Purchasing Working Farm In Cebu/davao

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Cheers for all the replies,

it certainly does sound like a mission and a half, maybe a small lot with a house on it up in the mountain where its peaceful in my wifes name and extend my visa while im there up to approx 12 months at a time ?

But the two things for me is how could i keep myself busy and not be reliant on any of my savings in Australia while im there

Probably a question a lot of people ask themselves, it would be a good life if you could set it up that way ?

If I understand your question correctly what you want is a place to live and an income enough to support you and your wife of from that land.

Use the search function for working in Philippines. Many folks do ask that question but there are few options.

Also search for the many postings on visa's there are a number of things you can learn.

As far as I know none of our members living in Philippines have been able to support themselves from an agricultural endeavor.  

If you move Filipino family members to live and work on your farm in most cases they will own that farm. One way or the other.

I wish I had better news. Nothing to stop you from getting a nice little farm to keep busy but you will need an income from Oz. 

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
extend my visa while im there up to approx 12 months at a time ?
Except if your wife entry at the same as you, so you can get Balikbayan "Visa"  (=instead of Visa)

then you get max 6 months extension each time.

Being a resident of Davao, I would have to say to not look this way for the size farm you want.  Now if you want something about 800 sq meters that has potential for a few pigs, chickens and fruit, I know of a great lot within the city limits but in a country setting (Calinan - still part of Davao City and with several expat neighbours) and selling for P600k.  But you would need to build a house too.  

I would suggest looking at somewhere on Cebu Island.  Get away from the city itself and you may find what you are looking for.

600k for only 800 sqm WITHOUT house?!   That's very EXPENSIVE when it's rural farmland.

E g at Bohol they had a project a year ago selling "perfect" rice land (= IRRIGATED in a watering system with big dam for watering). 400k per 10 000 sqm.  Some are selling.

"Mountain farmland" can be bought for much less.    The cheapest I have seen for PUBLIC offer is 0,80 per sqm, but that's very uncommon. Rather many are fot sale for around 20p per sqm, but the harder to reach the easier to buy cheap. 

Sad I weren't ready to buy, it was sold fast:  10 hektares (=100 000 sqm) over half covered with half grown forest, needing clearing.  The rest cleared to be farmland.  (But I believe better suiting for forest.) Need 4WD to get up, smooth slope, but to steep for a common car.  2 wood HOUSES beside each other. BETTER quality than normal Filipino houses. Not as good as the stone house I want, but enough to live in some years. 3 bedrooms totaly.  A bit "off" located at "backside" at Palawan, but I want to be away from people anyway :mocking:   but it's still on the main island.  Only 1 million pesos !!!

Thomas
Posted
Posted
working in Philippines. Many folks do ask that question but there are few options.
Well. There are rather many options, I have some favorites, which I don't tell the more uncommon ones of before I have chosen myself    :)      But foreigners aren't allowed to do a list of jobs as being e g farm or forestry WORKER ourself, but we can be LEADERS for the workers.

I know of these foreigners with plus result rural business:

/One have a profitable resort BUT he earn bad.

/I don't know him that close, so I don't know how good his result is, but he was contempt with his combination of tourist place with ocean related activities and oil dwarf palms.

/An other foreigner earned GOOD at coco oil, but the price has dropted since that, so I don't know the result now.

We need WORK PERMIT for the allowed jobs too.   I don't know though if we need work permit to "keep an eye" on our investments   :)

• Like 1

Keith44
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the replies

Balikbayan visa is sounding the sensible option and also a work permit for allowed jobs

As it is turning out investors buiding apartments are moving in on my mother in laws nipa huts built on a river side in minglanila Cebu and Mum and the kids will be pushed out of there at the end of this year

I am thinking to purchase a small lot of land with a house in the hills of Moalboal as i like that area and i have seen many young kids making their way home from school in the hills so Mum and 5 other kids should have no problem living there. ?

Also Mum has said when the time comes when they have to vacate she would like to take all the nipa hut material with her and could use it to build a hut on the new land alongside the already built house so there is room for all

Mum could work a few pigs chickens and veges on there while the kids school and i would need to buy a decent 4wd aswell 

The reason why im explaining this is to get all the feedback i can positive and negative as it is a big step

Thanks 

Keith

chris49
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the replies

Balikbayan visa is sounding the sensible option and also a work permit for allowed jobs

As it is turning out investors buiding apartments are moving in on my mother in laws nipa huts built on a river side in minglanila Cebu and Mum and the kids will be pushed out of there at the end of this year

I am thinking to purchase a small lot of land with a house in the hills of Moalboal as i like that area and i have seen many young kids making their way home from school in the hills so Mum and 5 other kids should have no problem living there. ?

