Property Condo ? Wait For Annulment. Any Tips ?

Shol
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi there.

I was married in 2010 and split in 2012 when I found out that my soon to be ex was really in it for just the lifestyle / money.

(I am a foreigner)

She immediately left on her own willingly while I was giving her money over a few months and went to live with her new boyfriend who got her pregnant and it was posted all over the net and youtube as well through our mutual friends.

She stopped contacting me but I was able to see what was going on and well I filed for annulment after discussing with the lawyer and a few in my home country.   I realize this might have been a mistake as although my lawyer painted a bright picture it became apparent that even though she wasnt showing up there are other factors that will impact the potential decision such as Judges that don't grant annulments, the prosecutor trying his best disqualify the incapacity burden of proof.

I guess my lawyer did ok and now its 3 years later and I am just waiting for a decision although I am told this judge has not given an annulment in about 1.5 years.  I believe based on the cases that I saw I have a strong case as we included a ton of information about her and the baby, etc pictures with the boyfriend.  I had 3 witnesses including myself and some mutual friends to be impartial.

We have no children or property and I don't think we will ever talk again as she upgraded to a richer sugardaddy and I realized my own stupidity etc.

My questions are as follows

1. Suggestions for the judge, etc my lawyer.  I mean its plainly obvious if this drags on it wil benefit the lawyer and well it's kind of unfair if the judge will be the sole decision maker because they "just dont give annulments" had I known this before I would have gotten a divorce instead.    How long to wait ? What to do ?

2.  My lawyer advises me not to buy property even now as it will be considered conjugal property even though we have not seen each other in 3 years.   Any way around this with the naming conventions on  property, presales.   Any other options on this.  I am not able to obtain loans here as they would require a signature from her obviously but I dont want to put myself into a position where she could claim anything I bought as half hers etc.   Just some thoughts on this one.   I don't believe there is anyone I would trust enough to put it into their name, etc and plus there are costs associated with switching afterwards.  Can I still get presales ? do they look at the time when i bought it even after the annulment even if she was going to make a claim ? just wondering on some of the options

3.  Others have said that I could file an adultery case but this would just prelong the freedom that I am seeking.  I am not an american so I would need to reside in my home country for 1 year before I could get a divorce and I am currently working here in the Philippines so I would have to abandon my career and life for that.  Also would fear for my own safety.

Thanks just trying to find a strategy and a plan as I would like to buy something soon...

Oh well thanks for listening

Edited by Shol

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Travel to Canada and start the divorce proceeding against her. I doubt you would have to stay in Canada contact an attorney there first. 

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

Hi there.

I was married in 2010 and split in 2012 when I found out that my soon to be ex was really in it for just the lifestyle / money.

(I am a foreigner)

She immediately left on her own willingly while I was giving her money over a few months and went to live with her new boyfriend who got her pregnant and it was posted all over the net and youtube as well through our mutual friends.

She stopped contacting me but I was able to see what was going on and well I filed for annulment after discussing with the lawyer and a few in my home country.   I realize this might have been a mistake as although my lawyer painted a bright picture it became apparent that even though she wasnt showing up there are other factors that will impact the potential decision such as Judges that don't grant annulments, the prosecutor trying his best disqualify the incapacity burden of proof.

I guess my lawyer did ok and now its 3 years later and I am just waiting for a decision although I am told this judge has not given an annulment in about 1.5 years.  I believe based on the cases that I saw I have a strong case as we included a ton of information about her and the baby, etc pictures with the boyfriend.  I had 3 witnesses including myself and some mutual friends to be impartial.

We have no children or property and I don't think we will ever talk again as she upgraded to a richer sugardaddy and I realized my own stupidity etc.

1. Suggestions for the judge, etc my lawyer.  I mean its plainly obvious if this drags on it wil benefit the lawyer and well it's kind of unfair if the judge will be the sole decision maker because they "just dont give annulments" had I known this before I would have gotten a divorce instead.    How long to wait ? What to do ?

