Retirement - Is Philippines The Answer

Thomas
Posted
Posted

For me it was to come here\with my gf to assess whether Phils is where we want to retire. Our focus is North Luzon, her home location Illocos Sur, but far enough for space I think you all know what I mean there.
Cities are not my cup of tea,

but with some distance to Ilocos Sur you have Baguio, which many foreigners like.

I have heared the Rosario mayor is progressive, but aiming at OFW Filipinos, so I don't know if it's good for foreigners there.

Thomas, Mogo51, others, Mogo Man is good guide because he's coming in fresh, open minded.

Bagiuo has been the favored destination for Filipino's and  foreigners since WW2 and even before. However...

OK.  NOT ANY city at all is my cup of tea, I just DISLIKE them different much    :lol:  

(I don't even like to live in a village, I want no neighbours at all.  When I "recomend" any city at all, it's just what I believe "city people" think, based on what I have heared/read.)

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

If you cannot afford to retire in your country and enjoy it then you will have to do some adjusting. I prefer to retire in my own country. I like being around my old friends and all my relatives. My children are very special to me. I enjoy my grandchildren the more  the merrier. I cannot think of living away from them. I plan to die in California. That's just the way I am.

On the other hand, there's a wedding band that keeps me in the Philippines for now. I do not recommend it for everyone. It is a Christian country and almost everyone understands English. 

I would have preferred northern Thailand. I love Thai food. I love the weather there in up country. I enjoy the cleanliness. I like the Buddhist shrines. I have not lived there but just visited. 

The beaches down south are nice too. 

I suggest  a visit to countries of interest and compare. Look at your budget and decide.

• Like 3

jon1
Posted
Posted

There is a new Medical City hospital at Clark. I have heard that it is comparable to the one in Ortigas (Manila). That is my primary choice at this point. I have been all the way up to Pagudpud and did not see anything up there that could hold me there. There are lots of expats in the Subic and Angeles area. I chose the Subic Freeport as I am not into the girlie bar scene. There are condos in Clark also. 

One thing that I have learned is these women adapt easily. When we first moved to the Subic Freeport, at first my wife was "bored". It was too quiet (no roosters, trikes, jeeps, kareoke, et al) and the neighbors keep to themselves (a lot like some places in the US). Now she realizes that it is not quiet but peaceful. After she spends less than a week in her hometown she is more than ready to come to the peace and quiet and stable power.

Do you know what sort of rent is paid in the Condos in Subic Freeport. I am realising more each day that may be the

the only answer. Just one b/room one level hopefully

There is a new condotel just opening up https://www.google.com.ph/maps/place/Ocean+Castle+Apartment+Hotel,+Dewey+Ave,+Olongapo,+Zambales/@14.8213741,120.2774137,18z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x33967114325f7af7:0x6c60e80f73426bd1 I heard that you can buy a condo for I believe 2.5M-3.0Mphp 50 year lease and they are one bedroom. 

There is also the Poco a Poco Condotel around the corner https://www.google.com.ph/maps/place/Poco+a+Poco+Condotel/@14.8213741,120.2774137,18z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x85a2dd339447c22ebut I hear that it's very hard to get in there as it stays fully occupied 

If you decide to move to the Freeport, you definitely need a vehicle. Everything is spread out and taxis are not cheap 250p+ for most trips. 

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I just would like to live in the house we had built in Marikina,  this is our main home,its the family home, its safe and everyone knows the family too, but i want to see as much of the Philippines as possible, having a base there is like having a stepping stone to explore all we can when we can

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Well that echoes the sentiment of other visitors. They rave about the place on the first day and by the end of Day 2, they have had enough. Central Vigan City is 3-4 moderate size city blocks. As someone else said, you could cover it in half a day.

It's a tourist and Fiesta center and it is more of a local Ilocano thing. it does attract visitors passing through. Again they would stay only 1-2 nights. As my late mother used to say "that was Paris on your left" on her European tour which she rated dead boring.

On the other hand for Mogo, he had to see it for himself, which he did. They are currently very well set up in Thailand, so factor that in.

The main reason we first went to Vigan, was so my gf could travel to her village and see her parents, but the assessment
about Vigan is correct. One point for those that may visit, dont stay at Grandpa Inn, very poor quality hotel.

