Hong Kong Disneyland Advice Needed

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

We are thinking about going to Disneyland next month and I recall that several members have made the trip.  Any advice on:

1,  Tour operators for packages

2.  Hotels, etc.

We would fly out of Clark and I don't anticipate any issues getting a reasonable airline ticket.

I saw an ad in a Manila newspaper from a tour operator who had a deal for p3999 pp without flight, 2 nights hotel (don't no what hotel), admission to Disney and all transfers.  Seems like a good deal but I have no idea it they are reputable or if the hotel is any good.

Added by edit:  I think we might like to do a city tour as well.  Do they have hop on hop off?  Any other city tours that are good?  Arrange at the hotel?  Maybe one day at Disney and 1 day of a partial city tour.

Edited by OnMyWay

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

I would be distrustful of the hotels included in the cheap tour packages but it depends on what level of comfort you need.  I like the Novotel just 15 minutes by bus from the Hong Kong airport.  It is right beside the light rail terminal and can get you to Disneyland in 20 minutes.  Price is higher than the cheapo places but you get what you pay for.  That Novotel is also just across the street from the cable car to take you up to the Buddhist village.  If it is a quick trip of just a couple days to see Disneyland then I recommend that hotel.  If you are staying longer you will probably want to shop around for cheaper.  You can easily see all of Hong Kong Disney in one day.  Get there at opening and stay until closing and there will be no need to go back for another day.

EDIT:  Many hotels from the tour packages are located in the Chungking Mansions.  Lots of different names of hotels with the same address.  Read the link before deciding if that is where you want to stay.  Its not for me.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Thanks Dave, very helpful!  I stayed in Novatels in Europe and liked them.  Which one is that?  There are a few in Hong Kong and I don't know the areas well enough to know which is which quickly.

Yup, a package with the hotel in that place would be a no go!

Markham
Posted
Posted

I'd book a stay at the Holiday Inn on the "Golden Mile" (aka Nathan Road) on Kowloon-side, nearest underground station is Tsim Sha Tsui. You can book online - using JGF's link(?) - and it isn't any more expensive than the travel agency packages you see advertised here. Or wasn't when we booked! But if you do take one of those supposedly cheap packages, it will NOT include breakfast in the hotel. You will be given vouchers for some soup kitchen-style cafe in one of the malls which you exchange for something completely unrecognisable!

You can take the underground to Disney World on Lantau Island though you will have to change trains at least once and possibly twice (depending on which way you go!). The park opens at 10am and you should be there at that time if you want to go on the 8 or so rides. From about 11am until 3pm, the park will be full of mainland Chinese on an 'away-day' paid for by their factory and they automatically go to the front of the queue regardless.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

http://www.novotel.com/gb/hotel-6239-novotel-hong-kong-citygate/index.shtml

That is the Novotel I like and it is a very short bus ride from the airport (about $3 hongkong).  I seem to remember they provide a free shuttle bus service too.  I book through Agoda to get fair prices but fair prices in Hong Kong and area are much higher than Philippines.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

We are looking at a trip to either Singapore or Hong Kong (Universal Studios or Disney).  What I found at the travel agents offices here is a required 1/2 day "City Tour" and only a 1/2 day Disney.  It also says it will cost p3,000 to skip the tour... sounds like a timeshare to me....

So far I have not good looking tour packages.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

We are looking at a trip to either Singapore or Hong Kong (Universal Studios or Disney).  What I found at the travel agents offices here is a required 1/2 day "City Tour" and only a 1/2 day Disney.  It also says it will cost p3,000 to skip the tour... sounds like a timeshare to me....

So far I have not good looking tour packages.

I didn't detect the timeshare angle but I noted that they all go to the same places on the city tour and they sound like the type of places that probably pay the tour operators to bring the tourists there.

I forgot to mention an important fact and that is that little Katy (about `14 months then) will be with us.  For that reason I may splurge and stay at the Disney Hollywood hotel.  It is not much more than staying at one of the nicer airport area hotels and would be a huge advantage with the baby.  We would be able to take breaks from the park and go back to the room for naps, which I need as well in my advancing years.   :)

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

We "did" HK Disneyland last May.

We flew from Clark on Air Asia. Be warned that the Immigration staff gave K and small k (six year old stepson) a real grilling, and we were only permitted to travel when we produced a photo of us with a couple of well known Filipino journalists.

We stayed with friends, so I cannot offer useful advice on the hotel side of things (I always stay in the Mariners' Club) but yed, Holiday Inn Golden Mile is OK, so are the airport hotels, avoid packages.

Small k was "Disney-ed out" by 3pm and had seen and done all that he could manage in one day, so maybe a hotel on the site with a two day pass is best.

Here we are on the way home again...

gallery_4318_276_70002.jpg

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 2

canadamale
Posted
Posted

Went to Singapore with the gf, first trip for her outside ph, stayed at the pan orchard hotel on orchard street, very expenisive but very nice hotel, first day just wandered around the city taking city buses, next day in the morning we took a on/off bus tour, chinatown, budist temple, and in the afternoon taxi to universal studios, gf idea to go to universal atudio, i would of been content to wander around chinatown, universal studio was nice tho stopped at the planet hollywood restaurant to eat and had a good time chatting with the Philippine workers there. I would recommend Singapore for a visit,

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
very expenisive but very nice

When I used to take the gf to Hong Kong for 5 days I budgeted between 100K and 150K pesos depending on how tight money was.  How would that compare to a trip to Singapore?

• Like 1