Wife Is Scared - Leaving Pi's For The First Time

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Ok, I am trying to get my balikbayan visa so we are planning a quick getaway to Hong Kong (also for Disney).    I see that I will get a 90 entry stamp in Hong Kong, as a US citizen, and she will get 14 days as a PI citizen.  No visa required for either of us. So far so good....

She is very concerned about the horror stories at the immigration, leaving the PI's.  We are married, her passport has my last name (our last name really).  It is a virgin passport - as she has never left the country.  She did have an old passport in her maiden name but never used it.  I am 51, she is 26, we have been married almost 1 year, been living together a little over 2 years.

Should she expect any trouble with immigration laving the country?  Is there any paperwork/pictures/whatever that would help? 

• Like 2

afathertobe
Posted
Posted

I think it really helps if you have a lot of supporting documents that prove your relationship. It helps if you both answer the questions by the immigration officer the same way - you in English, her in Tagalog. 

From my experience they are more about trying to figure out if the story holds rathen than a specific document or proof. 

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

It should be no problem. We have went to Canada and Macau 3 and 4 times. We are not married hence we have different last names. Same age difference as you two. Never had any type of problem with immigration at either ends.

Bring your laptop with pictures and marriage contract as you will need it for the BB visa.

A virgin passport is just like a virgin....after the first time....no problem!

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Ok, I am trying to get my balikbayan visa so we are planning a quick getaway to Hong Kong (also for Disney).    I see that I will get a 90 entry stamp in Hong Kong, as a US citizen, and she will get 14 days as a PI citizen.  No visa required for either of us. So far so good....

She is very concerned about the horror stories at the immigration, leaving the PI's.  We are married, her passport has my last name (our last name really).  It is a virgin passport - as she has never left the country.  She did have an old passport in her maiden name but never used it.  I am 51, she is 26, we have been married almost 1 year, been living together a little over 2 years.

Should she expect any trouble with immigration laving the country?  Is there any paperwork/pictures/whatever that would help? 

Immigration is not concerned about such things. I see no problem at all. NSO marriage certificate of course you need that.

Good idea, getting the Balikbayan visa and having a short holiday at the same time.

How about you Tim? You will need another outbound ticket from the Philippines to show in Hong Kong.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Should she expect any trouble with immigration laving the country?

My bet is that you won't have any trouble at all, beyond the officials asking her a few standard questions and probably asking to see her return tickets and hotel reservations.

If I were you I would ask those same officials if you need an "onward ticket" when you come back on a BB stamp.  Different people have had different results when returning as the foreign spouse with the BB filipina.  Would be nice to know in advance if they will expect you to have one.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have heard you don't need an exit ticket if you are going to get a bb stamp - but how does the airline know you are getting one?  I went ahead and just bought a cheap throwaway ticket.  But i should ask.... it would be nice to know next year on our next BB stamp vacation :tiphat:

...or I could just get a 13a

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

I have heard you don't need an exit ticket if you are going to get a bb stamp - but how does the airline know you are getting one?  I went ahead and just bought a cheap throwaway ticket.  But i should ask.... it would be nice to know next year on our next BB stamp vacation :tiphat:

...or I could just get a 13a

13 a...yes.

Cheap, throwaway ticket. Yes, you need it. And with a 13 a, even if you go out, you will not need it.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)

There should be no problems if you are married, have your NSO certified marriage certificate, show round trip airline tickets and your wife's passport has her married name. First time I did the same the BI official was very nice and suggested without us even asking that I get a BB stamp on our return. This was at NAIA Terminal 3.

You will need the throwaway ticket to depart Hong Kong since you can not depend on the airline to understand BB stamp, etc.

Oh, make sure you inform her about going through airport security. Prohibited items, etc.

Edited by earthdome
  • Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Cant help you at all, but have a great trip

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted

I have traveled internationally with my wife, with my wife before she was my wife, and ahem, with a previous Filipina gf. No problems. Seems to me the 1st time I left the country with my wife (when she was my fiancé) I had to sign something, but can't recall the specifics. I really wouldn't worry.

• Like 1