Having said that, most of the hotels in the city leave much to be desired as I went to look at a few. Prices are
high, but as we learned, it is school holiday time and it is packed with people, so hotels are full irrespective

We went to Laoag and this is a nice city, good infrastructure and has most amenities needed. There is an expat base
there, many Hawaiians are residing there I am told. Had friends of my gf take us around and it was very impressive
we were fortunate to have access to their knowledge.

Another tip for fellow travellers, do not stay at Royal Octagon Resort (an abuse of that word), probably one of
the worst hotels I have ever stay in and the owners (former school teachers who should have stayed teaching) are
just not at all attune to customer satisfaction or needs.

It seems to me that unless you are into 5 star accommodation at exorbitant prices, you cannot get acceptable
standards. Basic things like glasses and water, tea/coffee making facilities are not provided and bedding standards
are very poor (I am particularly susceptible to that as I have chronic back condition).

SanFernando where we are now seems a likely place, we had a great meal last night at San Juan at a very reasonable
price. Hotel standard was again poor but staff as always obliging. Infrastructure here also seems ok and there
are westerners around the town.
We are off to Dagupan City Pangasinan to check out 100 islands, after which we will go to Angeles (my gf wants to
see it) and then Manila before going back to Thailand.
  • Like 1

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

There is a new Medical City hospital at Clark. I have heard that it is comparable to the one in Ortigas (Manila). That is my primary choice at this point. I have been all the way up to Pagudpud and did not see anything up there that could hold me there. There are lots of expats in the Subic and Angeles area. I chose the Subic Freeport as I am not into the girlie bar scene. There are condos in Clark also. 

One thing that I have learned is these women adapt easily. When we first moved to the Subic Freeport, at first my wife was "bored". It was too quiet (no roosters, trikes, jeeps, kareoke, et al) and the neighbors keep to themselves (a lot like some places in the US). Now she realizes that it is not quiet but peaceful. After she spends less than a week in her hometown she is more than ready to come to the peace and quiet and stable power.

Do you know what sort of rent is paid in the Condos in Subic Freeport. I am realising more each day that may be the

the only answer. Just one b/room one level hopefully

You are probably looking at a minimum of 25,000 per month.  If u live on base u will need a car or a motorcycle.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

We are just about completed our 3 week tour to seeking out likely retirement areas. I agree with your overview of North

Luzon, the only place that came close was Laoag, but I doubt there is enough reasons for me to choose that place.

We came back through San Fernando, roads too crowded, and in very poor condition, grid lock in the town during the day.

Pangasinan, 100 Islands very beautiful - a great tourist attraction going to waste and poorly managed.

Onto Angeles and I immediately knew that what is most important to me, is a strong western presence to maintain

social contact. Of course Fields Ave and places like it, I am well and truly over, but northof there around Clarkevill

is very interesting, good restaurants, less hectic (but maybe that will change as the spread continues).

If you can assist with any information about Subic, I would be most grateful such as housing costs, infrastructure

etc it would be appreciated. I met a Filipino guy on my journey who suggested outer Subic is a good proposition?

If you could PM any views suggestions I would be most grateful.

All in all, an interesting trip and exposure to provincial life in Phils. Like Thailand, provinces nice place to

visit just dont want to live there.

• 1 month later...
pariahdog
Posted
Posted

It would be helpful if you gave us more information about yourself and what you are looking for in a place to retire. I have lived in Cebu City for about 4 months and I am already dying to leave. I really hate this country. For me the main problem is the character of the people here but also how nothing seems to work and how so many people are incompetent and just don't care. About anything. This isn't my first poor country either. I've also lived in Cuba, Colombia, Laos, and Malaysia. All I find far preferable to the Philippines. Not even really comparable imo.

It's difficult for me to find good things to say about this place. There are a lot of pretty girls in some areas if you like the sort of look they tend to have and I do. hey are mostly nonviolent outside of Manila. You don't have to worry much about being the victim of a violent crime if you stay out of Manila and certain parts of Mindanao (mostly Cotabato City, Zamboanga City, and the Sulu islands).

However there are more pickpockets here in Cebu City than anywhere I have lived or travelled. By far. They are almost everywhere and that sort of thing is one of the few things they seem to be quite skilled at. When I go out walking or especially if I take a jeepney I make sure that I have nothing at all in any pockets. Don't even think about carrying a wallet here. It will be gone, but before they get that they will make sure to get your smartphone. Mine was pickpocketed within 48 hours of purchase. Barely even had any time to use it.

