Manila - Streets Are Toilets .

mogo51
Posted
Posted (edited)

We leave today (Tuesday) after 3 weeks in Phils, mainly North Luzon. The purpose was

to assess areas along the coast as possible retirement locations.

We started and finished in Manila. I have never been a fan of big cities and find Manila

no exception. Having been here a couple of times previously for short stays, nothing much

has changed.

The one obnoxious thing that I found was the constant urine smells as you walk about, particuarly

near expressways. It seems Filipinos (probably mainly men) think they are a public toilets.

The stench often takes your breath away. I dont know what the answer is but the authorities

must address this problem.

I doubt North Luzon will be the solution to the retirement quandary. We did spend the

final4 days in Angeles and possibly out from there such as Clarkville and Subic areas

may be possible.

Next trip will be to Dumaguette. I am anxious to look at that possibility.

I like mid sized cities with decent infra strucutre, close to beaches and this seems to fit.

.Oops meant toilets of course

Edited by mogo51

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

It seems Filipinos (probably mainly men) think they are a public toilets.

Mogo, as you extend your adventures further into the provinces you will find anywhere is a public W/C and it is not just the men.

it took me some time to come to terms with this but you have too or you would go crazy.

After Lunchtime here in the outlaying Areas of Dumaguete, it is not unheard of  for the trike Driver to stop for his relief and then say

(What I can suggest is) Anyone else while we are here.  :rolleyes:  Seems Public P.......g in the Philippines is a pastime.

JP  :tiphat:

Morning all  :morning1:

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

It seems Filipinos (probably mainly men) think they are a public toilets.

Mogo, as you extend your adventures further into the provinces you will find anywhere is a public W/C and it is not just the men.

it took me some time to come to terms with this but you have too or you would go crazy.

After Lunchtime here in the outlaying Areas of Dumaguete, it is not unheard of  for the trike Driver to stop for his relief and then say

(What I can suggest is) Anyone else while we are here.  :rolleyes:  Seems Public P.......g in the Philippines is a pastime.

JP  :tiphat:

Morning all  :morning1:

The Series buses over here will stop for a p break. Down by the seafront is a cubicle for urinating. A few weeks ago I saw a man pissing less than 10 feet away from it. Mind you on the cubicle there is a sign that says " We are watching you"so maybe he was afraid to use the cubicle in case there were cameras inside.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

The ones that bother me are the old men who are walking with their grandkids?? and stop for a pee while the youngsters stare.  I am not sure if they are teaching the youngsters that this is what they do here or if they get off on having the kids watch or if they do not think about it at all.  It does not happen every day but at least once a month I will see this kind of thing.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

The other thing that the OP may find Odd or at least will notice at some stage is that many houses do not have adequate C/R's if one at all so in the out lying areas where else should they go but a tree, a wall, and as we have said on a number of Topics and posts, Public Conveniences were just never though t of when building these City's so medieval times remain, Needs must so?............

JMHO

JP :tiphat:  

mogo51
Posted
Posted (edited)

thanks Jack and others for the interesting comments. I am far from a prude and I know I am in a 3rd world

country. Much of the blame is due to lack of public toilets. I was down the beach area in Laoag and found one of these 'toilets' that consisted of a couple of walls, a makeshift floor and a point in the corner where it flows into the sand.

Very scientific. It was more to the view that it is damaging their tourist potential as what I experienced last

night was not far off the 'tourist route'.

Edited by mogo51

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I was walking by my neighbors the other day and spotted their young son straddling a newspaper on the ground on top of which was an impressive pile of poo. I assumed it was dog poo quite an impressive pile. Told my wife, and low and behold they were potty training the young man.

I am in a 3rd world country.
You got that right lololol
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Boils down to if you have to go, you have to go. Obvious public toilets are rare and getting to a mall in time won't do. Business dont want just anyone coming off the street to use their facilities so unless a heap of cash lands in the local council with instructions to build public toilets then alleyways,fences or trees will always be an area of relief. Most Filipinos probably have no issue with it as thats how its done so until they have an issue then nothing will change.

I see the same thing here in Aus where workers will pee between the truck wheels or where they can not be seen so its not entirely a Filipino thing.

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Save your whining. We who have been here longer than 3 weeks have seen the good along with the bad. If you don't like what you see or smell  then don't return here. Not much will have changed. Save your whining for someone who cares. 

So, if you're going to complain don't bother to return. We have seen it all before you.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Save your whining. We who have been here longer than 3 weeks have seen the good along with the bad. If you don't like what you see or smell  then don't return here. Not much will have changed. Save your whining for someone who cares. 

So, if you're going to complain don't bother to return. We have seen it all before you.

Gratefuled, I find this a bit harsh.  We all like to complain about some things and this forum is a good place to do it, hopefully in a constructive and lighthearted way.  It makes no difference if he is here for 3 weeks or 3 years.

• Like 4