Customer Service In Philippines...... An Oxymoron?

expatpaulinmy
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately customer service have been on the decline for the past few years, mostly due to improper/lack of training. Aside from the possibility that graduates these days are not getting proper education since the good mentors have already left the country. I would still vouch for our hospitality though, and the warmness that come with it, but with regards to detail, there is a lot to improve on.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately customer service have been on the decline for the past few years, mostly due to improper/lack of training. Aside from the possibility that graduates these days are not getting proper education since the good mentors have already left the country. I would still vouch for our hospitality though, and the warmness that come with it, but with regards to detail, there is a lot to improve on.

Well.

Some errors wouldn't happen if they just would use common sence inkluding thinking ahead proper,

BUT it isn't odd many employee DON'T BOTHER, because many employers systematicaly kick out GOOD employees too after 6 months, because of a STUPID LAW, which make employers need to PAY LESS by switching!!!  :bash:

• Like 4

expatpaulinmy
Posted
Posted

Well.

Some errors wouldn't happen if they just would use common sence inkluding thinking ahead proper,

BUT it isn't odd many employee DON'T BOTHER, because many employers systematicaly kick out GOOD employees too after 6 months, because of a STUPID LAW, which make employers need to PAY LESS by switching!!!  :bash:

This is so true Thomas! An unfortunate reality that is prevalent in almost all sectors, but many would agree this happens more in government offices. For private sectors, as you've said, they kick the good ones out to hire new ones to pay less however for government sectors, those hired stay there forever and enjoy the luxury of doing mediocre work. So sad that the bottom line is all about making more money at the expense of quality customer service.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

customer service.  

customer service. What?

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Well.

This is so true Thomas! An unfortunate reality that is prevalent in almost all sectors, but many would agree this happens more in government offices. For private sectors, as you've said, they kick the good ones out to hire new ones to pay less however for government sectors, those hired stay there forever and enjoy the luxury of doing mediocre work. So sad that the bottom line is all about making more money at the expense of quality customer service.

Concerning government offices I asume they are bader than the private in "all" expat home countries,

but I find it remarkable many Filipino PRIVATE companies don't understand they better KEEP the good ones and get a GOOD service!!!  :bash:

But that's GOOD for us, who have/will have own companies in Phils, because we have easier to stand out with better service and to find good staff   :)   

(I aim at settling rural and employ people "for ever" if they have good attitude. (It can still be time limited contracts to avoid the risk they will change, but I will tell them if they work good, they have employment "for ever" so they don't need to worry about that. If my company will go on after I retire/die, then can kids to good employees "inherit" their jobs   :)   similar to how it was in good handled big rural companies a very long time ago, when the company more or less took care of people from birth to death as some of my ancestors did.  If I find a small village with good attitude, I will perhaps try to do the same   :)

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I really don't see what all the hullabaloo is about? :unsure:

happens more in government offices

Someone show me a government office that does run with complete efficiency (at least to our expectation while we are waiting for something WE want)

As for the retail establishments, I can speak for other countries, but we just returned from Guam (part of the USA) and visited the Macy's mall there the attendant were all either college students chewing gum, gossiping with their coworkers, or middle age ladies trying to make ends meet. Their attitudes were no where as sunny as those of the young ladies at SM and other places. I admit that having a "sales person" hovering around ALL the time is a bit unnerving but it seems that is the Filipino way. In fact it is better than having a question and having to search half the store for assistance. If the workers are only there for a short period of time? No skin off my nose, after all business is business and the bottom line is just that.

Specialty stores? Like WILCON, ACE, SM Appliance center and places like that. I have rarely had a technical question that was not answered with accurate information. And if the question stumped my helper, he or she went and found someone who did know. These types of places (in my experience) keep the same employees. My personal example is our local WILCON. We got a lot of our building materials there, and have returned over the past three years, and a lot of the same folks work there. My main man in fact was promoted and transferred to another branch.

If I did have a complaint, its not with the service so much as with the customers. I was brought up that if someone greeted you politely upon entering their establishment you returned the greeting. Here customers treat the employees like piece of furniture.

But this is the Philippines and its their culture :cheersty:

• Like 2