Can You Live Like A Filipino?

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Can you live like a Filipino?

Assumption: You are talking of the quality of life for the middle and lower socio-economic classes.

Short answer...... NO.

Long answer..... Yes... it would be possible.... but who would truly want to? If you are a modern day Siddhartha (the buddha), willing to renounce the creature comforts for the sake of your spiritual quest..... Sure. For Westerns from advanced economic countries..... unless you are of a 'Peace Corp.' mind-set or a student of cultural anthropology/X-cultural sociology.... don't even try it unless you are 1 in a thousand. 

Ten or twelve years ago I met a German who was trying it. A basket case in the making. More recently a Canuck friend who's awaiting his pension..... self-confessed 'miserable'.

Better have some decent pesos or don't bother living here.... IMHO

• Like 3

canadamale
Posted
Posted

Air con is nice, hot and cold running water is nice, ref, microwave, dishwasher, all are nice, for me not a nessessity, i can live quite happily as a filippino. As for Guam not being expensive, it is all in perspective, I work with a fellow who is just now building a house there because it is so reasonable. In the closest  northern canadian city  near where we both work (Whitehorse, Yukon) the average price for a three bedroom bungalow is $420,000.00 canadian dollars, in the capitol city of the canadian  province (Edmonton, Alberta) i lived before montalban, rizal. the average price of a three bedroon bungalow is $360,000.00 canadian dollars. My gf father paid $15000.00 canadian dollars for his house, to answer the question yes I can live like a philippino,  now the Philippine house is not 1300 sq ft as the canadian house, it is closer to 800 sq ft, the weather here in the philippines makes it so easy to live here. ! No -40 degrees, no shoveling snow to get to your car which you need to let idle for 15 min just so it is warm enough to drive away. Here everyday sunshine, maybe some rain which when it stops the street is dry in a hour, The food is very different in the philippines, for me this is the most difficult difference, i grew up on patatoes and beef, I miss my canadian chedder cheese and mostly my canadian whiskey. here i eat lots of chicken, some pork, rice and rice and rice hahaha and lots of vegatables 

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

It's tough. You walk around with a big dollar sign on your back and the locals don't really believe that you live pretty much the way they do. There is also the foreigner reverse discount. I live outside of town and frankly, trikes (foreigner discount again) multicab/jeepney actually cost me more than operating a basic motor vehicle. The convenience factor is also huge. It is nice to know that the public transport is there if you ever need it though and at a cost that might annoy will not make you blanch.

Eating at home is the bomb as far as bang for the buck goes although I have found a few local restaurants that come close.

There is some question whether Filipinos can live as the Filipinos do. Many are thrilled to meet anyone they have not borrowed money from yet. They don't all do it on their own money, even as poor as some of them live. I have a friend whose live out maid rents a shack for 300 piso a month. I could live in it but I'm glad I don't have to.

• Like 3

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
I'm surprised that more people don't like filipino food! Lat night i had some Lumpia that was out of this world good! Not sure what Lumpia is? Tastes just like a bid Spring Roll! After we got back to our barangay, we went and had what had to be the national food of the Philippines... Hamburgers! Yup! I finally tried something non-filipino on my new fave place... Excellent hand firmed burgers! Scored 9 out of 10 on the BOB scale... Yet many of the filipino foods on their menu scored even higher!

I am surprised as well.  It did not take me long at all to like it.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

It's tough. You walk around with a big dollar sign on your back and the locals don't really believe that you live pretty much the way they do. There is also the foreigner reverse discount. I live outside of town and frankly, trikes (foreigner discount again) multicab/jeepney actually cost me more than operating a basic motor vehicle. The convenience factor is also huge. It is nice to know that the public transport is there if you ever need it though and at a cost that might annoy will not make you blanch.

Eating at home is the bomb as far as bang for the buck goes although I have found a few local restaurants that come close.

There is some question whether Filipinos can live as the Filipinos do. Many are thrilled to meet anyone they have not borrowed money from yet. They don't all do it on their own money, even as poor as some of them live. I have a friend whose live out maid rents a shack for 300 piso a month. I could live in it but I'm glad I don't have to.

2 things... The trikes? Give them the correct fare when you get off... Or record the serial number of the bill you gave him. Hard to cause legal problems problems when you can prove what you paid. 2nd - there is a difference between living like a Filipino and living like a squatter... This month again I'm living on under P20k and that includes eating out a fair bit... Just not places like Jack's Ridge!

:D. Sorry if I sound a bit rough.. Just woke up... Hehe!

Edited by i am bob
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Hard to cause legal problems

Legal problems?  You think a trike driver is going to resort to some legal means to collect what he says you owe him?    :hystery:

Just woke up... Hehe!

Ahh.  Yes well let me give a first hand account on what happens when he does not like what you give him.  (Not all will do this but the ones who are belligerent enough to demand a higher than legal fee often are).

First there is the ugly face he makes to indicate you did not pay him enough.  If that does not work there is a high voice with some harsh words that you probably will not understand..  If you still don't give then he takes the money you gave him and throws it on the ground and shoves his open palm into your ribs.  If that does not works he gets off his trike and starts gesticulating with his hands.  At that point I ducked behind a high wall and told him to have a great day.  I suppose I should have called my lawyer.  :hystery:

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Legal problems?  You think a trike driver is going to resort to some legal means to collect what he says you owe him?    :hystery:

Just woke up... Hehe!

Ahh.  Yes well let me give a first hand account on what happens when he does not like what you give him.  (Not all will do this but the ones who are belligerent enough to demand a higher than legal fee often are).

First there is the ugly face he makes to indicate you did not pay him enough.  If that does not work there is a high voice with some harsh words that you probably will not understand..  If you still don't give then he takes the money you gave him and throws it on the ground and shoves his open palm into your ribs.  If that does not works he gets off his trike and starts gesticulating with his hands.  At that point I ducked behind a high wall and told him to have a great day.  I suppose I should have called my lawyer.  :hystery:

Best bet is to agree the price before you start the journey

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Just woke up... Hehe!

I saw this happen twice while traveling around where a trike dropped a fare and, when he didn't get the Kano price, called over a policeman or other official (barangay) saying the fare wasn't paid at all. While taking with other expats here in Davao, a couple have said that they have seen this happen also...

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I saw this happen twice while traveling around

I would not have thought it happened that often, once in a while for sure but for you to witness it twice in such a short time being here I admit to being surprised.

• Like 2

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Must be different here on Mactan, I always just give the correct amount, never had a problem, if my girl was with me sometimes gave them 20 pesos for 2 x 8 peso ride and told them to keep the change, my girl even told me as I am a senior I can get the senior fare which works out a whole peso discount. With what I have seen here with many expats ( think they are somehow entitled), they are their own worst enemies when dealing with the locals.

• Like 1