I'm Thinking Between Cebu And Duma?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
hectic traffic pollution city life I'm not interested in.

Both Duma and Cebu have hectic traffic and pollution.  In both cases that can be alleviated by staying away from the city core.

attractive single women from which to find quality

I've lived in both Cebu and Duma, on the budget you mention, and you can find what you are looking for in either (with the exception of pollution free city life which I think impossible here).  The single women are everywhere, but the ratio of single women to single foreigner in the area will affect your choices.  Both Duma and Cebu have high numbers of foreigners per single women so if you like the competition you will be fine.  If not, then try more provincial areas.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

I have spent some years in both Cebu and Dumaguete and can assure you neither meet your criteria at all.

As much as I love the area around Busay close to Cebu one must come down to a dirty congested polluted city.

Perhaps worth considering would be Valencia, a short run to Dumaguete which is also congested but doable far more so than Cebu. My friend lives there and I often visit, it's cool, and many lovely hikes if that hits a nerves. He loves it and seems will never leave. He also lived in Cebu and Dumaguete.

• Like 2

Wrye83
Posted
Posted
Sounds like the outskirts of Duma might be worth a look as well as Davao.

I live in Valencia, which is about 15 minutes up the mountain from Dumaguete. Much cooler (but never cold) at night and the rent/living is a bit cheaper than in the city. You could pull it off with 1-1.5k USD a month, though things would be tight at times.

Cebu is a large, congested and hot city. It's nice to visit but I would personally not care to live there. You will be hard pressed to live there for anything less than 2k USD a month, it is possible but it's not a life I would want to live. Rent in Cebu will be significantly higher than Dumaguete or its surrounding towns. The benefits of living in Cebu would be the selection of nightlife, shopping and restaurants....which will put you over your 1.5k USD budget very quickly. 

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
The benefits of living in Cebu would be the selection of nightlife, shopping and restaurants....which will put you over your 1.5k USD budget very quickly. 

This reminds me of two very good friends who were living in Cebu on $US 1,000 a month.  One of them said it could not be done and is now back to driving a truck in the US.  The other thrived.  So it can be done, but can it be done by the original poster?  Only he will know.

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted

The benefits of living in Cebu would be the selection of nightlife, shopping and restaurants....which will put you over your 1.5k USD budget very quickly. 

This reminds me of two very good friends who were living in Cebu on $US 1,000 a month.  One of them said it could not be done and is now back to driving a truck in the US.  The other thrived.  So it can be done, but can it be done by the original poster?  Only he will know.

Good point Dave, Wyre, both of you.

Steve the OP, is a newcomer. If he is clever to live on 1k,,,,,he should have the 500 standby, so many things can happen.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have heard good things about Duma from guys living there.  I have never been.  Cebu has lots of conveniences but also tons of traffic and pollution.  But some friends that live outside the city like it.

I am in Iloilo.  Never heard of it but "she" is from there... so now so am I...  I spent 1 year living on the outskirts of the city and spent very little money.  the last year I moved into the city proper.  I enjoy it more but spend way too much money.  So we are thinking about building a small place on her uncle's property outside the city (about 1 hr jeepney ride). 

Every place I have seen is very much like everywhere else here.  The cities all look alike, the outskirts all look alike, and the provinces too.  So just travel around a bit and see what strikes your fancy.  I picked my wife and inherited a location.  I would recommend finding your location first... our beaches suck! 

Budget gets debated all the time... no one can tell anyone how much they need.  But for reference I was spending $800 a month pretty well outside of town.  Here in the city I was spending between $1,000 and $1,200. (but that was a bamboo/nipa no aircon and now I am in a brick oven with aircon, and walking distance to the mall) 

I gave my wife control over the money a few months ago and we are doing better.  She tells herself "no" better than I do ha ha  :tiphat: 

• Like 5

earthdome
Posted
Posted

You might look at a few places on the west coast of Luzon. Subic Bay/Olongapo (former US Navy Base) might meet your requirements. Further up the coast is Bauang, La Union where there are enough veterans to support VFW post 9892 which has a good Mexican restaurant.

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I live in Valencia, which is about 15 minutes up the mountain from Dumaguete. Much cooler (but never cold) at night and the rent/living is a bit cheaper than in the city. You could pull it off with 1-1.5k USD a month, though things would be tight at times.

Cebu is a large, congested and hot city. It's nice to visit but I would personally not care to live there. You will be hard pressed to live there for anything less than 2k USD a month, it is possible but it's not a life I would want to live. Rent in Cebu will be significantly higher than Dumaguete or its surrounding towns. The benefits of living in Cebu would be the selection of nightlife, shopping and restaurants....which will put you over your 1.5k USD budget very quickly. 

Valencia sounds interesting. Does the power station around the corner lower/eliminate brownouts? Is cable/internet improved also due to the increased power line infrastructure? How hard is it to find flush toilet, hot shower, a/c in bedroom with view of the ocean staying under $1000 for rent/food (not counting alcohol, vehicle transportation, visa runs, and other activities)? What do you mean by "tight at times"?

Steve

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Steve, finding an Ocean view rental with aircon in the bedroom hot shower and flush toilet impossible. A smaller city or town will have fewer rentals available. That said the chances are lower that you will find exactly what you want when you want it are lower. You may need to be flexible. It could be you would find a nice little place at a good price with the view but no aircon or no hot water. Most places have flush toilet. You may need to have a on demand hot water installed. They are not silly expensive and you can take it or sell it if and when you move. Same with the aircon.

Budget. You could live most anyplace in Philippines for under $500.00. It would be a very simple basic life. Only you know what type of life you wish to live. Please read what others have shared with you. One Expat could enjoy life with a budget of a thousand a month and some here do so by choice or by necessity. Others would and do require more some much more. 

There is not simple exact answer. It would be best if you were to visit for a month or more before you move. 

Philippines is a wonderful place hope you will share with us your experiences. 

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Valencia sounds interesting. Does the power station around the corner lower/eliminate brownouts? Is cable/internet improved also due to the increased power line infrastructure? How hard is it to find flush toilet, hot shower, a/c in bedroom with view of the ocean staying under $1000 for rent/food (not counting alcohol, vehicle transportation, visa runs, and other activities)? What do you mean by "tight at times"?

Steve

Cannot be done. Hot shower is a total luxury, plenty of us go with cold and sometimes it comes out warmish.

"View of the ocean", this is not So Cal or Monterey. We live 3km inland with a mountain view, close to both. 

"All other activities, visa runs" Why? You can purchase your first 6 months at the airport, proceed after that.

Alcohol. Yes, very cheap. Drinking alone or in a bar? With company? The cost will escalate.

Air con? In the province? What about the electric bill? We pay 400-500 pesos/month. Friend of mine runs AC 24 hours in condo, that's 10,000/month electricity bill.

Food. Who will cook? Eat alone, or with company? 500/day average out over a month, let's say 400=12,000/-pesos a month.

How about running a mobile phone and the cost? Internet? Cable TV?

Other activities you mention, What about transportation.

Rent.

• Like 1