Can You Live Like A Filipino?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I saw this happen twice while traveling around

I would not have thought it happened that often, once in a while for sure but for you to witness it twice in such a short time being here I admit to being surprised.

To be honest, Dave, it may have been the same guy I saw both times but I'm not sure... Both were dropped at the same location...

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

It's tough. You walk around with a big dollar sign on your back and the locals don't really believe that you live pretty much the way they do. There is also the foreigner reverse discount. I live outside of town and frankly, trikes (foreigner discount again) multicab/jeepney actually cost me more than operating a basic motor vehicle. The convenience factor is also huge. It is nice to know that the public transport is there if you ever need it though and at a cost that might annoy will not make you blanch.

Eating at home is the bomb as far as bang for the buck goes although I have found a few local restaurants that come close.

There is some question whether Filipinos can live as the Filipinos do. Many are thrilled to meet anyone they have not borrowed money from yet. They don't all do it on their own money, even as poor as some of them live. I have a friend whose live out maid rents a shack for 300 piso a month. I could live in it but I'm glad I don't have to.

2 things... The trikes? Give them the correct fare when you get off... Or record the serial number of the bill you gave him. Hard to cause legal problems problems when you can prove what you paid. 2nd - there is a difference between living like a Filipino and living like a squatter... This month again I'm living on under P20k and that includes eating out a fair bit... Just not places like Jack's Ridge!

:D. Sorry if I sound a bit rough.. Just woke up... Hehe!

Bob, I just walk away. It isn't worth the hassle. And I have my own wheels.

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
Since we own no vehicle (I refuse to drive here for a host of reasons, although most of my expat friends do) we use 2 or 3 dependable drivers on call via our cell phones who pick us up at designated times. Our 'service trike' deal solves our transportation needs 95% of the time. These are long term relationships. No SSS or Philhealth (says the wife), but usually other small benes. Often a merienda meal with us or at one of the markets since the Mrs. has them running her all around town to 3-5 markets/malls/stores/bill paying offices etc. after dropping me off first where us expats drink coffee together. Whats it cost? We pay P150 for 2-3 hours of service time, but no risk of accident accountability problems, vehicle maintanance rip-offs, gas costs, etc. Expensive ? Maybe. But not from my perspective considering the alternatives. Our reg. drivers spend a lot of loitering time while we take care of our business, but they never complain. Its a good deal for everyone. Life and getting around here is always a balancing act.

We haven't moved to Marinduque yet, but when we are there on vacay, that is just what we do.  We have a couple of go-to guys that we can ring up, and it works well.  We have a choice of a trike to take us to the market, or a van if we want to go anywhere else.

Until such time as we move, the arrangement works for us. 

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I usually know the route to take to where I am going. I tell the taxi driver which way I want to go. Once in a while one wants to take me by way of side streets because of the traffic. I tell them "NO"  and to stick to the main roads. If they insist, I just say "PARA"  which means to stop. I will get off or he will stick to the main road. 

Always have plenty of coins in loose change. They love to say they cannot give you change. Once in a while for good service, I will give a tip.

Believe it or not, I have an Iranian taxi driver here that looks for me when I get to the main road. He's been in the Philippines 14 years and speaks excellent Visayan. We get along quite well. I've run into him at the mall before and he buys me a beer. I do not drink beer but I do not trun him down. The guy looks like a white caucasian but  has heavy stubble and unruly hair. He looks mean but is unusually nice.

• Like 2

Chopper1050
Posted
Posted

Hello to one and all curious foreigners about living in the Philippines.

Yes, you can live on a small income. Meaning you can exist if you can adjust to the Philippines. You have to be able to live like a Filipino.

First, if you are not used to heat and humidity you're in for an awakening. Hot and humid night and day. Filipinos are used to it. I sleep with a/c on and a ceiling fan overhead. Wife sleeps all bundled up and still complains it is too cold.

You will need a clothes washer and dryer or wash by hand or send clothes out to be laundered. It rains a lot in the Philippines.

Get used to cold showers. I have. I don't mind at all. 

There are all kinds of insects from small to large ones. I let small lizards in to eat them. I spray and try to keep mosquitos at a minimum. Dengue fever is very common here. If you don't know about it , then read about it. It's a killer.

There are rats too. I've seen them in fine restaurants and hotels. The cats keep them at a minimum but still they're around. People get bit by them quite often.

Then, there's the food. I hate Filipino food. I won't eat it. I buy my food and cook my own.  Filipino food smells bad but Filipinos love smelly food. Try smelling dried fish fried. Then, there is squid, it smells bad too. They love cooking with fish sauce. Now, there is no reason why chicken or beef should smell like fish.

There are "brown outs" at any time of day or night that last from a few minutes to  long hours. You might need a generator to keep food from spoiling.

There is a lot more but this should hold you for a while and get you thinking. 

I've adjusted but only because I can afford to buy my conveniences. I'm not planning to live here forever. Just til my wifes parents pass away. Then, we will move to my home in California.

MABUHAY

I can live like a filipino. I can go camping and sleep on the ground. I can sleep on the beach and be eaten alive by moskitos . I can live without hot showers. I can eat what is available instead of what I want. .i have lived a mile away from the electric line. All solar and wind powered. I had to haul in water 15 miles to a cistern on my hill, but I still had a heated waterbed and hot showers and a hot tub!! Will I do it again ? Not unless I have to . For now , I don't have to.

