Talking Together With Your Partner

HikiSpray
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was at the BI and one of their forms was written in bad English which caused me and several other people I know confusion.

/That text was bad for UNDERSTANDING.

/But there are texts, which are PERFECT English, but extremly HARD to understand, e g some political answers, when they don't want to tell anything :bash: (I write some such texts in Swedish ON PURPOUSE sometimes, when I write to officials to "reward" them for their hard to understand byrocratical language. It's not easy for them to understand sentenses, which ends after a half page :mocking:

In English it's even harder, because with CORECT grammer you put some IMPORTANT words LAST instead of inside the text as we do in Swedish. That's why I'm ON PURPOUSE put such important words early in a long sentence, although I KNOW it's wrong order, to make it EASIER for readers to understand :)

"I was at the BI and one of their forms was written in bad English which caused me and several other people I know confusion."

I translated that to swedish and I don't know why it would be bad for understanding. Or did I misunderstand you, Thomas? Was it something else you meant?

"Jag var på BI och ett av deras formulär var skrivet på dålig engelska vilket resulterade i att jag och folk jag känner blev förvirrade."

Now using Google translate on this line from Swedish to English I get:

"I was on BI and one of their forms were written in poor English, which resulted in me and people I know got confused."

Now, it's not perfect, but in both langauges I can understand this.

Edited by HikiSpray
  • Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
"opo" or "hindi salamat po".

The "po" , a term of deference that is very widely used, along with the "mano po" (touching of the elder's hand to the forehead), cause my wife a lot of discomfort.  On both her paternal and maternal sides, neither custom is used.

Both families are Hispanic, so they are accustomed to building in respect via grammar and conjugation.  The "po" is therefore superfluous. 

And, kissing on the cheek is much preferred over "mano".

• Like 2

HikiSpray
Posted
Posted (edited)

"opo" or "hindi salamat po".

The "po" , a term of deference that is very widely used, along with the "mano po" (touching of the elder's hand to the forehead), cause my wife a lot of discomfort.  On both her paternal and maternal sides, neither custom is used.

Both families are Hispanic, so they are accustomed to building in respect via grammar and conjugation.  The "po" is therefore superfluous. 

And, kissing on the cheek is much preferred over "mano".

Yes, I'm not a huge fan of the forehead touching, I just meant in general when dealing with people thats not "family" about using "po".

I'm not comfortable with being called "Sir" either, but that's cultural differences between Finland and Philippines. And I just have to "go with the flow". Some people seem to forget that when they are visiting another country, they are the odd ones. :)

Edited by HikiSpray
  • Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I was at the BI and one of their forms was written in bad English which caused me and several other people I know confusion.

/But there are texts, which are PERFECT English, but extremly HARD to understand, e g some political answers, when they don't want to tell anything   :bash:      (I write some such texts in Swedish ON PURPOUSE sometimes, when I write to officials to "reward" them for their hard to understand byrocratical language. It's not easy for them to understand sentenses, which ends after a half page  :mocking:

In English it's even harder, because with CORECT grammer you put some IMPORTANT words LAST instead of inside the text as we do in Swedish. That's why I'm ON PURPOUSE put such important words early in a long sentence, although I KNOW it's wrong order, to make it EASIER for readers to understand   :)     

"I was at the BI and one of their forms was written in bad English which caused me and several other people I know confusion."

I translated that to swedish and I don't know why it would be bad for understanding. Or did I misunderstand you, Thomas? Was it something else you meant?

"Jag var på BI och ett av deras formulär var skrivet på dålig engelska vilket resulterade i att jag och folk jag känner blev förvirrade."

Now using Google translate on this line from english to swedish I get:

"I was on BI and one of their forms were written in poor English, which resulted in me and people I know got confused."

Now, it's not perfect, but in both langauges I can understand this.

That`s about right Hiki

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

/But there are texts, which are PERFECT English, but extremly HARD to understand, e g some political answers, when they don't want to tell anything :bash: (I write some such texts in Swedish ON PURPOUSE sometimes, when I write to officials to "reward" them for their hard to understand byrocratical language. It's not easy for them to understand sentenses, which ends after a half page :mocking:

In English it's even harder, because with CORECT grammer you put some IMPORTANT words LAST instead of inside the text as we do in Swedish. That's why I'm ON PURPOUSE put such important words early in a long sentence, although I KNOW it's wrong order, to make it EASIER for readers to understand :)

"That" refered to the text SONJACK had problem understanding at BI.

(In EARLIER discussions in this topic I had AGREED to it's important the writing is good enough for UNDERSTANDING, 

but DISAGREED with them who claim the language has to be PERFECT.    (With some exception situations.)

I claim SAME concerning Swedish too  :)

• Like 1