Retirement - Is Philippines The Answer

• 4 weeks later...
Jake
Posted
Posted

It would be helpful if you gave us more information about yourself and what you are looking for in a place to retire. I have lived in Cebu City for about 4 months and I am already dying to leave. I really hate this country. For me the main problem is the character of the people here but also how nothing seems to work and how so many people are incompetent and just don't care. About anything. This isn't my first poor country either. I've also lived in Cuba, Colombia, Laos, and Malaysia. All I find far preferable to the Philippines. Not even really comparable imo.

It's difficult for me to find good things to say about this place. There are a lot of pretty girls in some areas if you like the sort of look they tend to have and I do. hey are mostly nonviolent outside of Manila. You don't have to worry much about being the victim of a violent crime if you stay out of Manila and certain parts of Mindanao (mostly Cotabato City, Zamboanga City, and the Sulu islands).

However there are more pickpockets here in Cebu City than anywhere I have lived or travelled. By far. They are almost everywhere and that sort of thing is one of the few things they seem to be quite skilled at. When I go out walking or especially if I take a jeepney I make sure that I have nothing at all in any pockets. Don't even think about carrying a wallet here. It will be gone, but before they get that they will make sure to get your smartphone. Mine was pickpocketed within 48 hours of purchase. Barely even had any time to use it.

Sorry I was trying to list some good things about this country. Not an easy task. I've never lived in or visited an Asian country with quite so many white Europeans walking around. We must make up a sizeable percentage of the population in the more popular areas like Manila and Cebu City and Angeles City. So in the more popular locations there tends to be a much stronger expat community than in any other place I have lived. It's incredibly easy to make foreign friends here. At least it has been for me and I am quite bad at that sort of thing.

Some other points. the level of medical services here is the lowest I've seen anywhere. The drivers are the worst I've ever seen at least outside of Mainland China. They are reckless and unpredictible and liable to do all sorts of crazy stuff that tends to get pedestrians and motorcycle drivers hurt or killed. Seems like nearly everyone here knows someone who has been severely injured or killed on a motorcycle. Oh and the vehicles here take their right of way seriously. If you walk in front of a car there is quite a high chance that it won't stop for you and cars and trucks don't mind getting within a centimeter of hitting you as they brush past. Needless to say this is a dangerous country to be a pedestrian or bicyclist or motorcycle driver.

I definitely would not recommend this as a place to retire unless there are some very important features that you need and can only find here. You probably already know this but this culture has much more in common with other Pacific islands like Samoa or Fiji or Hawaii than it does with mainland Asia. If you like Samoa then you'd probably love it here.

I have never read a more misguided idiotic post on this forum. Can only surmise it is is written by someone whom has lost common sense and broods in their hotel room all day.

The country has a net work of boats and buses, instead of brooding in Cebu I suggest you get out and see the real Philippines, but exercise a little common sense as do thousands of tourists whom enjoy the country without experiencing your problems.

Triple LIKE RBM!

• Like 1

lonewolf
Posted
Posted

I ve enjoyed both my trips there very much

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I've lived in Antigua and Thailand and most of the people there have been friendly and welcoming. I have found the Filipino people I have met to be the friendliest and kindest of them all. My experiences here with expats has brought me to the same conclusion. I will add that all my time here has been spent in Mindanao

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I've lived in Antigua and Thailand and most of the people there have been friendly and welcoming. I have found the Filipino people I have met to be the friendliest and kindest of them all. My experiences here with expats has brought me to the same conclusion. I will add that all my time here has been spent in Mindanao

I have to concur on this! The people in Davao are so friendly that it took me a while to relax and trust them... Now, on my daily walks (for fat burning), I go through a mix of very large estates and fish through the squatter's shanties and I get the same response everywhere... "Hey, Bob! Maayong buntag/gabii!" Even last night on my walk through the squatter's area... I heard "Hey! Joe!" And when I turned around, I saw the local Gangstas... "Hey, Bob, didn't know it was you'cause it so dark!". Hehe!

• Like 5

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I have to concur on this! The people in Davao are so friendly that it took me a while to relax and trust them... Now, on my daily walks (for fat burning),
Are you sure they don't smile, because they find you crazy by exersising?  :mocking:   

Just joking  :)

But I know some POOR Filipinos take tricycle 400 meters from bus stop to village, when they have money!   (That's why I have from my house to my mailbox, and I have walked sometimes using crutches...)

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

It is a Catch 22 at our age, we want facilities particularly medical facilities,

There are two cities that have good hospitals, Cebu City or Manila. Manila has the best but not up to world class standards. Wealthy Filipinos go to Hong Kong or the States for serious medical procedures. 

I concur, if you have substantial travel medical insurance or equivalent, Singapore or Hong Kong are your destinations. From time to time for work I have also medivac patients from Manila to Darwin.

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

It would be helpful if you gave us more information about yourself and what you are looking for in a place to retire. I have lived in Cebu City for about 4 months and I am already dying to leave. I really hate this country. For me the main problem is the character of the people here but also how nothing seems to work and how so many people are incompetent and just don't care. About anything. This isn't my first poor country either. I've also lived in Cuba, Colombia, Laos, and Malaysia. All I find far preferable to the Philippines. Not even really comparable imo.

It's difficult for me to find good things to say about this place. There are a lot of pretty girls in some areas if you like the sort of look they tend to have and I do. hey are mostly nonviolent outside of Manila. You don't have to worry much about being the victim of a violent crime if you stay out of Manila and certain parts of Mindanao (mostly Cotabato City, Zamboanga City, and the Sulu islands).

