Death Announcement , Oops Sorry Wrong

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Hows that,death announced before it happened.  :no:

Philippine newspapers get it wrong on Mary Jane Veloso execution

Several Philippine newspapers were caught out on Wednesday by the last-minute execution reprieve for Mary Jane Veloso, running front-page headlines bidding her farewell and accusing the government of failing to save her.

"Death came before dawn" read the Philippine Daily Inquirer's dramatic headline, above a large photograph of Veloso, 30, whose plight has captivated the nation.

Manila's best-selling Filipino-language tabloid, Abante, ran a black-themed front page together with a picture of Veloso, head bowed, and a headline in capitals that translates as: "Farewell, Mary Jane".

Indonesia defied global anger to execute eight drug smugglers by firing squad early on Wednesday, but spared Veloso at the 11th hour in a decision her ecstatic family welcomed as a "miracle".

Veloso had always claimed an international trafficking gang tricked her into bringing 2.6kg of heroin to Indonesia from Malaysia five years ago as she chased a nonexistent job as a domestic worker.
The Indonesian president, Joko Widodo, granted the reprieve after Cristina Sergio, suspected of recruiting Veloso, turned herself in to authorities in the Philippines.

However, the news of the cancelled midnight execution came too late for most Filipino newspapers rushing to put out their final print editions.

"PNOY is to blame" the tabloid Standard's headline read, referring to criticism over the supposed "negligence" of the government of Benigno Aquino, using media shorthand for his nickname, president Noynoy.

post-1-0-28507100-1430384781_thumb.jpg

"All hopes fade" was the Manila Times' headline, and the Manila Bulletin reflected the drama across three editions with the evolving headlines "We're hoping for a miracle", "No delay in execution" and, finally, "Veloso granted reprieve".

The erroneous print-edition headlines swiftly became fodder for ridicule; the online news site Coconuts Media ran an item chiding the media for "killing" Veloso.

One Facebook user posted a composite picture of the front page snafu together with one of the US president-elect Harry Truman holding a copy of the famous Chicago Tribune headline "Dewey defeats Truman".

"Proof that journalism hasn't really changed much in the past six decades," the caption read.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Journalism hasn't really changed much in the past six decades

I suggest it has changed for the worse.  Too much sensationalism in a rush to be the first to bring bad news.  Similar to tabloids in Canada and Britain (owned by the same guy, Rupert Murdoch, I think)

• Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Murdoch only has two papers in England now, The Times, a broadsheet and the The Sun, a tabloid more fitting for the outside toilet.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Note the owners of the newspapers. I could name 2 but I won't.

And link that to the "PNOY to blame" inclusion.  A clear attempt to implicate PNOY,with an election coming up.

Same with Hilary Clinton, the right wing US media has her and Obama blamed for the Benghazi bombings, as if they themselves participated in the attack

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Chris didn't realize that Pnoy could run.

​Of course Hilly didn't order the attacks on the men in Benghazi, as she said it doesn't matter that Americans were murdered/ 

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)

OOPS !

Edited by Gratefuled
  • Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Big OOPS,  I meant,

Those who don't read the newspaper are uninformed.

Those who do read the newspaper are misinformed.  

( Mark Twain, again, I think )

• Like 4

chris49
Posted
Posted

Chris didn't realize that Pnoy could run.

​Of course Hilly didn't order the attacks on the men in Benghazi, as she said it doesn't matter that Americans were murdered/ 

PNOY no...the Party either Binay, Mar Roxas or Sonny Belmonte.

She said it would not have made any difference...

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted
Same with Hilary Clinton, the right wing US media has her and Obama blamed for the Benghazi bombings, as if they themselves participated in the attack

No one ever said SHE did it ..... what is being said is they (Hillary & Obama) didn't send help when they were warned it was going to happen and while it was happening .... 3 contractors who were right down the street testified that they were told to "stand down" when they got word that the Embassy was going to be attacked and then again when it was attacked .... they ignored orders and went anyway but it was to late .... and I will just leave it at that as this is not a US political topic ....

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

No one ever said SHE did it ..... what is being said is they (Hillary & Obama) didn't send help when they were warned it was going to happen and while it was happening .... 3 contractors who were right down the street testified that they were told to "stand down" when they got word that the Embassy was going to be attacked and then again when it was attacked .... they ignored orders and went anyway but it was to late .... and I will just leave it at that as this is not a US political topic ....

I'm  Democrat, been heavily blinded by the halicon days of the Clinton Admin.

The topic here was the press, which we linked to Filipino Politics, so we are not that far off topic

Edited by chris49