Wife Is Scared - Leaving Pi's For The First Time

jon1
Posted
Posted

There should be no problems if you are married, have your NSO certified marriage certificate, show round trip airline tickets and your wife's passport has her married name. First time I did the same the BI official was very nice and suggested without us even asking that I get a BB stamp on our return. This was at NAIA Terminal 3.

You will need the throwaway ticket to depart Hong Kong since you can not depend on the airline to understand BB stamp, etc.

Oh, make sure you inform her about going through airport security. Prohibited items, etc.

I had the same experience at Terminal 3.

You definitely need that onward ticket as the airline in HK will not let you on the plane. A BB stamp is a "privilige" not a Visa. So the airline will not accept that as it is not a 100% guarantee that you will get it on arrival. Although I have never heard of anyone being turned down that had the NSO Marriage Cert and the wife's passport in her married name.

I would also suggest that you prep your wife for the questions. Tell her to only answer what is asked, don't tell them any long stories, etc.. Why not tell them that this is your overdue Honeymoon? If asked why so long, tell them the truth about how long it took to get a NSO Marriage Cert and all of the other necessary paperwork to get her new passport in her married name. 

Enjoy the trip!

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I"m looking forward to my first trip out and back after we are married...  Our age difference is even larger than yours!  I'm 57 and she's going to be 22 this May...  Luckily I don't look my age and the guys at Immigration always joke about this will get me a young wife...  

I'm trying to remember and my laptop keep saying ti's going to sleep now...  darn low batteries!  When you come back for the BB stamp, I believe you are both to go through the same line at Immigration...  anyone else confirm  this while I go home to recharge?

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

I"m looking forward to my first trip out and back after we are married...  Our age difference is even larger than yours!  I'm 57 and she's going to be 22 this May...  Luckily I don't look my age and the guys at Immigration always joke about this will get me a young wife...  

I'm trying to remember and my laptop keep saying ti's going to sleep now...  darn low batteries!  When you come back for the BB stamp, I believe you are both to go through the same line at Immigration...  anyone else confirm  this while I go home to recharge?

Yes you both go to the counter together. Let your wife take the lead and interact with the immigrations officer. You just stand there and only talk if talked to. We had our stamps in about a minute.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Luckily I don't look my age

No foreigners here 'look their age'.  I have yet to see a filipino say:  Yeah, I figured you were about that old.   Every single one will say to every foreigner:  You look much younger than that.

So anyone who wants to knock a few years off their age should move here  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
 You look much younger than that.

:thumbs-up-smile: At least they smile when they say that to me.

It's just that all us 'kanos' look alike.

except my aunt she has a better muschate than me 

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Ok, I am trying to get my balikbayan visa so we are planning a quick getaway to Hong Kong (also for Disney).    I see that I will get a 90 entry stamp in Hong Kong, as a US citizen, and she will get 14 days as a PI citizen.  No visa required for either of us. So far so good....

She is very concerned about the horror stories at the immigration, leaving the PI's.  We are married, her passport has my last name (our last name really).  It is a virgin passport - as she has never left the country.  She did have an old passport in her maiden name but never used it.  I am 51, she is 26, we have been married almost 1 year, been living together a little over 2 years.

Should she expect any trouble with immigration laving the country?  Is there any paperwork/pictures/whatever that would help? 

Well, we did have a bit of trouble. K and small k had not travelled abroad before. Last May, we chose to fly to Hong Kong for a short holiday, by Air Asia from Clark. 

We are not married and I am not small k's biological father. We had return tickets.

We were stopped by the lady at the Immigration desk who wanted evidence of our relationship.

I had not anticpated this, and we had no suitable documentary evidence to hand.

I did have this picture on my Iphone: Us with Jeremy Baer and Margarita Holmes of "Rappler":

IMG_1228_zps83cf7b81.jpg

the lady went off to confer with her boss, and after a few minutes she came back and said that we could travel.

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted

Luckily I don't look my age

No foreigners here 'look their age'.  I have yet to see a filipino say:  Yeah, I figured you were about that old.   Every single one will say to every foreigner:  You look much younger than that.

So anyone who wants to knock a few years off their age should move here  :thumbsup:

My wife and her family said this often but now that we have been married a little while she's more honest and says I look good for my age. OTOH, she always refers to others who are old as "old." We were watching a movie starring Pierce Brosnan recently. She didn't know who he was and kept referring to him as "the old guy." I finally told her that he was exactly my age lol

• Like 2

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted (edited)

With proof of marriage, I can't see any way at all there would be a problem. After this 1st trip and how she sees how smoothly it should go, she won't be on edge next time. Enjoy your getaway!

Edited by Hey Steve
  • Like 1