However there are more pickpockets here in Cebu City than anywhere I have lived or travelled. By far. They are almost everywhere and that sort of thing is one of the few things they seem to be quite skilled at. When I go out walking or especially if I take a jeepney I make sure that I have nothing at all in any pockets. Don't even think about carrying a wallet here. It will be gone, but before they get that they will make sure to get your smartphone. Mine was pickpocketed within 48 hours of purchase. Barely even had any time to use it.

Sorry I was trying to list some good things about this country. Not an easy task. I've never lived in or visited an Asian country with quite so many white Europeans walking around. We must make up a sizeable percentage of the population in the more popular areas like Manila and Cebu City and Angeles City. So in the more popular locations there tends to be a much stronger expat community than in any other place I have lived. It's incredibly easy to make foreign friends here. At least it has been for me and I am quite bad at that sort of thing.

Some other points. the level of medical services here is the lowest I've seen anywhere. The drivers are the worst I've ever seen at least outside of Mainland China. They are reckless and unpredictible and liable to do all sorts of crazy stuff that tends to get pedestrians and motorcycle drivers hurt or killed. Seems like nearly everyone here knows someone who has been severely injured or killed on a motorcycle. Oh and the vehicles here take their right of way seriously. If you walk in front of a car there is quite a high chance that it won't stop for you and cars and trucks don't mind getting within a centimeter of hitting you as they brush past. Needless to say this is a dangerous country to be a pedestrian or bicyclist or motorcycle driver.

I definitely would not recommend this as a place to retire unless there are some very important features that you need and can only find here. You probably already know this but this culture has much more in common with other Pacific islands like Samoa or Fiji or Hawaii than it does with mainland Asia. If you like Samoa then you'd probably love it here.

I have never read a more misguided idiotic post on this forum. Can only surmise it is is written by someone whom has lost common sense and broods in their hotel room all day.

The country has a net work of boats and buses, instead of brooding in Cebu I suggest you get out and see the real Philippines, but exercise a little common sense as do thousands of tourists whom enjoy the country without experiencing your problems.

Triple LIKE RBM!

Triple LIKE RBM!

mogo51
Posted
Posted

It is pretty obvious you do not like the Philippines. The good news is that planes leave Manila daily for the States,

sounds like you would be better of catching one asap.

• Like 2

Czechman
Posted
Posted (edited)

I live in Cebu city now because of various reasons (near malls/retail-shopping, pharmacies, various other services, etc) and I have to comment on what pariahdog stated, and yes, the pickpockets are abundant! But so are the scammers and gold-diggers too! But of course this can be a situation in any country--third world or first-rate.

I was surprised one evening though, coming out of Ayala with some bags in both hands waiting on a taxi, a smelly beggar (seriously, she hadn't changed her clothes or bathed for days) was asking for money and I told her that its is illegal in the Philippines to beg and I can be arrested for giving money as well. But she just kept on begging to other Filipinos then she disappeared after she tried to hit me up again. So I turn to this young Pilipina behind me and told her that it really is illegal to beg and to give to the beggars and I'd be in violation of the law. She just replied, "What did the beggar say when you told her that?" I said, she basically didn't register it, asked again and walked off. I also replied that the beggar would most likely go off to buy drugs or booze with the money anyway. Then her 2 friends came in and one of them brushed up against my leg with her carrying-bags/backpack thing--so I thought nothing of it as I stood there with both hands still clutching bags. She then started asking me the, you know, "9 questions routine," ie: "Where you from?" What are you doing here? etc. I told her I'm from the US and she then said that she was going to Pigeon Forge, Pennsylvania soon. I said oh that's a nice place, been there, and conversed about other trivial things about the US as I still waited on my taxi.

Well, while she was rattling off on her initial approach, the other guy that I assumed was the young Pilipina's (the girl originally behind me in line before these 2 showed up) boyfriend, had unbuttoned my lower cargo pocket on my right leg - as he was bending down adjusting his bags-- and this happened simultaneously when this same girl (that was rattling off), bumped my other leg with her bags. You know how these people work right? It never dawned on me but luckily, I must have moved before he was able to get my pocket wifi from my cargo-pocket that he had unbuttoned earlier upon his arrival! There are some slippery and slick ones out there that's for sure!

So I'm living in Cebu City, at a higher floor level, - to hopefully - stay out of the pollution and that is where I'm at now because it's quiet for the most part and really secure also. However, I am considering a trip to Thailand (due to the relatively same cost of living or slightly higher as according to numbeo, than the Phils) because the Phils is really too much into deep, intense religious/Christianity based routines and lifestyles for one. Seriously, you're in a store and on the intercom, a lame-sounding cymbal (or pie-tin LOL) goes off a number of times, and it's 5 minutes of "Jesus Genre"  <--followed by more corny-sounding cymbals??? And these Filipinos stand there or move to the aisle's-end and remain motionless.

It is truly an experience when these "supposedly christian people" (this applies to some but not all now), are all saintly and religious disciples, but as for you the foreigner (and their own people sometimes), they'll lie to you, try to scam you, raise prices, borrow money and of course, never repay it. But I am wise and don't  let anyone borrow money anymore and/or I am very very cautious when they try to lay a story on me - and I analyze it for scamation principles or not. It keeps me so "on-the-guard" though, when it comes to just about everything here! It's like OMG, what next??!!

Now again, I'm venting as there are some good people here but, I still want to try Thailand for an extended vacation and see what it's like there. And hopefully, they won't lie and scam me as often as it happens here in the Phils. I had an expat tell me that I would like Thailand a while back and so I say, why not?

Edited by Czechman