Talking Together With Your Partner

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:unsure:  There are days that we just do not talk, it can be less Stressful  :rolleyes:

JP  :tiphat:

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted

It's ALLWAYS important to have good communication,

but it's EXTRA important, when being from different cultures...

Wife and I were talking about our niece and nephew, Jen and Jun, and another person called Mirates. Wife said " He borrowed to Mirates 5,000 pesos."

She was trying to say "She (Jen) borrowed from Mirates." The he and she and the from and to often get mixed up but if it is not involving me, I just let it go after trying hundreds of times to correct it. She is telling me a story about someone having an affair and I don't know who is screwing who.

I got it from my previous partner who had a reasonable command of English.

"Can you borrow me" she would say and I did correct her. I used to play it dumb, pretending not to understand what she meant :no:. When she saw I wasn't getting the message she was quick to correct her English, otherwise no loan.

Brings up another interesting situation. Wife is sent to borrow money from the husband by a 3rd party. They figure their chances are better that way. So I made a point to ask the party to see me directly. It didn't help much, you know Filipino pride and all.

You know the old contingency loan, so and so has money coming on Friday so they want a loan today. When Friday comes they conveniently disappear, or quickly pay out other creditors. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
u know the old contingency loan, so and so has money coming on Friday so they want a loan today. When Friday comes they conveniently disappear, or quickly pay out other creditors. 

Then you get those that borrow to repay a loan and end up Deeper in the Doh Doh!

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Wife and I were talking about our niece and nephew, Jen and Jun, and another person called Mirates. Wife said " He borrowed to Mirates 5,000 pesos."

She was trying to say "She (Jen) borrowed from Mirates." The he and she and the from and to often get mixed up but if it is not involving me, I just let it go after trying hundreds of times to correct it. She is telling me a story about someone having an affair and I don't know who is screwing who.

PERHAPS I would bring up the basics ONCE,

but mostly I can guess the corect meaning anyway, and when I don't I ask until I understand.  Her English is MUCH better than my Cebuano anyway  :) 

Better ENCOURAGE Filipinos to speak English. Several try to avoid it, because of "lose face" risk, when they CAN speak rather GOOD too. 

"Can you borrow me" she would say and I did correct her.
Do you correct all AMERICANS too, who do the same error?  :) 

If you have seen e g the American TV serie "Judge Judy" a big part of them in court say wrong...

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

but mostly I can guess the corect meaning anyway, and when I don't I ask until I understand.  Her English is MUCH better than my Cebuano anyway  :)

Better ENCOURAGE Filipinos to speak English. Several try to avoid it, because of "lose face" risk, when they CAN speak rather GOOD too. 

If you have seen e g the American TV serie "Judge Judy" a big part of them in court say wrong...

Thomas my profile says Australian. I am also an American.

I watched Judge Judy for many years.

And yes I correct people who use poor English, even you :lol:  :lol:

• Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
 There are days that we just do not talk, it can be less Stressful 

Tampo?

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

There are days that we just do not talk, it can be less Stressful 

Tampo?

I prefer to get to know, before Tampo.

AFTER I know, I perhaps prefer Tampo   :lol:  

And yes I correct people who use poor English, even you :lol: :lol:
Do you know which group, who write MOST spelling and grammer errors in internal messages in companies?

It's the HIGH bosses (private sector), because we* concentrate at the MEANING of the messages, because that's what's IMPORTANT...  :)

(MIDDLE bosses write least spelling and grammer errors, but that depend of they had got STUCKED at that level, because of not understanding that   :)

* ((I don't have any high boss position now, but I have had both as employed, in own company and in aid and sport organisations. But I DON'T realy want to decide over other people, but I want to decide over myself  - so perhaps I better not marry  :lol:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Thomas my profile says Australian. I am also an American.

So Chris although this is not about the right way to use English but has lent that way can I ask you,

Are you an Ozzie with Duel or an American with Duel?

Just so we can get it right.  :)

JP :tiphat:

Tampo?

Time of the month Mood  :mocking:

JP :tiphat:

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

If the locals speak English and get it wrong it is in my opinion only right to correct them or they will continue with sub-standard English. If we were learning a local language and they did not correct us would you be happy with that?

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted
If the locals speak English and get it wrong it is in my opinion only right to correct them or they will continue with sub-standard English. If we were learning a local language and they did not correct us would you be happy with that?
It depends.

Yes, IF the goal is talking PERFECT English of business reason - BUT in most cases that's NOT important.  (I have done businesses with Englishmen, Irish and Americans with me TERRIBLE pronounsiation  :lol:   but seldom problem with understanding.)

Yes, one/FEW times, IF it's some basic error.

Yes, IF it's IMPORTANT for UNDERSTANDING.

ALL other times - Noooooo. That's only annoying and WASTE of time...  :)

• Like 1