P126-M Smuggled Rice Seized In Negros

chris49
Posted
Posted

It seems strange.  If rice is subsidized here, then illegal imported rice would cost more than the subsidized NFA rice?

Rice trading is HARD REGULATED in Phils  (but not for brown rice to CUSTOMERS it seem, because no values told for such where regulation prices for other rice types are told. Perhaps that's why the brown rice price to customers is so unproportional high.)

(As I have understood it) the traders and resaler prices are MAXIMUM prices to customer,

while the government GUARANTEE a MINIMUM price the farmers get to try to make them produce MORE rice  (Last I saw was 17:40 per kg guaranteed.)  So IF Malaysian rice (not milled) cost less than 17:40 including transport to Phils, it can be profit to smuggle it. If not get caught   :mocking:

Edit:  I don't know the rice price from where they smuggle, but as comparing 2014 was it  385-395 USD per Metric ton in Viet-Nam. I don't remember the USD value then, but if it was as now, then that's around 150 pesos per kg.

Thomas, my good friend. With all due respect, I don't know who gives you your information. As you have said you are not here in the Philippines, but I can assure you, your numbers are way off or 5 years out of date.

You are quoting the price of palay, unmillled rice, it does go between 17-21/kg if picked and dried properly. Then if taken to a mill, the current NFA rice gets about 30 or a bit more depends on the variety. Sinendomeng is currently around 41 and is the top local variety here in the north, ranging 38-44 over a year, but most local farmers don't grow that high standard.

Anyway, here's the attraction to the smuggler and the vendor. And this goes on up and down the coast here in the north and I have seen the boats come to within 200m of shore, Chinese reg vessels. The Chinese rice is bought way under, lets say at 20/kg...now they mix that with the local varieties, especially the higher grades, let's say 50%. The vendor now has an additional whopping 10 pesos per kg profit. So multiply that out and see the difference.

And it's not new and has been going on long term.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Thomas, my good friend. With all due respect, I don't know who gives you your information. As you have said you are not here in the Philippines, but I can assure you, your numbers are way off or 5 years out of date.
It's the LAST prices they have published at the OFFICIAL site for the rice restriction   :)    when I looked rather recently.  I asume the prices change depending of how long time since the main harvests were.

(Plus I have got info from them who do "Harvest sharing", what they got, but that was a year ago.  Brown rice price in Lapu-Lapu in market (small amount) I were told just a month ago.)

As I wrote 17:40 is the MIMIMUM price the GOVERNMENT GUARANTEE the farmers get for palay, so of course the prices can be higher.   I don't remember if there are regional differences, but it would be odd if it aren't for the milled rice.

17.00   + 0.20  + 0.20 for extra steps farmers do normaly   = 17.40 per kg.  

(Milled rice types they tell price for there too, but brown rice price they don't tell there. )

chris49
Posted
Posted

It's the LAST prices they have published at the OFFICIAL site for the rice restriction   :)    when I looked rather recently.  I asume the prices change depending of how long time since the main harvests were.

(Plus I have got info from them who do "Harvest sharing", what they got, but that was a year ago.  Brown rice price in Lapu-Lapu in market (small amount) I were told just a month ago.)

As I wrote 17:40 is the MIMIMUM price the GOVERNMENT GUARANTEE the farmers get for palay, so of course the prices can be higher.   I don't remember if there are regional differences, but it would be odd if it aren't for the milled rice.

17.00   + 0.20  + 0.20 for extra steps farmers do normaly   = 17.40 per kg.  

(Milled rice types they tell price for there too, but brown rice price they don't tell there. )

You did clarify, so that's good. And meanwhile I went down to the rice mill and talked a few of the growers.

Correct. Palay gets around 18 pesos dried. It goes up to a range of 22-23 on the 2nd crop and whenever there's a shortage in the market,

Milled rice. The farmer/grower dries the palay and takes in down to the mill,  Different varieties and different qualities do exist, but lumping them all together the farmer can get 30-33 pesos/kg, directly from the mill. He might also sell it a small bit higher, but there would be more transportation and handling costs.

