Retirement - Is Philippines The Answer

RBM
Posted
Posted

Curruption is everywhere even pensioners who are entitled to 500 pesos a month have to wait 3-4 months before its released to them !!

500??  The president told retired will get 3000 per month (Have started?).  I suppouse so, because a citizen in Metro Cebu complained they got only half of the promised. 

I have been to Bohol and I would live there in a pinch. It has a small tourist trap element, but I would still live there.

Yes, the south side and Chockolate Hills are "tourist region" while the rest isn't.

I like the landscape type in northeast, but need to research more if the criminality is to big problem to settle there.  Some expats say they live there without problem, while others say it's a big problem. Perhaps depending of there are no NPA guerila there stoping the criminals   :)

I am a bit cynical when it comes to "tourist attractions", first the tiny monkeys and then the Chocolate Hills. I agree that it's a naturally occurring phenomena but so what, a few hundred grassy hills and you are perched on some ledge looking over them. Well I have been to the Sth Dakota Badlands which has to be similar, so I would bluntly say give the whole thing a miss. The explanations as to why the hills were formed is very sketchy to say the least..."underwater" they say.

Taglibaran was quite nice and very cheap. But then heading out to the beach it seems the best beaches are already controlled by resorts so pay as you go. The other beaches are rocky, distinctly second class.

But then you do have the Boholian's or Boholanian's and for me they are very nice, simplistic, uncorrupted. While I was there I met quite a few who came over from Dumaguete esp for medical care, and they were saying Dumagute is better, quieter.

Along the way I got a few recommendations like that, but none for Cebu.

Wonder how long it is since you visited Tagbilaran. I was there earlier this month and did not find it in anyway a nice city. Very polluted and quite congested with tricycles, many two strokes.

Do like the IC Mall especially the bee cafe. Also the deaf and dumb cafe, think it's called garden cafe by the plaza. The tastier (primates not monkeys) sanctuary is amazing but now many buses stopping, lots of Koreans.

It's said many NPAs are active how ever seems no problem for the average tourist. Having traveled the Island extensively by motor and apart from some abusive drunks never experienced a problem. Would comment the towns inland certainly seem extremely primitive.

Panglao Island is for the tourists, divers. The vendors and such can drive one nuts, forget about peace and quiet. Still for a few days of partying and good food worth a visit.

chris49
Posted
Posted

Around 2011 and it was mostly confined to the hotel, restaurant, and the staff.

I was comparing it to what I estimate to be similar size cities, but in other regions. San Fernando, La Union Pop 114, 000 is an absolute nightmare as far as traffic and pollution. While at Taglibaran, 98,000, we came over from the airport around mid day and did not notice anything traffic wise. Diito going back to the airport and going in and out of town a few times, traffic was moving and I didn't see traffic jams, pollution per se...didn't look for any either.

I did find the people to be quite unintrusive as compared to other regions.

But yoiur view is probably more accurate RBM, we came down from Metro Manila so naturally we found it quieter.

RBM
Posted
Posted

One other disappointment in Tagbilaran was when we arrived at pier to board the lovely new super cat we were told its cancelled. They said we could swap to the ocean jet which travels later. So accepting this we decided to wait at the terminal, not sure guess about two years since the earthquake. Well the waiting terminal was just a tent, after all this time still no terminal, makes one wonder what the many international travelers must think.

Positive side is around 5pm in the plaza, amazing to see thousands of birds come in, huge flocks, all black, asked but seemed nobody new name. Almost blacks the sky. Truly a wonderful experience to see this.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
It's said many NPAs are active how ever seems no problem for the average tourist. Having traveled the Island extensively by motor and apart from some abusive drunks never experienced a problem.
Oh are there NPA there now?    In difference from other islands, I haven't heared any locals talking about NPA, but I haven't asked any of them  :)     Some time ago (1.5 years ?) the government said Bohol was "guerila free".

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Some time ago (1.5 years ?) the government said Bohol was "guerila free".

:hystery:  Only because there is No Immigration Office. :mocking:

JP :tiphat:

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
Some time ago (1.5 years ?) the government said Bohol was "guerila free".

It's true, but they still got monkey's (smallest in the world) :mocking:

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Bohol was my dream place to retire too, but the wife has spoken , still is a on going subject

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Is the phills the answer for some yes for others no.

• Like 2