Older Expat's, Will Moving To Philippines Lower Life Expectancy?

RBM
Posted
Posted

ush me out to get to other patients. The only problem is that he treats all his patients like this and my waiting time is lengthy. I know it is selfish of me to expect quick appointments and I am grateful for his care for my health.

So, no complaints from me about medical ttreatment in Philippines. It is good and inexpensive.

ush me out to get to other patients. The only problem is that he treats all his patients like this and my waiting time is lengthy. I know it is selfish of me to expect quick appointments and I am grateful for his care for my health.

So, no complaints from me about medical ttreatment in Philippines.

Yes this is a common issue. One can bring a good book or put name on list and go away for a coffee and return. During my frequent visits to an orthopedic in Cebu last year after a bike accident I was able to get friendly with the secretary and after listing my name she would text me when it was close to my turn. There are no appointments here and unlike my country the doctor will spend as long as it takes for each patient. We must be grateful for this.

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
However, MacBubba, you a Canadian, and other Aussies, Kiwi's and Brits, I'm sure you guys keep up your Nat Health Cards and Senior's Health Cards back home. That's cheap insurance in case you do get something major,right?

In Ontario, to keep our OHIP benefits, we need to be residents.  That means being in residence for 5 months out of the year.  We are weighing our options.  There is a big cost to maintaining two households.  Private insurance might be more cost-efficient.

Edited by MacBubba
  • Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

However, MacBubba, you a Canadian, and other Aussies, Kiwi's and Brits, I'm sure you guys keep up your Nat Health Cards and Senior's Health Cards back home. That's cheap insurance in case you do get something major,right?

In Ontario, to keep our OHIP benefits, we need to residents.  That means being in residence for 5 months out of the year.  We are weighing our options.  There is a big cost to maintaining two households.  Private insurance might be more cost-efficient.

As in Australia we need to have an entry every 180 days.  But it can be regained if you resume residency,

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
As in Australia we need to have an entry every 180 days. But it can be regained if you resume residency,

How long is the waiting period?

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

In Ontario, to keep our OHIP benefits, we need to residents.  That means being in residence for 5 months out of the year.  We are weighing our options.  There is a big cost to maintaining two households.  Private insurance might be more cost-efficient.

As in Australia we need to have an entry every 180 days.  But it can be regained if you resume residency,

As stated earlier, UK expats if they leave the UK for longer than 3 months, lose their rights to benefits or hospitalisation, if they live outside of the European Community. If they return to UK they have to sign a Repatriation Form and take up UK residency.

There are political moves to stop "Health Tourist" visiting UK for free treatment!

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

As in Australia we need to have an entry every 180 days. But it can be regained if you resume residency,

How long is the waiting period?

Can't say yet Mac, because although I did turn 65 in November, i did not report to get my pension and Senior's Health Card. Got another guy like me going back every 180 days and he maintains his health care.  If it would lapse, not sure, because there's a point where all benefits are reduced then cut, so I would assume some difficulty.

Australia is complicated because if you have a 35 year work history, your benefits cannot ever be stopped, even if overseas. They will send you a form once a year.

I'm getting a low SS from the USA. Although that sounds good, the Aussies make reductions in your pension, in that case.  That's why I'm not rushing, and doubly thinking the situation.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I believe that when your number is up, it doesn't matter where you are.  So live where you want to.

I tend to think like that, the more fatalistic view.

However, MacBubba, you a Canadian, and other Aussies, Kiwi's and Brits, I'm sure you guys keep up your Nat Health Cards and Senior's Health Cards back home.  That's cheap insurance in case you do get something major,right?

The Swedish insuranse is FREE as long as the officials count us as living in Sweden at least 6 months per year.

The Swedish TAX department count people as living  IN Sweden even when they DON'T, if having "to much connection" to Sweden. (Such as underaged kid, house (?) , business.)   I will KEEP my Swedish business after I move to Phils, so it will be fun to see if some officials will want to count me as living in Sweden, while some other officials want OPPOSITE   :mocking:

It's easy anyway to get back in to get the medical care, just move to Sweden 3 (?) months.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
pariahdog
Posted
Posted

All I can say is that I have not been impressed with the medical services here in Cebu City. The best hospital here is considered Chong Hua and I seem to know a bit more about medicine than at least some of the doctors and nurses there and that's just by going on the internet and searching before I went there. The only place i've been to with doctors so ingnorant/incompetent was in Cuba and actually I think the Cuban doctors were a bit better. I would most definitely not want to have any serious medical procedures done here.

You would be much better off going somewhere else to get anything done. Pretty much anywhere else. Even just trying to see a doctor can be a bit of a nightmare. Often the doctors don't bother to show up for work that day. Or they take a 3 hour lunch. Some of the hospitals are indistinguishable from photos I've seen of hospitals in Africa. Scared me a bit going in there. But at least they use disposable needles at Chong Hua. Last time I was in Cuba they didn't have disposable needles. They'd just dunk the needle in an alchol tray between patients. So I guess it could be worse. Maybe there is a better hospital in Manila to serve the people of Makati. I don't know.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
All I can say is that I have not been impressed with the medical services here in Cebu City. The best hospital here is considered Chong Hua and I seem to know a bit more about medicine than at least some of the doctors and nurses there and that's just by going on the internet and searching before I went there.
It's the same with many western doctors. One of "my" knee doctors didn't understood it's bad with many shakes and bends for an injuried knee. He didn't like when I said:

-WHAT?! A 6 year old understand that...

:hystery:

Specialy Swedish surgeons are terrible at think of the WHOLE person, they just think at people as if we are mashines where they can replace parts...  Many don't even understand it can be a pain problem!!!  :bash:     But many of them are skilled at surgery, when such is necesary. So if I will need surgery, I will go to Sweden   :)

Danish and German doctors in average are much better than Swedish doctors at thinking of whole person and even include alternative medecin as an alternative.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Is there such a thing as the local witch doctor in some towns or Provence , someone who may know a different  way to treat us, maybe witch doctor is to strong a word , but i am sure there is a alternative for most things just like the good old aspirin