Talking Together With Your Partner

chris49
Posted
Posted

Thomas my profile says Australian. I am also an American.

So Chris although this is not about the right way to use English but has lent that way can I ask you,

Are you an Ozzie with Duel or an American with Duel

Thomas my profile says Australian. I am also an American.

So Chris although this is not about the right way to use English but has lent that way can I ask you,

Are you an Ozzie with Duel.

Tampo?

Time of the month Mood  

I'm pure Aussie mate. But Dad worked in the USA** and moved us all the the US for 4 years.

**The Aussie Navy used to buy Royal Navy surplus or decommisioned vessels and refit and rename and relaunch them. During the 1960's our Navy had a USA project to build 3 frigates, in Bay City Michigan. It's a fascinating story and I could tell you more. I have big time links over there, but over a 10 year period only 2 of us stayed.

So yes, Dual Citizen and 13 A Permanent Resident here.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
how many or you are at least attempting to study Tagalog (or Visayan) to improve communications with your significant other?

Any significant other I know does not encourage their spouse to learn the local language.  It means you will be able to talk to other girls.  :hystery:

• Like 5

BluesDude
Posted
Posted

"... how many or you are at least attempting to study Tagalog (or Visayan) to improve communications with your significant other?"

I was stationed in Subic for 5 years during the 1980's. While there I learned enough to barely get my point across. I used to say I speak Tarzan Tagalog. You know, come we eat, sit drink, where you go? You get the idea. Anyway, recently I've been studying with the Rosetta Stone program and am starting to put a few sentences together. Unfortunately my wife has told me what I'm learning is very proper Tagalog and most folks who speak Tagalog don't speak so formally. We've got a couple of years before we can retire back "home" so I plan to continue the Rosetta Stone program and once we get there hire a tutor to learn more.

Personally, I think life will be enhanced so much by being able to speak and, understand, the language where we live. I'll also have to learn more Ilocano because, even though most of the folks in our area can speak and understand Tagalog, it's actually spoken more than Tagalog in our area.

Although we've visited several times since the 1980's, we're really looking forward to moving back. I envy you guys who have already done so and appreciate those of you who add so much to this excellent forum. Thank you.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

"... how many or you are at least attempting to study Tagalog (or Visayan) to improve communications with your significant other?"

I was stationed in Subic for 5 years during the 1980's. While there I learned enough to barely get my point across. I used to say I speak Tarzan Tagalog. You know, come we eat, sit drink, where you go? You get the idea. Anyway, recently I've been studying with the Rosetta Stone program and am starting to put a few sentences together. Unfortunately my wife has told me what I'm learning is very proper Tagalog and most folks who speak Tagalog don't speak so formally. We've got a couple of years before we can retire back "home" so I plan to continue the Rosetta Stone program and once we get there hire a tutor to learn more.

Personally, I think life will be enhanced so much by being able to speak and, understand, the language where we live. I'll also have to learn more Ilocano because, even though most of the folks in our area can speak and understand Tagalog, it's actually spoken more than Tagalog in our area.

Although we've visited several times since the 1980's, we're really looking forward to moving back. I envy you guys who have already done so and appreciate those of you who add so much to this excellent forum. Thank you.

Where in Ilocos.

To the original question. Texting messages in Tagalog and reading texts can be quite important. I reckon I can do that, like 2nd grade level. Mixed Ilocano, but only a few words. But interpreting an SMS is important. Partner doesn't want to be constantly disturbed to do that.

Speaking Ilocano? Nah, it's hard, but trying to interpret is a good habit. Speaking basic Tagalog is adequate even in other regions.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

The thread seems to have sidetracked from Steve's original topic.  Communication skills, especially listening, are very important no matter where you are!

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Just want to put this out there - how many or you are at least attempting to study Tagalog (or Visayan) to improve communications with your significant other?
The thread seems to have sidetracked from Steve's original topic. Communication skills, especially listening, are very important no matter where you are!
Not to communicate with my wife, my Cebuano will never be as good as her English.

but to be polite and talk a litle with the locals. And to get some better chance to not need to pay "kano prices" by I can haggle in the local language   :)

(=Aiming at learning some polite phrases, "best price" and the numbers to haggle, and important things, which is hard to say with body language as the question words.)

I will speak English to my own kids to give them two languages from start,

but the local language can be good to handle OTHER small kids in "protest age". If asking and suggesting instead of trying to ordering them, it's a big chance they will do as you want WITHOUT any hard protests   :mocking:

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
The thread seems to have sidetracked from Steve's original topic. Communication skills, especially listening, are very important no matter where you are!
  • Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Reply to 28, i like to listen

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

If the locals speak English and get it wrong it is in my opinion only right to correct them or they will continue with sub-standard English. If we were learning a local language and they did not correct us would you be happy with that?
It depends.

Yes, IF the goal is talking PERFECT English of business reason - BUT in most cases that's NOT important.  (I have done businesses with Englishmen, Irish and Americans with me TERRIBLE pronounsiation  :lol:   but seldom problem with understanding.)

Yes, one/FEW times, IF it's some basic error.

Yes, IF it's IMPORTANT for UNDERSTANDING.

ALL other times - Noooooo. That's only annoying and WASTE of time...  :)

Yes it shows

• Like 3