No Licences Available

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)

Gee, I really don't understand what the problem is...  You got your licenses, didn't you?

At present, when we initially apply for a Driver's License, the paperwork has to go in to the head office as the information obtained goes not only to LTO but to another government department (which one I don't remember at the moment, I'll look it up later).  I read about this last summer on (I believe) the LTO site while looking up some information regarding changing licenses over once I arrived... Unfortunately, the databases for the 2 departments are not tied together at this time though they are in the process of changing it.  Once this is done, the licenses can be and will be completed on site.  In the meantime, simple corrections can be accomplished onsite if they have a machine available.

:mocking:  :tiphat:

Well I got my license, but I was told by the lovely young lady at LTO that the paper license is only temporary and from memory was told it is only good for a month, so in reality I am driving unlicensed. They have all the equipment there to print the plastic license, unfortunately they have no plastic. I have found here that what is written on there website and what actually happens are worlds apart.

Edited by frosty (chris)

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)

Having a US DL I was able to obtain a plastic Philippines DL in less than an hour at LTO in Baguio October 2013.  Cost was around 720 pesos.

Edited by earthdome

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Having a US DL I was able to obtain a plastic Philippines DL in less than an hour at LTO in Baguio October 2013.  Cost was around 720 pesos.

This is one of the confusing ones....  After talking to several expats about getting their license transferred over, some said they had to wait and others said it was done on the spot...  I don't think the LTO personnel are sure how to do it either...!

:mocking:  :rolleyes:

deevey
Posted
Posted

In my case it was a renewal I've had my license for over 2 years - and in Manila, and there is no plastic.

I didn't have any problems converting my foreign license to a Filipino one - 2013 was before the plastic license shortage anyhow (Nov 2014)

Well I got my license, but I was told by the lovely young lady at LTO that the paper license is only temporary and from memory was told it is only good for a month, so in reality I am driving unlicensed. They have all the equipment there to print the plastic license, unfortunately they have no plastic. I have found here that what is written on there website and what actually happens are worlds apart.

The LTO commissioner has stated that the Paper licenses are valid for the same duration as the plastic license regardless of what date is printed on the paper so you should be legal. 

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2015/03/24/1436895/still-no-drivers-license-cards-lto-eases-rules

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
The LTO commissioner has stated that the Paper licenses are valid for the same duration as the plastic license regardless of what date is printed on the paper so you should be legal. 

Last year I was given a paper license.  A month later I got my plastic license but they did not take the paper license back.  I keep that paper license with my OR and CR on my motorcycle in case I am out and about without my plastic license.  Some cops here are anal about having all your paperwork with you.  Last check I got stopped at (Dumaguete) they did not give a crap about helmets, clothing, brakes, muffler, mirrors. But they were not letting me out of there until I showed them the right papers (OR CR and DL).  I did not try to show them the paper with 1,000 printed on it because I a cheap  :hystery:

Edited by Dave Hounddriver