Older Expat's, Will Moving To Philippines Lower Life Expectancy?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Yeah... I have let my wife know, in no uncertain terms, not to ever call that freaking witch doctor again.  

He rubbed by head with ginger root and said quit eating shellfish and my seizures would go away.   I laughed in his face and told him I don't eat shellfish.  And for the first 20 years of my seizures was vegetarian so I sure as hell did not eat it then.  Then I may have said something along the lines of get that f'ing ginger root off my head... 

And, living an hour from the city, I know even a simple heart attack will be  a death sentence for me... so I enjoy each day I do get ha ha  :tiphat:

• Like 5

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)

Is there such a thing as the local witch doctor in some towns or Provence , someone who may know a different  way to treat us, maybe witch doctor is to strong a word , but i am sure there is a alternative for most things just like the good old aspirin

I don't know of any "witch doctor" but I wouldn't be suprised if there are many in provinces, because there are much superstision.

It's rather common with people, who sell herbs for medical use.   Ginger is one of them   :)

And close to the new airport between CDO and Iligan there is a Dr Kwack*   :hystery:

*I don't know if it's funny in English, but in Swedish we call fake doctors "Kvackare".

Edited by Thomas

pariahdog
Posted
Posted

Guess your unaware of Cebu Doctors

I live walking distance from Cebu Doctors and I"ve consulted with doctors there. Yes Chong Hua is better. Everyone who lives here knows it. I sure as hell would not want to get a medical procedure done at either hospital and all the expats here that I've met tend to feel the same. It is unfortunate that even the doctors here are not competent or knowledgeable, but it does seem to be the case. I believe it is completely irresponsible for anyone who lives here to lead a foreigner to believe they are in good hands medically here. Practically criminal advice imo. They don't even have fairly basic lab tests that most other countries have.

pariahdog
Posted
Posted
Seems you really have a chip on the shoulder regarding Cebu ....Cebu anything.

Pot, meet kettle Mr. Rose Colored Glasses. I am just reporting what I see and sharing my experience and that of many of the expat friends I've made here. I don't think Cebu is really any worse than anywhere else in the country for most things. I mean aside from it being a Philippine city. In fact in some ways it is better. There are 3-4 decent (foreign owned) restaurants here. Even a French bakery that is actually quite good. Aside from Manila you wan't find food like that in this country anywhere else. I certainly think Cebu City is a much nicer place to live than Manila which truly does seem like hell on earth. I just think most people need to be aware of the faults of this place as well as its virtues. And it isn't really an Asian country culturally. Also something to keep in mind. It's more like retiring to Samoa than to a real Asian country.

davewe
Posted
Posted

Although I am in very good health, at 62 this is something I think of. There are 2 general scenarios, one of which seems valid to me and one does not:

1. Scenario one is the "ER" syndrome. We've all watched medical shows so often that we actually believe that if the ambulance can get you to the hospital before you actually take your last breath, they will save you. Hmmm - maybe not. The success rate for CPR is very small, for example. I am not talking about in provincial Cebu or in the sticks in the US. I am talking about people receiving CPR in major medical facilities. Yet if you watch a hospital show, everyone lives after receiving CPR. The reality is that even if you are relatively close to a hospital, in a major medical emergency, your odds aren't great, and they get far worse as you age. So, I am not going to live next door to a Philippines hospital based on this occurrence.

2. But scenario 2 is different for me. Here we have a situation in which you need continuing care for a major medical (but not necessarily terminal) issue. For example you need a treatment twice a week and you are 3 hours from the hospital. Transportation would get discouraging quickly. 

So for me a middle position is probably best. 

• Like 1

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Is there such a thing as the local witch doctor in some towns or Provence , someone who may know a different  way to treat us, maybe witch doctor is to strong a word , but i am sure there is a alternative for most things just like the good old aspirin

They call them "quack doctors" here and yes, they use alternative medicines and treatments.  Once, my in-laws were babysitting for us and there was a near accident with my daughter...she was quite startled.  I showed up right when they were leaving to visit the quack doctor...for shock treatment....on a one year old child.  They said it was very common....no, they don't babysit for us anymore.

As for life expectancy, it's a double edged-sword.  If you find real peace and happiness here, you might actually prolong your life.  But you should be pro-active and focus on wellness.  Because, as was stated, even a minor emergency could become life-threatening in this country.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I live walking distance from Cebu Doctors and I"ve consulted with doctors there. Yes Chong Hua is better. Everyone who lives here knows it. I sure as hell would not want to get a medical procedure done at either hospital and all the expats here that I've met tend to feel the same. It is unfortunate that even the doctors here are not competent or knowledgeable, but it does seem to be the case. I believe it is completely irresponsible for anyone who lives here to lead a foreigner to believe they are in good hands medically here. Practically criminal advice imo. They don't even have fairly basic lab tests that most other countries have.

Well I think you are full of crap and only here to stir the pot. Our very own retired admin was hit by a tip truck while riding his motorbike near Cebu; seriously injured and close to death but he is fine today so those doctors who know nothing must have lots of good luck.

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted

So after four months of walking past Cebu Docs your now an authority on Cebu medical care.

I have never read such totally incompetent ridiculous comments. Just hope as said earlier pending visitors take your crazy negative comments with a grain of salt. Really you have a chip on your shoulder.

My GF s sister has worked at Cebu Docs for many years and I receive excellent feed back as I have from numerous expats treated there and other medical centers in Cebu. Still after 4 months no doubt you are far more highly qualified to comment.

I am at a loss to understand why the mods here allow you to continue to spout such misleading crap especially in relation to medical matters.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
I am at a loss to understand why the mods here allow you to continue to spout such misleading crap especially in relation to medical matters.

Because we are on Cebu's Doctors payroll and they want us to send your blood pressure through the roof. :mocking:

• Like 1