Who Said Littering Is Accepted

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Amazing with the amount of litter scattered everywhere that there is an actual enforcement of anti litter laws in some places.

Seaman barred at NAIA over littering case

MANILA, Philippines - For not settling his P500 fine with the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) for an anti-littering case two years ago, a seaman bound for Singapore was stopped by immigration officers at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport and missed his flight last week.

Raul Samson was apprehended on April 25, 2013 for dropping a cigarette butt at the Metro Rail Transit EDSA-Guadalupe station, according to the MMDA.

Samson was charged with violation of Republic Act 9003 or the Solid Waste Management Act before the Makati Metropolitan Trial Court (MTC) for failing to settle his fine within the prescribed period.

Makati MTC Branch 67 Judge Jackie Crisologo Saguisag issued a warrant for Samson’s arrest on Oct. 8 last year after he failed to appear in court for his arraignment.

MMDA senior health program officer Rose Blay said Samson may now be able to leave for Singapore after he showed up at the MMDA office in Makati City on April 6 and paid his penalty.

The MMDA had informed the Makati court that it would no longer pursue the case against Samson, Blay said.

Blay explained that a litterbug apprehended by the MMDA is given three days, from the time of his apprehension, to pay a fine of P500 to P1,000 or to render community service for a maximum of 16 hours. Should the litterbug fail to do either penalty within three days, the MMDA will file a case before the court.

She said many of those nabbed and issued environmental violation receipts by MMDA enforcers were caught in the act of throwing candy wrappers and cigarette butts in the streets.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

A very rare occurrence.  

But I hate the littering.  I finally got my wife to hold her trash until we find a rubbish bin (just because she is tired of me bitching about it).  :tiphat:

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I finally got my wife to hold her trash until we find a rubbish bin

In 2008 I asked a Sinulog official why there were no rubbish bins along the parade route.  He said it is cheaper to just pay street cleaners to come along the morning after the parade and clean up all the trash.  Made sense to me at the time.

Since then I have noticed many places where there are rubbish bins and I see how useless they are.  First ones in are the stray dogs who make a mess to get at any discarded food.  Then the kids are there to grab any plastic or tins they can sell.  Then the homeless come by to see if there is anything they can salvage.  The result is a horrid mess that is quickly strewn around by other dogs, cats, kids, and the wind.  At the end of it all, the rubbish bin is empty.

When I moved out of the last home I was in I put all the trash I had neatly into rubbish bins.  I told my partner I would not give trash away as I don't like to contribute to someone else's 'hoarding' problem.  By the morning the trash cans were spread all over the yard as neighbors had gone through it expecting the foreigner had thrown out good 'stuff'.

Tell me again why my trash should go in a rubbish bin?  :hystery:

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Amazing with the amount of litter scattered everywhere that there is an actual enforcement of anti litter laws in some places. Seaman barred at NAIA over littering case MANILA, Philippines - For not settling his P500 fine
A solution to get funds to the government for roads and such   :)

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

For a long time I couldn't quite understand the littering culture/attitude here since in the home, most Filipinas are neat freaks. Always using the walis pey-pey (soft broom) by triple sweeping the same inside floor area, or outside in the yard or street front, working vigorously on the leaves and litter, etc, with their  walis ting-ting (hard broom). Private property and privately used and semi-claimed public space.

In the 'commons' areas of general public property, it often seems that many areas are considered 'free-fire' zones for conscious free littlering. Not always, but more often than less often. Civic pride does exist in some cities and areas I have visited where the local governments puts out a lot of public trash bins and does heavy propaganda campaigns to use them... Puerto Princessa and Puerto Galera are two that impressed me since they were a few of the exceptions to the general indifference of other places.

Other people's private lots and property, it empty and unmanned,  are often occasionally considered local garbage dumps. Very common here. I could give lots of personal experiences with this over the years, but it suddenly occurred to me the other day that..... maybe these people in this cultue, have a totally different perception of paper litter. Maybe they see all the brightly colored bits of plastic candy wrap, etc. as artificial flowers. It apparently doesn't bother them like it does me. Maybe I need to change my perceptional flilter.

