Anyone Else Experienced Greentop Marketing ?

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted (edited)

For those of you that have not yet discovered Greentop Marketing ( or Them finding you ) BEWARE !!

When me and the little woman arrived here in 2011 it wasent long before we decided to get an Internet

connection , soon the wife got a phone call saying she had been picked to receive a special prize of a 

Haolgen oven !! off we goes to Olivarez Plaza and faced a barrage of ooohs and aaahs as we won this and we won that !!

one of the girls goes into the back room then comes out so happy as the manager has decided  we have won a super prize !! but we had to buy something worth 10,000 pesos to qualify !

Again the girl goes into the back office and tells my wife that if she buys something within the next 5 mins

she will get the Halogen oven ( which I thought we had already won !! )

this is where I started to ask questions but then they suddenly couldnt speak english !!

I nodded to the wife for us to go , and thats when they opened " The Envelope " and the wife had just won another prize ! lots of screaming and shouting then !!

I again nodded to the wife for us to leave then out came the halogen oven and a foot spa which was ours if we

spent 10,000 pesos on something else. luckily we did not  bring our credit card with us ! and we said we would come back the next day !

it was then two of them convinced the wife " ok we can bring our debit M/C to your home also the halogen oven and foot spa and the item of value 10.000 pesos ! "

It was at this point that the Sister-in-law turned up ! and told the wife it was all a scam !

As they had also conned one of her co-teachers the same way !

we were saved by the bell !! well the mother phoning the sister-in-law !!

we went to Olivarez Plaza again this morning they are still trading the same way and doing their daily dancing routine before going out handing out " prizes " to people.

so to those of you who have not experienced Greentop YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !

Edited by expatuk2014
  • Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted

Common practice over the last 10 years in malls and offshoot malls. It will die down for awhile and resurface in another area, especially targetting foreigners or Filipina's with foreigner husband.

Way back in 2007, my then gf kept opening those envelopes and they kept piling up the prizes, like a TV game show. They had about 150k worth of prizes stacked up, all off brands made in China. It would cost me 70k said "The Boss"

My gf took some convincing so I went item by item, TV, blenders, small kitchen appliances mostly. The most  I could tally up was about 30k.

Cruel scam, the girl was highly disappointed.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Foot spa is a plastic hot water bottle with dimples on it, possible battery operated vibrating case, worth 500 pesos at a stretch.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

very good information expat. People remember there is no such thing as a free meal anything giving away something for nothing is almost 100% likely to be a scam especially when there has to be a purchase first.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Any sort of that high pressure marketing is given a wide birth by me.

• Like 1