In your first post you did not differentiate palay and milled rice, but you did it now in your reply.

As I have said, Chinese rice, which is milled btw. (you can't hold palay that long, it will spoil),goes way under the Phils price, and I'm sure the same applies to the Malaysian. So that mixing it, or even substituting it is a highly profitable business.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
In your first post you did not differentiate palay and milled rice
Well. I DID (=I separated the selling to customers (=milled) from palay)  but I told only price for palay, so I could have told it more clear.  
Milled rice. The farmer/grower dries the palay and takes in down to the mill, Different varieties and different qualities do exist, but lumping them all together the farmer can get 30-33 pesos/kg, directly from the mill. He might also sell it a small bit higher, but there would be more transportation and handling costs.
  ((Well. As I have understood it, traders/wholesalers totaly handle much more MILLED rice than farmers do totaly. If so that profit part goes to the traders/wholesalers.))
As I have said, Chinese rice, which is milled btw.
Yes, more corect to compare with milled prices.   
(you can't hold palay that long, it will spoil)
Well. Corect it's LESS storing time for palay,

BUT if preboil it, then the possible storing time become much longer.  (I store such in Sweden some months normaly. Before that I don't know how long time it have been transported and in shops, but I suppouse more than a month, because it's transported from the other side of the world (=Thailand.)

chris49
Posted
Posted

Good reply.

Thomas, I realize you are from Sweden and English is not your first language.

Palay=rice including the stems which is picked directly from the field, then dried, and it's still palay until it is milled, then it's rice.

Here is your last statement.

Well. Corect it's LESS storing time for palay,

BUT if preboil it, then the possible storing time become much longer.  (I store such in Sweden some months normaly. Before that I don't know how long time it have been transported and in shops, but I suppouse more than a month, because it's transported from the other side of the world (=Thailand.)

You mention here palay. But clearly you are talking about milled and packaged rice which comes from Thailand. Milled rice which is loose could attract moisture and get mouldy. Milled rice like the Thai rice is sealed. The lifespan is long term.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

There is a website by he Philippine Department of Agricultural Statistics that gives you the most accurate data on commodity prices at the wholesale and retail level. Agents visit outlets three times a week and compile the information. Data includes the price of rice in different parts of the country.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Palay=rice including the stems which is picked directly from the field, then dried, and it's still palay until it is milled, then it's rice.
Including the stems??   What are they calling them without just the stems then?

I thought "palay" mean them, which can be used as seeds, so WITHOUT the stems. No need to be on the stems then.

But I said SOME wrong   :)  anyway.   I ment where the rice husks are taken away, but NOT milled to white rice..

chris49
Posted
Posted

Including the stems??   What are they calling them without just the stems then?

I thought "palay" mean them, which can be used as seeds, so WITHOUT the stems. No need to be on the stems then.

But I said SOME wrong   :)  anyway.   I ment where the rice husks are taken away, but NOT milled to white rice..

Yes Thomas. And I meant to say they thresh out the stems and send it to the mill. My mistake there.

And if it's not cleaned and threshed it's called "wet" palay..14 pesos/kg.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Just an Update on this issue. :thumbsup:

http://www.visayandailystar.com/2015/April/09/negor1.htm

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Just an Update on this issue. :thumbsup:

http://www.visayandailystar.com/2015/April/09/negor1.htm

JP :tiphat:

Mate that would be similar to what happens here up north. There's no visible customs or coast guard up here. I think it's long term and I think it's with the tacit co-operation of customs officials. I think they will do a "sting" now and then, especially if it's to a rival trader.

That would be from China and Vietnam. Not sure on Thailand, but those 3 countries reported to have  an annual surplus of rice. While the Philippines will face shortages from time to time esp in bad weather. And over time more rice land has been converted to fish farms, biodiesil, etc.

Malaysia in the case above because it's from down south. And I suspect the "Malaysian" rice might come from another source. Maybe Indonesia.