2.  My lawyer advises me not to buy property even now as it will be considered conjugal property even though we have not seen each other in 3 years.   Any way around this with the naming conventions on  property, presales.   Any other options on this.  I am not able to obtain loans here as they would require a signature from her obviously but I dont want to put myself into a position where she could claim anything I bought as half hers etc.   Just some thoughts on this one.   I don't believe there is anyone I would trust enough to put it into their name, etc and plus there are costs associated with switching afterwards.  Can I still get presales ? do they look at the time when i bought it even after the annulment even if she was going to make a claim ? just wondering on some of the options

3.  Others have said that I could file an adultery case but this would just prelong the freedom that I am seeking.  I am not an american so I would need to reside in my home country for 1 year before I could get a divorce and I am currently working here in the Philippines so I would have to abandon my career and life for that.  Also would fear for my own safety.

Thanks just trying to find a strategy and a plan as I would like to buy something soon...

From my experience. Not willing to discuss how and why and whether it pertained to me directly.

1. The judge who issues the judgement in your favor does not release it. You must go to his office...eg Quezon City Hall, Dept of Justice. You see the secretary who will inform you the judgement is there if favorable. So you request it. She refuses. She says the judge must sign it and release it to you personally. You ask to see the judge. The judge is busy. They ask you to come back on a certain date for an appointment. When you go there the judge is not available. The secretary says the judgement can be released for 50k...maybe more. If you don't pay you don't get it. If ever this is confronted to the judge, she denies all knowledge of the transaction.

2. You lawyer advises you not to buy property now. Isn't that good enough? In fact it could be done but I also advise you no.

3. Adultery would require witnesses and a prosecutor willing to file such a case. You ain't got a snowballs chance...

Mate plenty of us got burned earlier. Step back and breath easy for a while. Why the annulment is so urgent? Are you planning to remarry...come on, once bitten twice shy. Let the annulment thing sit with the judge while you also cool off.

• Like 3

Shol
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the responses :)

To the above poster - Canada requires a a year residency requirement and I tried before and was shut down even by the shady quick fix divorce type places as well as established lawyers.   Some didn't want to touch it or wanted even more than the annulment quote.

On the adultery thing, the prosecutor who is trying against me for my annulment is the actual person who "recommended" I file a case but I didn't choose to do it because I want this to be over with instead of complicated.   Oh and also my lawyer would have wanted to charge me 80k for that just to get it going.   Next up is I asked what's the real purpose for that and there was no answer.   My "vengeance" or whatever is no longer there it's more like "self pity and anger" at mysef for being so gulliible.

And as for the property well there are many places out there and I currently hate renting that's about the main reason i want to be done with this as quickly as possible to have something on my own instead of spending on rent

Thanks Chris - what would be your suggestion if as I suspect the judgment comes back as a negative.    is that the end of the road ? I don't necessarily trust the words of my lawyer who got me to do this based on a mirage of false promises and "ease" so it would be better to hear it here from strangers. (as sad as that may sound)

Thanks again :)

Hi there.

(I am a foreigner)

From my experience. Not willing to discuss how and why and whether it pertained to me directly.

1. The judge who issues the judgement in your favor does not release it. You must go to his office...eg Quezon City Hall, Dept of Justice. You see the secretary who will inform you the judgement is there if favorable. So you request it. She refuses. She says the judge must sign it and release it to you personally. You ask to see the judge. The judge is busy. They ask you to come back on a certain date for an appointment. When you go there the judge is not available. The secretary says the judgement can be released for 50k...maybe more. If you don't pay you don't get it. If ever this is confronted to the judge, she denies all knowledge of the transaction.

2. You lawyer advises you not to buy property now. Isn't that good enough? In fact it could be done but I also advise you no.

3. Adultery would require witnesses and a prosecutor willing to file such a case. You ain't got a snowballs chance...

Mate plenty of us got burned earlier. Step back and breath easy for a while. Why the annulment is so urgent? Are you planning to remarry...come on, once bitten twice shy. Let the annulment thing sit with the judge while you also cool off.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
We have no children or property
LOOK UP !  A child born during marriage is hard to avoid being counted as YOURS, so better let a lawyer look at that too.
  • Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Why do you think that you can buy property in the Philippines? Do you hold Filipino citizenship? If you do not, you cannot legally own property in the Philippines.

