At What Point In Time Do Hand Over Control. Financial?

chris49
Posted
Posted

22 years ago, just made life more peaceful.

But then when we were first married, I had very little to hand over. As our assets grew, so did my wife financial acumen.

Scott H, ya done real good there getting to 22 years. Filipina? That's a good sequence, it does help if the girl has a fully working brain from the beginning.

I will sit Gina down every now and then, usually in Mc Donald's ka si out of the house kami.  I will tell her "Honey you have a very good brain up there, better than average, now would you kindly use it at all times" She will smile, she likes the complement.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

My wife is a CPA and can handle, Juggle, accounts like the Best of them she handles all the Household accounts and has done from day one with utter trust from me. However, like the majority of Filapinas sometimes, priorities can get put in the Wrong order. This is the only time I get involved, Sitting here down and saying Sweetheart, maybe we should have done this First and that next. I find that Parties and such sometimes take presidece before a project is Finished. like now, We have still to have the Kitchen Completed and the new Cooker range to be installed Yet she is now organizing the daughters Birthday party for the End of the Month. You just have to give them their head but keep an eye on Finishing Something before they start another. To me that is where the money can be lost.

JMHO of course.

JP :tiphat:  ( back in line with a better connection Today  :morning1: Morning all.

Yeah what's with connection last 24 hours ,it's off and on like a light switch.

Jack, these dam birthdays can be a complete pain in the ass (Mogo, you don't yet live here you might not know). Even when they trade off and say they will minimize, they can throw it right on on you, day before usually. And it's tough because they will throw the old guilt trip on you.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 2

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

I find that when it comes to birthday parties, all bets are off. Better have something in the budget for those or you will find yourself short. Here in the states it seems there is always some kind of get together to budget for. I tell my wife to let me know as far in advance about any outings I should know about so I can order food to take or buy ingredients at the store. Often it just easier to order filipino food from our local filipino restaurant, by the time we buy the ingredients and she destroys the kitchen and them gets herself ready…..( this is all on Filipino time by the way, so we are always running behind,)   it's just easier to buy. At first she didn't like the idea but, now she knows it's easier on our budget and our family when we do. I have had to spoon feed the budget concepts over the years but she has it down and finds ways to save that I don't. I enjoy eating out but here in the states that's a twenty dollar withdraw minimum every time we do. She now limits my eating out to weekends so we have saved more. I told her in July when we are in the Philippines, once we are set up and can start to regulate income, she's in charge of all bills and living expenses. She is excited about living at home and having the money to do so. Her only concern is having gamy ask for money. She told me she doesn't want to make them made but she is going to tell them no to loans. We will see fellas how that goes. I have read too many stories about the kind of pressure she is going to have on her to say no.  

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
I tell my wife to let me know as far in advance about any outings I should know about so I can order food to take or buy ingredients at the store

:hystery:  but W&M the day before, is far in advance to them.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

for parties this is what you need 

http://jollibeeparty.com/?utm_source=MRM-JUMP-GDN&utm_medium=GDN-CPC&utm_term=MRM-JUMP&utm_campaign=MRM-JUMP-GDN

:hystery:

Ooooooooooooops sorry just trying to help :rolleyes:

JP :tiphat:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

My gf cannot handle money, but she needs to learn.  The only way to learn is to do it.  So I dole out continually more of the monthly budget for her to handle.  Its a bit frustrating when she goes out to do the grocery shopping and later I see that the fridge/cupboards are full of cans of coke, snickers, cheezies and snacks for her while I get hamburger and potatoes.   :hystery:  but I am soft on her so I let her get away with it.  Its also frustrating when she has a certain amount for groceries and comes back with bags, shoes, clothes and knick knacks and we run short on groceries.

But as I said, she has to keep doing it to learn, or else when I get to the point where I cannot do it myself we will be in trouble.  

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
 Its also frustrating when she has a certain amount for groceries and comes back with bags, shoes, clothes and knick knacks and we run short on groceries.

Hey stop moaning you got a normal there, be thankful :rolleyes:

JP :tiphat:

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

My gf cannot handle money, but she needs to learn.  The only way to learn is to do it.  So I dole out continually more of the monthly budget for her to handle.  Its a bit frustrating when she goes out to do the grocery shopping and later I see that the fridge/cupboards are full of cans of coke, snickers, cheezies and snacks for her while I get hamburger and potatoes.   :hystery:  but I am soft on her so I let her get away with it.  Its also frustrating when she has a certain amount for groceries and comes back with bags, shoes, clothes and knick knacks and we run short on groceries.

But as I said, she has to keep doing it to learn, or else when I get to the point where I cannot do it myself we will be in trouble.  

Mate you combat this. As I would do. Btw, clothes like ukay ukay can be quite cheap, so I let that one go.

When I'm out on the bike , I tell her no lunch for me. I will have miki miki early, then carinderia one rice 2 mains, When I go home she might tell me no lunch, no budget . A few times eating Lucky noodles, she got the message

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

I find that when it comes to birthday parties, all bets are off. Better have something in the budget for those or you will find yourself short. Here in the states it seems there is always some kind of get together to budget for. I tell my wife to let me know as far in advance about any outings I should know about so I can order food to take or buy ingredients at the store. Often it just easier to order filipino food from our local filipino restaurant, by the time we buy the ingredients and she destroys the kitchen and them gets herself ready…..( this is all on Filipino time by the way, so we are always running behind,)   it's just easier to buy. At first she didn't like the idea but, now she knows it's easier on our budget and our family when we do. I have had to spoon feed the budget concepts over the years but she has it down and finds ways to save that I don't. I enjoy eating out but here in the states that's a twenty dollar withdraw minimum every time we do. She now limits my eating out to weekends so we have saved more. I told her in July when we are in the Philippines, once we are set up and can start to regulate income, she's in charge of all bills and living expenses. She is excited about living at home and having the money to do so. Her only concern is having gamy ask for money. She told me she doesn't want to make them made but she is going to tell them no to loans. We will see fellas how that goes. I have read too many stories about the kind of pressure she is going to have on her to say no.  

What they say and what they mean to say can be very diffrerent. In case WordsandMusic I would hand out the money on a daily basis,

I think Scott has said they learn quicker when you don't bail them out.

It's hard to be hard, but you have to do it,

Edited by chris49

Thomas
Posted
Posted

My gf has shown skill, but I will need to test what she can  -  so far. I know she can plan pretty good at least 4 months ahead. (I have only noticed one error, which made the total result less good, but still a good result.)

I will keep control of SOME, but the goal is we will decide all NEW things together.

She can handle the household money direct/soon, I suppouse.

She will be involved in business too. The plan is to let her handle and decide more and more, the more she learn and show she can, until she can handle MOST, so she is prepared to take over if something happen to me.  EXCEPT I will NOT teach her some SMALL important parts, so they have use of me.  I trust my gf, but I don't trust she can say "No" if her family push her    :)

I will write a MANUAL for the kept hard part, which she will get after my - natural  :)  - death.

To be honest, some people know how to budget and some people don't... But those who don't can easily be taught!
   Well. As with other skills, some are good, some are average, some have no skill at all. WHEN people have some skill, THEN it can be improved by education and exersising,

while them without skill can NEVER learn.

(Compare:  A tone deaf person can never become a good singer.)