Also Mum has said when the time comes when they have to vacate she would like to take all the nipa hut material with her and could use it to build a hut on the new land alongside the already built house so there is room for all

Mum could work a few pigs chickens and veges on there while the kids school and i would need to buy a decent 4wd aswell 

The reason why im explaining this is to get all the feedback i can positive and negative as it is a big step

Thanks 

Keith

Mate you have a long way to go.

There's no work permit issued an a Balikbayan Visa. And there's not too many, if any, jobs available. The only one's I know of are as an English speaking Call Center Agent in Metro Manila.

The Gov't definitely has laws on the relocation off squatters, illegal occupants. To paraphrase, but not quoting directly, there is a requirement that they should be given 6 months notice and will be offered a new site to live in. It's not that great , either, there have been some quite intense riots and demonstrations over the subject in recent years.

And mate, you are young I gather. Most of us over here are retirees, some disabled. Or maybe the wealthy type who can maintain a family here and visit a few months per year.

Tell us more about your personal circumstances mate. Age? Do you have kids with your Filipina wife. What employment, you and her?

You said Geradlton. Would that be mining? Or farming? Fishing?

That's a prolific area and a place a lot of people wouldn't mind living, so why leave at all? Except for a yearly trip to visit the family.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
my mother in laws nipa huts built on a river side in minglanila Cebu and Mum and the kids will be pushed out of there at the end of this year I am thinking to purchase a small lot of land with a house in the hills of Moalboal as i like that area and i have seen many young kids making their way home from school in the hills so Mum and 5 other kids should have no problem living there. ?
With much people around in Minglanilla?   Some "city people" can get "Lonely calm illness" if living in nice calm nature  :mocking:  
It's rather far to Moalboal, so not sure if it's worth to transport the cheapest bigest part, instead of buy new there. Perhaps you can get the timber from the land you buy   :) 
Does she/anyone has responcibility and skill to do such? Some do it good, some "take care" of the pigs so bad, so many die...

Perhaps worth checking chicken/egg production. I believe that's harder to mess up  :)  for unexperienced.  I don't know if there are such still, but it has been a support program where poor got a start set FOR FREE including feed for ten years. (Worth around 35 000p). Then the poor are suppoused to finance the future themselves by selling eggs, and chicken when it's time to replace them, when they don't produce eggs any good no more after 1 - 1.5 year.

Driving the kids to school, or are they prepared to get there themselves?   

Some Filipinos walk far, while even some rural living find 400 meters "far"  *  :mocking:     so even some poor pay tricycle for such distance, when they have money to it!! 

(400 meters is what I have to my MAILBOX at my Swedish house, and I walk such distance with CRUTCHES now and then...)

* I asked a Filipina from a mountain village:

-How is your river? Can it be used to paddle canoe in during the dry period?

-River??  There is no river here.

-?? But I see one at map just 200 meters from where your village road ends.

-Oh. You mean that! That's faaaaar from the village.

:hystery:

• 3 weeks later...
Markham
Posted
Posted
600k for only 800 sqm WITHOUT house?! That's very EXPENSIVE when it's rural farmland.

No it's neither expensive nor is it rural.Land within the city limits attracts a premium and the closer it is to the city proper, the higher the price per square. I have 1500 sq metres available for 1.5 Million also within the city limits but closer to downtown than Calinan.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

600k for only 800 sqm WITHOUT house?! That's very EXPENSIVE when it's rural farmland.

No it's neither expensive nor is it rural.Land within the city limits attracts a premium and the closer it is to the city proper, the higher the price per square. I have 1500 sq metres available for 1.5 Million also within the city limits but closer to downtown than Calinan.

Yes, but they looked for land to have animals and fruit trees on. Then is 600k for only 800 sqm very expensive  :)

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Except if your wife entry at the same as you, so you can get Balikbayan "Visa"  (=instead of Visa) then you get max 6 months extension each time.  

To clear this up, a Balikbayan privilege is for an initial stay of 12 months, most seem to believe that 12 months is the most you can stay but you can extend this for up to another 6 months and continue from what it appears to say up to 36 months.  No you can not work on this Privilege. 

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/index.php/faqs/visa-inquiry/balikbayan-previlege

3. What are the privileges of a Balikbayan?

Those who are admitted as Balikbayans are given an initial stay of one (1) year. They may extend their stay for another one (1), two (2) or six (6) months provided that they present their valid passport and filled out the visa extension form and submit it to the Visa Extension Section in the BI Main Office or any BI Offices nationwide. An additional requirement will be ask for Balikbayans who have stayed in the Philippines after thirty six (36) months

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
An additional requirement will be ask for Balikbayans who have stayed in the Philippines after thirty six (36) months

I wonder what that "additional requirement" may be,( forms,documents, or $$$)?

Anyone have experience with the Balikbayan extensions?