Sorry I was trying to list some good things about this country. Not an easy task. I've never lived in or visited an Asian country with quite so many white Europeans walking around. We must make up a sizeable percentage of the population in the more popular areas like Manila and Cebu City and Angeles City. So in the more popular locations there tends to be a much stronger expat community than in any other place I have lived. It's incredibly easy to make foreign friends here. At least it has been for me and I am quite bad at that sort of thing.

Some other points. the level of medical services here is the lowest I've seen anywhere. The drivers are the worst I've ever seen at least outside of Mainland China. They are reckless and unpredictible and liable to do all sorts of crazy stuff that tends to get pedestrians and motorcycle drivers hurt or killed. Seems like nearly everyone here knows someone who has been severely injured or killed on a motorcycle. Oh and the vehicles here take their right of way seriously. If you walk in front of a car there is quite a high chance that it won't stop for you and cars and trucks don't mind getting within a centimeter of hitting you as they brush past. Needless to say this is a dangerous country to be a pedestrian or bicyclist or motorcycle driver.

I definitely would not recommend this as a place to retire unless there are some very important features that you need and can only find here. You probably already know this but this culture has much more in common with other Pacific islands like Samoa or Fiji or Hawaii than it does with mainland Asia. If you like Samoa then you'd probably love it here.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Pariah, IMO its not that different here than in the States or any place else that does not have a Government Health system. Do you really thing the hospitals in Shelby Mississippi are of the same quality as those in Hollywood or Harlem compared to Denver? (better than here for sure but....)

I have a niece (Filipina naturally lol)  that works in a convalescent hospital in San Diego who makes around $30 per hour and another in the same job outside of Phoenix who gets about $22 for the same job basically.

Again IMO a persons need for health care should be one of the deciding factors about where they should settle. If they need lots of quality care, they had better sacrifice the peace and quite of the province and stick near Manila or one of its suburbs.

Like almost everything else here. You get what you pay for, and not much else :tiphat: .

stevewool
Posted
Posted

It would be helpful if you gave us more information about yourself and what you are looking for in a place to retire. I have lived in Cebu City for about 4 months and I am already dying to leave. I really hate this country. For me the main problem is the character of the people here but also how nothing seems to work and how so many people are incompetent and just don't care. About anything. This isn't my first poor country either. I've also lived in Cuba, Colombia, Laos, and Malaysia. All I find far preferable to the Philippines. Not even really comparable imo.

It's difficult for me to find good things to say about this place. There are a lot of pretty girls in some areas if you like the sort of look they tend to have and I do. hey are mostly nonviolent outside of Manila. You don't have to worry much about being the victim of a violent crime if you stay out of Manila and certain parts of Mindanao (mostly Cotabato City, Zamboanga City, and the Sulu islands).

However there are more pickpockets here in Cebu City than anywhere I have lived or travelled. By far. They are almost everywhere and that sort of thing is one of the few things they seem to be quite skilled at. When I go out walking or especially if I take a jeepney I make sure that I have nothing at all in any pockets. Don't even think about carrying a wallet here. It will be gone, but before they get that they will make sure to get your smartphone. Mine was pickpocketed within 48 hours of purchase. Barely even had any time to use it.

Sorry I was trying to list some good things about this country. Not an easy task. I've never lived in or visited an Asian country with quite so many white Europeans walking around. We must make up a sizeable percentage of the population in the more popular areas like Manila and Cebu City and Angeles City. So in the more popular locations there tends to be a much stronger expat community than in any other place I have lived. It's incredibly easy to make foreign friends here. At least it has been for me and I am quite bad at that sort of thing.

Some other points. the level of medical services here is the lowest I've seen anywhere. The drivers are the worst I've ever seen at least outside of Mainland China. They are reckless and unpredictible and liable to do all sorts of crazy stuff that tends to get pedestrians and motorcycle drivers hurt or killed. Seems like nearly everyone here knows someone who has been severely injured or killed on a motorcycle. Oh and the vehicles here take their right of way seriously. If you walk in front of a car there is quite a high chance that it won't stop for you and cars and trucks don't mind getting within a centimeter of hitting you as they brush past. Needless to say this is a dangerous country to be a pedestrian or bicyclist or motorcycle driver.

I definitely would not recommend this as a place to retire unless there are some very important features that you need and can only find here. You probably already know this but this culture has much more in common with other Pacific islands like Samoa or Fiji or Hawaii than it does with mainland Asia. If you like Samoa then you'd probably love it here.

Did you research as much as you could before you came here, 4 months and you are wishing to be gone,