Do You Personally Know Your Barangay Captain Or Any Of The Councilors?

Larry45
Posted
Posted

I don't personally know any of our barangay officials, and have never felt the need for it.  We try to keep a low profile around here, being casually friendly with the neighbors, but not getting involved in the drama and BS.  In the minute chance that we would need the Captain's help, we have enough connections that he would take us seriously.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I lived in the same place for almost 2 years in Baguio. I knew who the Barangay Captain was but had never spoken to her. There are other foreigners who live in the same barangay but this is not a gated community. Just a nice area of Baguio. At the end of our time there when we were getting ready to move back to the USA we had an issue with another family related to the sale of some of our home furnishings. They brought it to the attention of the Barangay Captain and we received a formal letter requesting our presence at a discussion to try and resolve the matter between us.

I found the Barangay Captain to be very fair. She is an elderly woman who has family in the USA and has visited the US. I agree with the previous statement that she made an effort to always appear impartial. In this case she acted as an arbitrator to help us resolve our dispute. I took a neighbor to act as interpreter if needed. He is a filipino but retired USN and has deep family roots in Benguet Province (where Baguio is). He helped a great deal during the discussion. The other family in the dispute had only lived there as long as I had and were from a province a days drive away.

In the end it became obvious that the Barangay Captain believed my view of what happened and the other family in the dispute were losing the discussion. They then switched their tactics to agree with what I wanted so they could save face. The Barangay Captain could see how "plastic" this other couple was.

I agree with others who have said it really depends on the barangay where you live on whether you befriend locals associated with the Barangay.

Having a good reputation is probably more important in the long run. Or at least not having a bad reputation.

• Like 5

starlet
Posted
Posted

I always pay some of the officals a visit when I'm with my wife in our barangay   

I think it important to socialize with them, and in this way show them respect and recognize their status. I never, ever discuss politicts with them. They are always happy when I come, and we drink a few beer and sing videoke. 

hmm... In a weak moment, I promised to sponsor my fatther-in-law's run for barangay councilor next year , 30.000 php. I'm afraid its all about vote-buying, and its against my principles.  

We'll see if my wife can get me out of this... I can blame it on the Tanduay.

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I think it important to socialize with them, and in this way show them respect and recognize their status. I never, ever discuss politicts with them. They are always happy when I come, and we drink a few beer and sing videoke. 

hmm... In a weak moment, I promised to sponsor my fatther-in-law's run for barangay councilor next year , 30.000 php. I'm afraid its all about vote-buying, and its against my principles.  

You have just illustrated the dangers that I alluded to in the second post on this thread - better than I could hope to have done!

Something tells me that your wife cannot get you out of it, as the beneficiary is her own father...

Smile and pay and make a mental note to set 30K pesos aside for every election from now on...

• Like 3

starlet
Posted
Posted
Something tells me that your wife cannot get you out of it, as the beneficiary is her own father...   Smile and pay and make a mental note to set 30K pesos aside for every election from now on...

hehe... Yes, I probably must. 

Guess I was naive about the barangay-elections in rural Mindanano. I was before in a local election board in a municipality i Norway. So much auditing. And it was secret indeed!

In the barangay elections - at least in my wifes home province - its all about money, 100 %. As low as 20 pesos pr vote. And how do they know you voted "correct"? Utang na loob.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
In the barangay elections

My Brother in Law calls election season new Wardrobe month, that's when all the poor folks get new tee shirts :tiphat:

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I do not know  anyone in local government. I do know a retired PNP officer. WE met at a Bingo Parlor. He has family in the states and we became friends quickly. He asked a lot of personal questions which I gave him a stack of lies until he realised it. He has been helpful for me in doing business with local government agencies. We meet on occasion for lunch at the mall but I refused to go to the Cock Fights with him. My wife said, I would be the only foreigner there and it would not be safe for me.  Enough said. I didn't go.

I do respect authority but I don't always trust them.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

You have just illustrated the dangers that I alluded to in the second post on this thread - better than I could hope to have done!

I suppouse best being acquaintance level friendly,

but NOT friend with political people,

because if the later it's risk their opponents see you as enemy when they winn a later election  :)

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted
I suppouse best being acquaintance level friendly, but NOT friend with political people, because if the later it's risk their opponents see you as enemy when they winn a later election 

If, like Starlet, you have married into a political family, you have no choice; you are part of that dynasty. Just sit back and enjoy it..

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Just sit back and enjoy it..

in your body armor :thumbsup:

• Like 2