Check to see if you can file for a divorce in Hong Kong.

• Like 2

Shol
Posted
Posted

We have no children or property
LOOK UP !  A child born during marriage is hard to avoid being counted as YOURS, so better let a lawyer look at that too.

This was already considered and according to the NSO nothing was included with my name or hers.

Shol
Posted
Posted

Hey there.   You can indeed own a property not just "land" and so the condominiums are not an issue except that there are laws here that seem to indicate that they wouldn't be yours "forever" per se. 

I can check in Hong Kong first time I heard that suggestion however I must be clear that I am on the final stages of the annulment so wouldn't it be better to just deal with that crap ?  If I was to attempt to file a divorice at thsi stage would then require some potential contact with my ex also.

Why do you think that you can buy property in the Philippines? Do you hold Filipino citizenship? If you do not, you cannot legally own property in the Philippines.

Check to see if you can file for a divorce in Hong Kong.

Wrye83
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hey there.   You can indeed own a property not just "land" and so the condominiums are not an issue except that there are laws here that seem to indicate that they wouldn't be yours "forever" per se. 

I can check in Hong Kong first time I heard that suggestion however I must be clear that I am on the final stages of the annulment so wouldn't it be better to just deal with that crap ?  If I was to attempt to file a divorice at thsi stage would then require some potential contact with my ex also.

Hear the judge out and see what he/she has ruled. You've already wasted the money so you might as well see the results and learn from it. If it doesn't go your way go back to your home country and file for divorce. While the Philippines doesn't have divorce they do honor dissolution papers from other countries. You will probably have to look around for a lawyer that will take the case on. I know a Canadian that divorced a Filipina he was married to in the Philippines so it is possible there. You should have no problem doing the same in the US. You don't need her permission or to even notify her of the divorce if she has "disappeared" (the key word for a lawyer is "abandoned"). It will be a long and expensive journey. Nothing you can do about that except learn from it. And for Pete's sake, don't buy any property while you are married! You would just be making things potentially more complicated by doing so. 

It sucks and it will be expensive but there is no other (legal) way to go about it. I was married to a FilAm and got a divorce but luckily I was married in the US and had no problems. My marriage cost me $18 and the divorce cost me around $1,800 for the lawyer and I had to pay the c*** off with $15,000 (which she blew through in less than 6 months....while living in the Philippines...and she was good at blowing many other things as well, not just through the money. Such a c*** she was, glad I got rid of her and it was well worth the $17000 to do it.). 

Edited by Wrye83
  • Like 1

Shol
Posted
Posted

Hear the judge out and see what he/she has ruled. You've already wasted the money so you might as well see the results and learn from it. If it doesn't go your way go back to your home country and file for divorce. While the Philippines doesn't have divorce they do honor dissolution papers from other countries. You will probably have to look around for a lawyer that will take the case on. I know a Canadian that divorced a Filipina he was married to in the Philippines so it is possible there. You should have no problem doing the same in the US. You don't need her permission or to even notify her of the divorce if she has "disappeared" (the key word for a lawyer is "abandoned"). It will be a long and expensive journey. Nothing you can do about that except learn from it. And for Pete's sake, don't buy any property while you are married! You would just be making things potentially more complicated by doing so. 

It sucks and it will be expensive but there is no other (legal) way to go about it. I was married to a FilAm and got a divorce but luckily I was married in the US and had no problems. My marriage cost me $18 and the divorce cost me around $1,800 for the lawyer and I had to pay the c*** off with $15,000 (which she blew through in less than 6 months....while living in the Philippines...and she was good at blowing many other things as well, not just through the money. Such a c*** she was, glad I got rid of her and it was well worth the $17000 to do it.). 

Thanks for this ;) Yes will do what you said wait it out since I blew the money already lol. 

I guess at this point I have the bargaining power in the sense that I could in fact sue her for adultery because her new lover and her for some reason went and publisized there affair and out of marriage baby.

As for the property was just trying to figure out if there was a way to own it but not own it :)  I know I could put it in someone else's name however that would then cause issues to transfer such as either when I want it under my name or  if god forbid something happens to the person who is doing that for me.

Anyway thanks again wry