I used to live in a growing city in mexico and many of the long time ex-pats expressed a desire to return to a town of 20 years ago. I told them they are crazy , I enjoy a big grocery store , dependable electric ,even when it rains, Internet , a/c, cold cold beer, and garbage pickup.

Only a few years ago , I realized , I can not eat a meal or part of a meal if I am not enjoying it. Before I never had the luxury of time to not eat what was I front of me. There was work waiting.

• Like 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Yes, you can live on a small income. Meaning you can exist if you can adjust to the Philippines. You have to be able to live like a Filipino.

I have sympathy for your plight. The frustration in your post comes through clearly but the mistake is not committing to the long term.  I see you want to go back to California so you seem unwilling to fix your place up to the point you will have all the creature comforts of western living while paying Philippine prices.

First you need a place you can commit too.  Long term lease or get your wife to buy it and you can start to fix it up.  Get a small place so you can air condition one room cheaply.  Get a solar power setup if you can afford the initial outlay.  Not a huge system but enough to add 1kW to your system when the sun is hot and the aircon is being used.

Washer spin dryers and single outlet hot water heaters are cheap enough that most budgets can afford them.  When the clothes are spun out early in the day the 4 hours in the hot sun will dry most items.

Insects and rats?  Deal with them.  Seal holes, set traps, use poison, whatever you have to do but do it.  Or live with them as many Aussies do.

Filipino food?  Thats where it pays to have a wife who can cook.  Don't buy the local street food if you hate it. Have your wie try some dishes and cook with fresh, clean ingredients and spice it to your taste.  Then its like any other food, you eat what you like and don't buy what you don't like.  (Learn to cook yourself if your wife does not cook the way you like and you don't want to replace her :-) )

Brown outs are overemphasized.  They are inconenient and uncomfortable but your food does not usually spoil.

Adapt and overcome!

I again am one of the lucky ones ! Filipino Food ? Lugaw is good, I can get Chicken Cordon Bleu in our local Robinsons eatary.

And there is a very cheap local restaurant that when you walk into it you would think you are at a wedding reception !!

And their shakes are to die for! food is trial and error, we are near 3 Jollibees, 2 Chowkings,pizza hut and Mcds, my wife wont let me eat street food ! and she is a good cook, and yes I live with the smell of dried fish! brownouts are a pain but dont happen often but its best to be prepared ! overall I came to the Philippines to live as my wife is a Filipino and I love her !!

• Like 3

canadamale
Posted
Posted

I do not have the time spent here in country like some others, 3 weeks here out of every nine due to my working in canada. My gf like to stay in the condo in makati ( i rent it fir the 3 weeks at a time when I am in country very expensive but it will do until I decide where to rent a more permanent place) because of the malls and the aircon. I prefer when we stay in the barangay in Montalban. No aircon but i can sit on the veranda on the second floor and see the mountains and the feel the breeze ( her fathers house). I have been very very seldom approched by anyone asking for anything, I am mostly stared at and left alone unless I initiate the contact. I seldom take the jeepney by myself or the tricycle. I an usually traveling with a brother or my gf. I serous believe i will be quite happy to live here as i have seen the philippine people i have been in contact with. In Makati I have been approached by strangers asking my question where I am from and one man evan invited to take me home to meet his daughters needless to say i said no and quickly left his company. I walk all around makati evan as far as sm megal mall in mangdalong, never had had any problems ever. Have evan had a young girl offer to share her umbrella once in the rain. I like the philippines, the philippine people.

• Like 2

canadamale
Posted
Posted

I take taxis by myself alot and have a had a few problems, eg not turning on the meter until i asked, taking a round about route making a 80 to 120 peso ride turn into a 160 to 220 peso ride,  the few time this has happen i usaually tell the driver this trip should   cost only 80 peso and i give no tip. Taxi cab drivers have to make a living too and most drive 24 hour shifts in traffic that to me us very crazy so i try not to be too hard on them

chris49
Posted
Posted

I do not have the time spent here in country like some others, 3 weeks here out of every nine due to my working in canada. My gf like to stay in the condo in makati ( i rent it fir the 3 weeks at a time when I am in country very expensive but it will do until I decide where to rent a more permanent place) because of the malls and the aircon. I prefer when we stay in the barangay in Montalban. No aircon but i can sit on the veranda on the second floor and see the mountains and the feel the breeze ( her fathers house). I have been very very seldom approched by anyone asking for anything, I am mostly stared at and left alone unless I initiate the contact. I seldom take the jeepney by myself or the tricycle. I an usually traveling with a brother or my gf. I serous believe i will be quite happy to live here as i have seen the philippine people i have been in contact with. In Makati I have been approached by strangers asking my question where I am from and one man evan invited to take me home to meet his daughters needless to say i said no and quickly left his company. I walk all around makati evan as far as sm megal mall in mangdalong, never had had any problems ever. Have evan had a young girl offer to share her umbrella once in the rain. I like the philippines, the philippine people.

Montalban, Rizal, very cheap area and it happened to be on one of our bike routes. I don't mind to live out there, lights out by about 9, because no entertainment. But I like the place. And no major traffic hassles getting out there via Litex.