Strange But True...

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Here's a thought that seems to fly in the face of conventional 'wisdom'.  According to a National Geographic article I stumbled upon:

Influenza germs last longer and pass from person to person more effectively in lower absolute humidity—i.e., when it's cold outside and the air is dryer.

This explains to me why colds and flu spread in January in Philippines and it confirms what a Philippine doctor told me.  So being out in the rain on an otherwise hot day seems less likely to get you sick.

Source: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/02/090209-flu-humidity.html

• Like 2

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

I tried for ever to disprove my wife's superstitions and medicine woman antics to no avail. It's even worse for my son, he gets all kinds of restrictions during play because she believes this or that. I finally put my foot down, so in our house her superstitions only apply to her and her family. I rationalized this by saying only a culture's beliefs apply to that culture. I told her she can knock on wood all day and mumble words in her native tong, I don't care. But me and my son fall under my Irish superstitions, none of which keep a person from living a normal life.  My dear old Mom even tried to reason with her a couple of times, but she gave up years ago. I did manage to convince my wife, the only time you can hunt worms, (Night Crawlers) is in the rain and dark. She got five dozen last night for my Dad, so he and Mom and my wife are going fishing. My dad takes her along because, one, she can really fish, two she can really clean fish and three, she can really cook fish. My Dad claims I have the perfect wife, I think she as close to perfect as I can get! But won't say it out loud because that would be bad luck!

• Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted
The Filipina, my wife, will grab every item, even if it's only worn for a few minutes and put it for washing...wtf? Some these fabrics don't stand repeated washings.

Mine does this also.  I think its because they always want us fresh and presentable to be able show us off just in case one of their friends or family come around. 

• Like 3

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
But won't say it out loud because that would be bad luck!

Like it ,

As you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters never be pointing in the wrong direction......( An Irish blessing )

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

The Filipina, my wife, will grab every item, even if it's only worn for a few minutes and put it for washing...wtf? Some these fabrics don't stand repeated washings.

Mine does this also.  I think its because they always want us fresh and presentable to be able show us off just in case one of their friends or family come around. 

Asians have been more clean than westerners in average historical too.  I suppouse several of you have girlfriend/wife, who are very interested in how different soaps smell   :)

Back when the railroad was built connecting American west and east coast,

the chinese railroad builders changed clothes once per DAY,

common white changed once per WEEK,

and some white changed once per MONTH -  or to Christmas   :mocking:

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

Come hail or shine once a year I have that bath!

( the rest of the year I shower once or twice a day depending what I have been up to.)
especially when in Philippines, if only to cool down.

When I first met my wife to be, she would often smell me after I was dressed, to see if I smelt good! :89:

That's when I realised that filipina's like their men to smell clean.

I can vouch for the daily washing thing, often some clothes go in the wash even if they were just tried on!

( My ususal mispell correction)

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

Even in Toronto, where one would be hard pressed to break into a sweat, the Filipinos I know will throw their garments straight into the hamper as soon as each garment is taken off.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

We can tell when my 15 year old daughter is at home for any length of time, the water usage is well up. her Lola will tell us OH! the water Bill here is down this Month.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Come hail or shine once a year I have that bath!

( the rest of the year I shower once or twice a day depending what I have been up to.)

especially when in Philippines, if only to cool down.

When I first met my wife to be, she would often smell me after I was dressed, to see if I smelt good! :89:

That's when I realised that filipina's like their men to smell clean.

I can vouch for the daily washing thing, often some clothes go in the wash even if they were just tried on!

( My ususal mispell correction)

Mate, I separate mine and protect the item from getting the the laundry basket. You know if it's nicely folded and you were thinking of wearing it the next day, so you get it out, it can actually be put in the wash.

My cycling clothes. She says they are dirty, but no visible dirt, and sports clothes do get a bit dirty. One of the reasons I wear them more than once, is that she can bring it back to me saying "all your sports clothes are in the wash",you can't go out.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

The topic is "Strange But True"

Another one I find it really hard to get my head around is..."you cannot go swimming, it's to hot"...defies imagination. Why do you think I'm going honey?

• Like 2