Older Expat's, Will Moving To Philippines Lower Life Expectancy?

Curley
Posted
Posted (edited)

The standard/availability of medical services in the Phils is a subject that comes up often here, however one factor that never seems to appear is how the average person can do a lot to avoid the necessity for medical treatment. Exercise, cutting out a lot of the alcohol intake, eating sensibly, maintaining a constant weight are huge factors in many "ailments". It seems that people prefer to take pills to alleviate the symptoms rather than change their lifestyle to help themselves. Increase your life expectancy and quality of life by helping your body to cope.

Preparing for incoming :bash:

Edited by Curley
  • Like 4

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
you can call CareFlight for a helicopter ride to the hospital - try that here.

Tim, as a non American, that Careflight helicopter comes at a price right?

I dont imagine (Not living in Philippines at this time) that most people including Ex-pats could afford it, if such a facility  was availble! :89:

chris49
Posted
Posted

you can call CareFlight for a helicopter ride to the hospital - try that here.

Tim, as a non American, that Careflight helicopter comes at a price right?

I dont imagine (Not living in Philippines at this time) that most people including Ex-pats could afford it, if such a facility  was availble! :89:

Right Kuya John. Maybe for major life saving situations, but not across the entire USA. (I'm also American Cit, I think you know that)

And pay as you go.

Helicopter service also available here in Phils. 800k pesos, near enough 20k dollars. private service.

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

You're right happiness is a state of mind, But who's mind and what state of mind are you in compared to me. You see happiness is different for everyone. That's why it can be bought. Happiness can be bought by good people or evil people, poor people or rich, it's there for who ever is willing to pay the price for it. But it's only temporary, last as long as you have what ever it is you're using to pay for it with. 

I can buy anything I want for a price and call my self happy. We all do it. You know what I mean when I say it all has a price, life itself has a price. It's the value we always feel we must put on something, no matter what it is. 

Joy can not be bought, you go ahead and try and I'll bet you a million dollars your idea of joy is nothing more than mere happiness. Joy erupts from no where and makes you want to give joy back. Joy is the memory that sticks to your brain for a life time. Joy can be a by-product of love, but you can't buy love either. You can buy the actions of love, a kiss, a hug ,a ...well you know, but you can not buy the genuine emotion of love. Some of you reading this right now are in a relationship where you know there is no real emotion of love. You know the emotion because you felt it as a younger man. You have settled for, bought and paid for, happiness and a chance to drink from the cup of gratitude, it's as good as it gets for some, especially in our silver and golden years, When we are in relationships where there is a big age difference. I'm not saying all of those relationships lack the emotion of real love, but some of you know what I'm talking about, you're living it. But you're practical, smart and you don't try to buy love or joy, you wait for it and maybe pray it happens. In the mean time you buy your happiness by living where you want to live, living with who you want to live with, feeding who you want to feed and befriending those you want to be friends with. All paid for by a life time of work. Here's to buying Happiness and finding unexpected Joy!!!!

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Wow ! a lot of excellent advice and experience. I will add my 2 cents. 

I still have an active HMO back home in the states and I keep it just in case I need it when I am there. So far, my medical needs  in the Philippines have been well taken care of and cheaper than if I had used my HMO. Dental work is good and cheap. Just x rays, cleaning and exam runs about 1600 Pesos. My Lab work is also cheap. I have a stent in my heart and I am a pre diabetic. I have an excellent cardiologist that examins my test results and advises me and prescribes necessary adjustments to my prescription drugs. He spends quality time with me on my visits and does not rush me out to get to other patients. The only problem is that he treats all his patients like this and my waiting time is lengthy. I know it is selfish of me to expect quick appointments and I am grateful for his care for my health.

So, no complaints from me about medical ttreatment in Philippines. It is good and inexpensive. 

I try to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I would rather die of a heart attack than to slowly die as a diabetic. So, I watch what I eat and drink.

• Like 5

RBM
Posted
Posted

The standard/availability of medical services in the Phils is a subject that comes up often here, however one factor that never seems to appear is how the average person can do a lot to avoid the necessity for medical treatment. Exercise, cutting out a lot of the alcohol intake, eating sensibly, maintaining a constant weight are huge factors in many "ailments". It seems that people prefer to take pills to alleviate the symptoms rather than change their lifestyle to help themselves. Increase your life expectancy and quality of life by helping your body to cope.

Personally could not agree more with this post. There are so many who could be helped by following this advice. I travel pretty extensively here, there seems to be so many expats hanging in bars obviously well out of shape and looking miserable.

Just now received a message that an old friend has suffered a stroke and his son brought him back to the UK. Two weeks ago another friend died in Chong Huia, both could of been helped following the above.

If one is living here, in his senior years I belive they should concentrate more on enjoying current time, quality time, not just how long will I live. By acting on the above info this will greatly assist.

For those with a current serious medical issue they would certainly have to consider their options. Personally the temperatures here here greatly assist my aches and pains.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

My thought exactly RBM. Our choices dictate the quality of life we live.

One thought occurred to me many years ago to do with retiring in Philippines. It would be a wonderful location to spend ones last days no matter the count.

Edited by Old55

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

All of the above are on my bucket list, might start on that today.  :)

A few years back a small resort owner up in Daanbantayan had a heart attack if I recall correctly, an ambulance had to take him to Cebu city but on the way ran out of oxygen so they stopped in a welding shop to borrow a cylinder, he made it to Cebu but died anyway. So my point is that the closer you are to a major hospital the better your chances but its the same here in Australia where services in rural areas are lacking compared to the city.

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

I believe that when your number is up, it doesn't matter where you are.  So live where you want to.

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted

I believe that when your number is up, it doesn't matter where you are.  So live where you want to.

I tend to think like that, the more fatalistic view.

However, MacBubba, you a Canadian, and other Aussies, Kiwi's and Brits, I'm sure you guys keep up your Nat Health Cards and Senior's Health Cards back home.  That's cheap insurance in case you do get something major,right?