 4G/LTE, 3G can be painfully slow; especially on weekends and around any of the holidays (seems to be at least one holiday per week here, lol). I used the Globe 3G Tattoo when I first got here, service was mostly horrible. Switched to a Huawei 4G/LTE device with Smart's service (1k per month unli) and love it (as reported in previous post).

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

how good do the Globe internet connective sticks inserted in a USB port on a laptop work.  I am looking for just personal use, i was in Cebu recently and have a SIM card.  I have seen a blogger in the Visayans showing how he uses a Globe Internet stick, it seems to be run through mobile phone towers.

try this site .maybe it can give some indication of how your signal strength may be .

This will be suitable for those who live outside a major city/town so you can test what your signal is.

http://opensignal.com/networks/philippines/globe-coverage

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
I use a Smart pocket wifi which is a similar device

I agree but use Globe pocket wifi (Globe and Smart are both good but signal is better depending on where you are).  The USB stick is ancient history.  The Pocket wifi device is more convenient and gives faster speed and is easier to move around to different spots in your room if you have a weak signal.  Cost of load is the same.  Cost of device is very similar AND you can share the wifi connection with gf if you have one that day.

how good do the Globe internet connective sticks inserted in a USB port on a laptop work

How well do they work?  As mentioned, the USB sticks work almost as well as the pocket wifi and I used both for the last 3 years until I was able to get a wired in Internet service.  They were satisfactory for forum use and checking email etc but unsatisfactory when used for watching youtube or downloading movies or playing games that use a lot of bandwidth.

My Conclusion:  Great connection when nothing better is available.  Upgrade to Wimax or wired service when available.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

• 2 weeks later...
Petey
Posted
Posted

Where i have been living Globe has always been the most reliable service. I was using the 4G 7.5mb stick. Would never get up to using max speed. That said i was more than able to play online gaming that required a decent connection - the ping to USA was a little high but no so bad that it was unplayable.

If you have a Blackberry that uses the normal full size SIM you could actually use BBMAX599 as would still give you free access to the internet with an 800MB allowance per 24hrs for 30 days. Just swap the SIM from your phone and put in your Stick. Failing that just use SUPERSURF999 for exactly the same allowance for the same amount of days.

Be aware of throttling with Globe. At about 400mb in that 24hrs usage, disconnect from the internet. Then restart. This will prevent throttling. Should you get throttled you will receive a message telling you to STOP current plan and resubscribe for normal browsing speeds. Don't cancel the subscription. Just turn it off for the night and at midnight it will automatically reset and you will be back to normal speeds.