I'm Thinking Between Cebu And Duma?

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

First time here but been to a few dozen countries over the years, the last being a couple months in Guatemala the beginning of this year. As a veteran I first thought about Clark (obvious right?), the more I read the better Cebu sounded, and then Dumaguete. I'm still guessing though and would appreciate suggestions. My priority list (copy/pasted from my introduction post) with added detail is:

1)Not cold

2)affordable - I prefer to keep everything to $1000/mo but $1500/mo is fine if I have to.

3)simple/not hectic city life... - a town is fine, it is the busy busy hectic traffic pollution city life I'm not interested in.

4)...but still have a/c, flush toilet, hot shower, internet access - those are the parts of "western style" that is important to me

5)safe to walk to eat, preferably also for exercise (5 miles) and to a beach - I like to walk about 5 miles a day for exercise and prefer to walk a couple minutes to restaurant/grocery instead of taking other transportation, instead of beach I suppose oceanfront is more my meaning, the ability to sit on my porch and see the ocean would be perfect 

6)attractive single women from which to find quality, not quantity

7)active expat/veteran community 

This is getting long so I will clarify more as needed and change as suggestions dictate.

Steve

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

"Not cold" is not going to be an issue.

A budget that small may work for you depending on your lifestyle.

Living out in the countryside "the Provenances" for the most part will be quiet cleaner and cheaper.

Renting a simple place in da Provenances you may be required to buy an AC unit and an on demand electric water unit.

Near or on a beach and the ability to walk is doable if out in the countryside. 

Active vet and Expat community is not likely.

There is no location that I know of that is lacking nice attractive single ladies.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum. I am in the same stage as your looking for the place to settle with my gf in a year or
two, currently living in Thailand.
I have been to Cebu but not Dumaguette. I found Cebu City far too congested and polluted.of course there
are other areas there not so busy, other members may be of help there.
I have a wonderful Filipino gf (we are in Phils at the moment) but you need to do your homework as I am sure you
will, otherwise you will end up very burned if you find the wrong one.
From what I have learned about Dumaguette, the city itself is like all in the Philippines, crowded and polluted but
venture beyond the inner city and you can find some nice areas. Plenty of western expats there. Good luck.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

"Not cold" is not going to be an issue.

A budget that small may work for you depending on your lifestyle.

Living out in the countryside "the Provenances" for the most part will be quiet cleaner and cheaper.

Renting a simple place in da Provenances you may be required to buy an AC unit and an on demand electric water unit.

Near or on a beach and the ability to walk is doable if out in the countryside. 

Active vet and Expat community is not likely.

There is no location that I know of that is lacking nice attractive single ladies.

Quite true old55, have just had two weeks going to Laoag, Vigan, San Fernando Pangasinan. Our purpose was tw0

fold, gf to see parents and both of us to assess areas we may like to retire to. Of all of them only Laoag had

any interests.

We found it to be anything but cheaper, high accommodation costs, very poor hotel standards. Food costs similar

or higher than Manila (not that I would ever consider living there). In all very disappointed but reality is, it is

a third world country and they are obviously struggling to provide adequate infrastructure and facilities.

Mot of the other things the new member is seeking can be found with some due diligece, but I suspect from his

list of expectations, he will neeed to stay with either of his choices.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Been to both.  Of those two cities, Dumaguete is by far the better choice based on the criteria listed.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Davao is another option for you.  It's not as expensive as other big cities in the Philippines (Davao is the largest city by area in the Philippines as well as the 4th most populated) and, once you get out a bit, there is lots of open land.  Water frontage is not that easy though.  You may find something for rent there but you will need to travel the coast daily and watch for signs - or get to know somebody who lives along the coast...  Or move across the bay to the Island Garden City of Samal.  It's just a short ferry ride.  As for safety and walking?  I do the same - getting anywhere from 2 to 20 kilometers a day (sorry - this is a metric country!  hehe!)  Not only is Davao known as the safest city in the country, it was also recently recognized as the 4th safest city in the world.  Not bad for being on Mindanao, the land of "No Travel Zone" for most foreign embassies...  The only thing I"m not sure about is the active Expat community...  I know of a couple bars but other than that, it's pretty well nod as you pass and then go back to looking at all the amazing women!