Since then, I happily ride along viewing all the colored bits as decorative mosaic.  LOL

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Puerto Princessa and Puerto Galera

I am guessing these are tourist areas, and it benefits their pocket books to keep things clean. Since there is no incentive to NOT litter. I have noticed this, if something does not have a direct impact on the average Joe, then the attitude is "if it feels good, do it"

Other people's private lots and property, it empty and unmanned, are often occasionally considered local garbage dumps.

Even property that they live in, My brother in law lives in a smallish subdivision, and if there is a vacant lot or even a wide spot in the road, there are old sofas etc.

Always using the walis pey-pey (soft broom) by triple sweeping the same inside floor area, or outside in the yard or street front, working vigorously on the leaves and litter, etc, with their walis ting-ting (hard broom).

Spot on...

For full disclosure, I do remember when the sides of the highway in the states where a mess, litter everywhere. Not old enough to remember if it was civic pride, advertising, adopt a highway or litter enforcement that corrected it. But I do remember picking up cans on the side of the road as a kid for extra money

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
maybe these people in this cultue, have a totally different perception of paper litter. Maybe they see all the brightly colored bits of plastic candy wrap, etc. as artificial flowers.
I don't know if they think like that about wraps, but I know some like to decorate their gardens with glass/plastic bottles   :)

intrepid
Posted
Posted
Raul Samson was apprehended on April 25, 2013 for dropping a cigarette butt at the Metro Rail Transit EDSA-Guadalupe station, according to the MMDA.MMDA senior health program officer Rose Blay said Samson may now be able to leave for Singapore after he showed up at the MMDA office in Makati City on April 6 and paid his penalty.

Only 2 years for settlement of a minor case.  As I have told people in the past, "The wheels of justice turn,...but slowley!"

I agree with others and would hope more enforcement would be done littering.

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

My father was a zoologist. I recall him explaining why tree living animals, including birds and monkeys, cannot he house-trained-. because they live in the tree, not under it...

Excavate the ditches of any Roman road in Britain and you will find soft. white semi-circles a couple of inches in diameter. They are, or were, the shells of native oysters, used by the Romans as a convenience food, because they kept well in the packaging that nature had provided. 

For hundreds, nay thousands, of years, the lowland Filipinos have lived in houses raised off the ground on posts, with floors made of split bamboo. All "packaging" was natural - eggshells, palm leaves, husks. Crumbs dropped through the floor. larger items if not used as fuel for cooking were left to rot down.

In the past forty years, all has changed. packaging is plastic, and non-biodegradable, but people treat it in the old way. 

That's the problem.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Puerto Princessa and Puerto Galera

I am guessing these are tourist areas, and it benefits their pocket books to keep things clean. Since there is no incentive to NOT litter. I have noticed this, if something does not have a direct impact on the average Joe, then the attitude is "if it feels good, do it"

Other people's private lots and property, it empty and unmanned, are often occasionally considered local garbage dumps.

Even property that they live in, My brother in law lives in a smallish subdivision, and if there is a vacant lot or even a wide spot in the road, there are old sofas etc.

Always using the walis pey-pey (soft broom) by triple sweeping the same inside floor area, or outside in the yard or street front, working vigorously on the leaves and litter, etc, with their walis ting-ting (hard broom).

Spot on...

For full disclosure, I do remember when the sides of the highway in the states where a mess, litter everywhere. Not old enough to remember if it was civic pride, advertising, adopt a highway or litter enforcement that corrected it. But I do remember picking up cans on the side of the road as a kid for extra money

When I lived in Cebu city there was a vacant lot  full of rubbish just down the road. One day I saw a few people clearing it up. The next day there was an illegal cock fight there so I suppose it can be cleaned when it suits some people