When You Are Gone

davewe
Posted
Posted

so I plan to buy it partly with loans, but aim at all is paid when I'm 75, and I plan to live longer than that :)

At 43 yrs old I found out the hard way, never take anything for granted.

The best laid plans of men and mice....must look up where it comes from.

Of course we must have plans and projects for the future, if you love somebody or have family, naturally you should make sure they are cared for via a will etc, should the inevitable happen.

spellcheck

I am pretty sure she has to be a citizen to get social security benefits. The resident status is not enough. OTOH, if you have a child together the child will get benefits.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I am not retired yet. If I die before I retire my kids have been instructed to send her some of the money (they are beneficiaries on my retirement accounts).  When I retire I am hoping to set it up for her to get a reduced monthly amount after I die (still trying to find out of they can do that as she has no Social Security number)

I do not want to give her a large lump sum of money because I know her family would swoop in with "emergencies" and screw her out of her money.  A monthly allotment is the only way to go. 

But we are planning on building a house so she will at least have a nice place to live.   (getting bids now)   :tiphat:

~Edit~

I have sent a pdf file to both my kids with all the retirement/insurance/will info in it.  I have a time delay email that will go to my wife after I die, with all the info.  ...or if I forget to change the date for 2 weeks it will mail and scare her ha ha.

Its good that you have told your sons to give her money should you die before you retire, but money does strange things to people, as I mentioned in my post I know someone at work whose wife is going through hell because her brother wants to control the inheritance, even a will drawn up by lawyers didn't stop the brother from contesting the will, perhaps you need to do something more than an instruction but a will or something else to show your wishes.

Yeah, I know some folks whose families fell apart while fighting over small parcels of land.  But so far the only time our family has fought over money was when we said we were getting too much.  Even when we were kids - when my dad was trying to give us money when my mom died we all said since he was still alive it was all still his ha ha... 

I do need to update my will.  i just have not gotten around to it yet.  I thought I would be dead by now.  But my health improved when I moved over here - how inconvenient  :tiphat:

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I am not retired yet. If I die before I retire my kids have been instructed to send her some of the money (they are beneficiaries on my retirement accounts).  When I retire I am hoping to set it up for her to get a reduced monthly amount after I die (still trying to find out of they can do that as she has no Social Security number)

I do not want to give her a large lump sum of money because I know her family would swoop in with "emergencies" and screw her out of her money.  A monthly allotment is the only way to go. 

But we are planning on building a house so she will at least have a nice place to live.   (getting bids now)   :tiphat:

~Edit~

I have sent a pdf file to both my kids with all the retirement/insurance/will info in it.  I have a time delay email that will go to my wife after I die, with all the info.  ...or if I forget to change the date for 2 weeks it will mail and scare her ha ha.

Its good that you have told your sons to give her money should you die before you retire, but money does strange things to people, as I mentioned in my post I know someone at work whose wife is going through hell because her brother wants to control the inheritance, even a will drawn up by lawyers didn't stop the brother from contesting the will, perhaps you need to do something more than an instruction but a will or something else to show your wishes.

Yeah, I know some folks whose families fell apart while fighting over small parcels of land.  But so far the only time our family has fought over money was when we said we were getting too much.  Even when we were kids - when my dad was trying to give us money when my mom died we all said since he was still alive it was all still his ha ha... 

I do need to update my will.  i just have not gotten around to it yet.  I thought I would be dead by now.  But my health improved when I moved over here - how inconvenient  :tiphat:

In what way has your health improved, and is it down to moving do you think

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
In what way has your health improved, and is it down to moving do you think
When I quit working my seizures have almost stopped... could not quit work and live in the US    :tiphat:
  • Like 2