4 Lane Highways

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I have found that driving in the Philippines results in spontaneous order out of chaos most of the time.

There are a whole lot of different unwritten rules for driving in the Philippines that seem the complete opposite of what westerners are accustomed to.

Once you have a feel for these unwritten rules and abandon the strict rules of the west driving becomes easier.

• Like 4

deevey
Posted
Posted

In the Phils a 4 lane road is really just a 2 lane road

And a 2 lane road can easily be a 5 lane road and single lane u-turn slot can easily accommodate 5 lanes on a 2 lane road during rush hour while traffic enforcers look on and do nothing. 

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

C'mon, Toto, this ain't Kansas anymore! We all have to think like a Filipino if we want to live here stress-free! Slower vehicles take the left lane because of all the interruptions in the right lane... Parked or broken down vehicle, construction, missing road surface, etc. Usually large trucks wear out much faster from braking, multiple slowing and acceleration - or it takes then forever to get back to speed of they get caught in the right lane... And buses end up with no brakes after a while... So they stay in the left lane and you are expected to pass then on the right. This is especially important when driving through the mountains! Getting stuck behind a truck as he tries to get back up to speed while going up hill... Or driving like heck to keep the brakeless bus from hitting you while going down hill!!! Makes sense to me!!!

:D

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
We all have to think like a Filipino

And if your two lanes are blocked with slow movers but no one is using the oncoming lane they you are free to use it.  And when the entire roadway is filled with people going in one direction then people coming toward you in their correct lane have to get out of the way because other people were there first and if that slows the traffic to a standstill its ok because as soon as the blockage clears then people will go like heII again to be the first to the next blockage.   But its not really a big deal to be the first in line because every motorcycle will go past you and get in your way, even the slowest moving ones who like to cut you off and slow down the traffic flow.

If this frustrates you, don't drive here.  If you find it humorous then just smile at the other drivers and everyone will have a great day.  If some days you find it humorous and some days it frustrates you then take the long winding back roads on the frustrating days, there usually is a back way that takes twice as long but is a more relaxing ride.

RBM
Posted
Posted

Nice input thanks guys.

Still wondering why, we just drove the strip mentioned in my first post. Again little traffic how ever all were hugging the center line slow and fast. 

There must be some reasoning behind this, I mean 4 lanes, wide open and little to no traffic....why hug the center line when crawling at 20KMs.... Guess we are all missing something.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
If this frustrates you, don't drive here.  If you find it humorous then just smile at the other drivers and everyone will have a great day.  If some days you find it humorous and some days it frustrates you then take the long winding back roads on the frustrating days, there usually is a back way that takes twice as long but is a more relaxing ride.

Yes but watch out for the rice drying....

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Yes but watch out for the rice drying....

Related to this topic but also the recent topic on rice drying, I saw something I liked up north over the weekend.  Some where south of Vigan, off to the side of the highway, there was what appeared to be a dedicated concrete area built to dry rice.  It even had light posts and was very large.  Nice to see someone thinking out of the box!

We had a nice drive from Baguio to Vigan and back.  Not much traffic and a nice road.  There was the occasional trike cruising in the middle at a blistering 10-20 kph, but not many.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
there was what appeared to be a dedicated concrete area built to dry rice.  

Probably a basketball court  :hystery:  :hystery:  :hystery:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

there was what appeared to be a dedicated concrete area built to dry rice.  

Probably a basketball court  :hystery:  :hystery:  :hystery:

Actually now that you mention it we saw that too!  Rice drying on the court.  This was different.  It was a large concrete area (probably 10 full court basketball sized) and I did not see any markings on it.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Actually now that you mention it we saw that too!  Rice drying on the court.  This was different.  It was a large concrete area (probably 10 full court basketball sized) and I did not see any markings on it.

It was the airport.  :no:

• Like 1