:tiphat:  :mocking:

• Like 4

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the responses so far, my list of 7 items is actually describing how I picked Philippines to start with. As far as where to go, #1 is redundant and #7 is at the bottom because it is least important. Many people would describe how I like to like as boring. I'm not on vacation and don't need to be "doing something" every minute, don't go clubbing or drink much either, and definitely don't go shopping at "the mall" which together reduces my budget greatly.

Sounds like the outskirts of Duma might be worth a look as well as Davao. I have also read some interesting comments about Argao and Dalaguete if anyone can comment on those? Is walking 5 miles oops (lol) 8 klicks a day an issue I need to be including in searches or is that doable about anywhere? 

Steve

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the responses so far, my list of 7 items is actually describing how I picked Philippines to start with. As far as where to go, #1 is redundant and #7 is at the bottom because it is least important. Many people would describe how I like to like as boring. I'm not on vacation and don't need to be "doing something" every minute, don't go clubbing or drink much either, and definitely don't go shopping at "the mall" which together reduces my budget greatly.

Sounds like the outskirts of Duma might be worth a look as well as Davao. I have also read some interesting comments about Argao and Dalaguete if anyone can comment on those? Is walking 5 miles oops (lol) 8 klicks a day an issue I need to be including in searches or is that doable about anywhere? 

Steve

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum, I think you will find all you are looking for unfortunately not all in the same place, my suggestion would be, come here and spend some time in each place, it won't take you long to figure out if it's the place you are looking for. Most guys come here and move around to find the place that suits them. I am happy where I am, has most of the things you asked for but lousy beaches. Good luck in the future, have fun.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

First time here but been to a few dozen countries over the years, the last being a couple months in Guatemala the beginning of this year. As a veteran I first thought about Clark (obvious right?), the more I read the better Cebu sounded, and then Dumaguete. I'm still guessing though and would appreciate suggestions. My priority list (copy/pasted from my introduction post) with added detail is:

1)Not cold

2)affordable - I prefer to keep everything to $1000/mo but $1500/mo is fine if I have to.

3)simple/not hectic city life... - a town is fine, it is the busy busy hectic traffic pollution city life I'm not interested in.

4)...but still have a/c, flush toilet, hot shower, internet access - those are the parts of "western style" that is important to me

5)safe to walk to eat, preferably also for exercise (5 miles) and to a beach - I like to walk about 5 miles a day for exercise and prefer to walk a couple minutes to restaurant/grocery instead of taking other transportation, instead of beach I suppose oceanfront is more my meaning, the ability to sit on my porch and see the ocean would be perfect 

6)attractive single women from which to find quality, not quantity

7)active expat/veteran community 

This is getting long so I will clarify more as needed and change as suggestions dictate.

Steve

Hi again Steve, have just been with Mogo here up north and endorse his comments.

Keep in mind a lot of us live free on family land or houses we have built, so accom, in your case will bump up the price.  I reckon 1000 US/Dollars wont do it. 1500, should cover everything, with female company and food, i think it would fit, Without company, it's no fun, and the enjoyment drops, You could be lonely back in the USA.  :lol: , who wants that.

The provences are quite safe, but you must know your way. A 5 mile/8km walk should be excellent and I'm sure you will meet people along the way.

And you will update your immigration if you stay. 1500 covers all but you will need all of that, unless you need to scale down later. 

Edited by chris49
  • Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Dalaguete and Argao Are pretty much the same both nice quiet places. I think Dalaguete has more beach front. Either place is not too far from Carcar if you need to go to a better shopping place. Dalaguetes gym is a little bigger than Argao.Any way good luck 

• Like 1