Talking Together With Your Partner

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I wish everybody would learn to speak English properly...!  Crazy Americans don't know what the letter "Zed" is...  Brits can't figure  out that they aren't potato crisps, their potato chips...  I have no idea what language the Aussies are speaking...!  And nobody ends their sentences with the standard "Eh?", now, do they!  So for Filipinos who are speaking fluent Filipino English, what is so wrong with that?  Sure, some aren't fluent in English and might need help on a word now and then but correcting somebody else's language when that is the way it is spoken in that country...  Is that really kosher?

:attention:  :mocking:  :tiphat:

• Like 5

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I was at the BI and one of their forms was written in bad English which caused me and several other people I know confusion. I had to go back to my house to get the information they were asking for and return to do my bi monthly visa and the ARP. This caused me sending my passport for renewal later than I planned and  obviously the new one came back later than I planned.This resulted in me overstaying so it is important that any language you speak or write is correct so as more people can understand it.

• Like 2

Petey
Posted
Posted

I think Brits are a little more understanding when it comes to different types of English spoken. American English is everywhere and all over TV, Australian to some degree is on TV but " I " have no issues in understanding of whats being said.

Crisp is basicly a cut style of potato thin and crisp. Chip/ Crisps is a thicker cut of potato and sometimes cooked with its skin still on..

Fries are still called that in U.K. in places like McDonalds and Burger King etc.

Chips is what is sold in Fish and Chip bars. We know the term "Fries" but they are reserved for places like McDonalds and Burger King etc. This again is due to the style of cut.

The word that really does irritate me is Check - as in the form of payment. So if you have an issue in payments you need to "Check your check because your check didnt clear your checking account" Ohh the pain in reading that >.< haha

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
 Is that really kosher?

Only in England eh

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

We brits understand every language yes it may take a little longer look and even a longer pause but after that, its the thumbs up and yer mate sorted :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I was at the BI and one of their forms was written in bad English which caused me and several other people I know confusion.
/That text was bad for UNDERSTANDING.

/But there are texts, which are PERFECT English, but extremly HARD to understand, e g some political answers, when they don't want to tell anything   :bash:      (I write some such texts in Swedish ON PURPOUSE sometimes, when I write to officials to "reward" them for their hard to understand byrocratical language. It's not easy for them to understand sentenses, which ends after a half page  :mocking:

In English it's even harder, because with CORECT grammer you put some IMPORTANT words LAST instead of inside the text as we do in Swedish. That's why I'm ON PURPOUSE put such important words early in a long sentence, although I KNOW it's wrong order, to make it EASIER for readers to understand   :)     

• Like 1

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

What's really crazy, confusing about this conversation, is that most of you are retired or want to retire in the Philippines because they nearly all speak english, now that your there, it's not english enough, Go figure. I have lived places where communicating was nearly impossible, it's a horrible way to live! Filipinos make an educated effort to learn our language, just look at the schools. Here in America, we sometimes demand people learn and talk english, judge them if they don't. So I'll take a beautiful smiling Filipino who is making an effort to talk english and wait on me, or trying to comfort me, or just trying to be friends any day of the week!  I know how lucky I am, even if my wife does turn a few words around, what she gets right , is she loves me unconditionally!  Put that in your pipe boys!  

• Like 5

Thomas
Posted
Posted

What's really crazy, confusing about this conversation, is that most of you are retired or want to retire in the Philippines because they nearly all speak english, now that your there, it's not english enough, Go figure. I have lived places where communicating was nearly impossible, it's a horrible way to live! Filipinos make an educated effort to learn our language, just look at the schools. Here in America, we sometimes demand people learn and talk english, judge them if they don't. So I'll take a beautiful smiling Filipino who is making an effort to talk english and wait on me, or trying to comfort me, or just trying to be friends any day of the week!  I know how lucky I am, even if my wife does turn a few words around, what she gets right , is she loves me unconditionally!  Put that in your pipe boys!  

Exactly!  

English ISN'T even the bigest first language in the world, but several with English as first language expect everyone to speak English, and for some it isn't enough if the English isn't perfect !!!  And some with such demands don't even try to learn some of the language the locals speak in the land they have EMMIGRATED TO themselves!   I wonder what SAME persons think of their home country immigrants, if THEY don't try to learn the language there   :mocking:

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

My Ems talks better English then me, and its sounds wonderful too , hearing the words spoken properly ok with a slight twang sounds better then me, ya no wat i mean

• Like 3

HikiSpray
Posted
Posted

Just want to put this out there - how many or you are at least attempting to study Tagalog (or Visayan) to improve communications with your significant other? To me, it goes both ways... and most of you are retired, so the lack of time is not the issue.

I always wonder about immigrants that move into the US, for years, and don't speak an ounce of English. In a sense, these immigrants are greatly handicapped and have to constantly rely on loved ones for interpretation. I don't want to be that guy when I eventually retire to the Philippines.

Personally, I am looking forward to the learning. It is all about the discipline, an hour a day will do wonders in a year.

Hehe, I learned to not get the words "baboy" and "babae" mixed up, could have made my visit in Ph much more interesting, :) . Now it's easy to remember, lucky me my wife stopped me before I insulted anyone. Another good words to know as the bare minimum (IMO) are salamat, utang, hindi and the always important "po" as in "opo" or "hindi salamat po". There are alot of word that I can remember now but I can't still get the context of the conversation, oh well, I guess it's going to take time.

• Like 3