Looking For Advice For Single Mum Hoping To Settle Somewhere In The Philippines Please.

Posted

Hello Everyone!

I am a single Mother of two teenage kids and am looking for advice on where would be the safest place for my family and I to settle. I am hoping to open an African restaurant and need to be in a place where International high schools are relatively easy to get to and where accomodation is less expensive than other Asian countries.

I was born in Zimbabwe and my kids and I are German citizens. We are currently based in Bali, Indonesia and are looking to relocate elsewhere. I would really appreciate advice on safety issues and what problems one might come across when setting up a business in The Philippines. Thank-You so much for your attention and I look forward to your replies!

Many kind regards,

Viona

• Like 1

Posted

Welcome

I moved your topic as you have many questions rather than an introduction.   :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Posted

Welcome Viona. As far as we know there are international schools in Manila and Cebu City. THose are the two largest city's in Philippines. The schools are expensive the cities crowded polluted and can also be expensive. As a Foreigner it is difficult to own a business  the government wants its own citizens to own businesses not Foreigners. Having said that there are many fine successful international restaurants in both cities.

Petty crime is an issue always being a business owner can also be hazardous especially if you compete with a local. In all cases I think a Filipino must own 60% of your business. THis also can be a dangerous thing murders have happened in order for the "partner" to take all.

• Forum Support
Posted

Welcome Viona,,,and good luck to you not matter what you decide.

I can't really speak to much about running a business here other than what has been said, but I can speak to the Filipino as a diner. Filipinos live for food, eating is a major social activity here, having said that, the average Filipino is very, very conservative, they really are not known to sample different cuisine, especially if it is very spicy. I believe you would need to target those Filipinos who are a bit more sophisticated (and wealthy lol), have traveled a bit and tasted a bit of international food. Here in Manila that would most likely be the Makati area, or maybe Alabang hills. But my money would be in the Makati area. Also most of the better schools are there.

I'll let others talk about Cebu City since I have never been there.

Good luck to you

Posted
what problems one might come across when setting up a business in The Philippines.
  They are many. (But I plan to start myself anyway  :mocking:

For instance the Registration is much work.

BUT PERHAPS your business can fullfil the demands to be approved as a BMBE. Check with the barangay office where you will think of starting the business. IF so the registration is much simpler and there are other benefits too.

You need WORK PERMIT, but I suppouse you will be approved because of your special cooking knowledge.  

In all cases I think a Filipino must own 60% of your business.
Yes, for most types,

but not "export business"  (=Minimum 60 % exported.) They can be 100 % foreign own. Call Centers are counted as such too. 

I'm not interested in starting any such, I haven't checked, if any TOURIST BUSINESS can be counted as "export business" too.

• Like 1

Posted

Hello Everyone!

I am a single Mother of two teenage kids and am looking for advice on where would be the safest place for my family and I to settle. I am hoping to open an African restaurant and need to be in a place where International high schools are relatively easy to get to and where accomodation is less expensive than other Asian countries.

I was born in Zimbabwe and my kids and I are German citizens. We are currently based in Bali, Indonesia and are looking to relocate elsewhere. I would really appreciate advice on safety issues and what problems one might come across when setting up a business in The Philippines. Thank-You so much for your attention and I look forward to your replies!

Many kind regards,

Viona

Dilliman area of Quezon City, home of UP and many higher level high schools, However International schools are more in Taguig, Fort Bonifacio, Makati.

However in that respect this will not be cheap, with high level; schooling, housing, etc... $3000 US per month, If you go to a cheaper area you will not be near those schools, Dilliman Prep, Claret International, Ateneo H,S, are 3 examples.

Setting up a business as you say. I have a hard way of telling you no, let someone else answer.

Go to Colombo, Sri Lanka, and go to the CIS, Colombo, International School or the British School of Colombo. That's what I did and it will be 50% cheaper all around.

• Like 1

Posted
I am hoping to open an African restaurant and need to be in a place where International high schools are relatively easy to get to and where accommodation is less expensive than other Asian countries.

Personally I don't think African food will hit it off in the Philippines. Also accommodation being less expensive might really be a problem to suit what you want to do and the cost of international schools will be rather high in my opinion. 

As Scott said, maybe you can make an African restaurant work in high class places like Makati but the cost of living and doing business there will be higher such as rents, safety there should be fine but certainly a lot of homework to be done on this venture.   :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Posted

I am hoping to open an African restaurant and need to be in a place where International high schools are relatively easy to get to and where accommodation is less expensive than other Asian countries.

Personally I don't think African food will hit it off in the Philippines. Also accommodation being less expensive might really be a problem to suit what you want to do and the cost of international schools will be rather high in my opinion. 

As Scott said, maybe you can make an African restaurant work in high class places like Makati but the cost of living and doing business there will be higher such as rents, safety there should be fine but certainly a lot of homework to be done on this venture.   :thumbsup:

Good JGF. I Iike the hard hitting direct style, which gets me in trouble sometimes.

Some of these people have never even been to the Philippines, and you would think a preliminary visit would be the first step.

Posted

Thanks so much for all the advice given! I really appreciate your points of view as visiting a new destination for the first time is often not quite what it seems. Those who have lived there longer have a better understanding of the environment. 

Sri Lanka eh?.... Hmmmm... Never been there before. Chris, Please let me know what you think of Colombo, if you don't mind. Thanks again!

Kind regards

Viona

• Like 1

Posted

Two years ago there was an African restaurant at Park Mall in Cebu. When I went to Park Mall again 13 months later that restaurant was gone.