Cabin Fever?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I have never lived in Philippines only visited. I think I would have the same problem just too few things of interest to keep occupied compared to the West.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I actually have the opposite problem...  As I mentioned numerous times before, I want to try and spend 8 hours a day  writing...  That is until my Special Someone comes home...  (soon...  soon...!)  But my Filipino friend likes to take me with him when he goes out for stock for his store, when he goes downtown for his other business (family business is mining), when there is a birthday in the family (he never tells me it's a birthday party, just going to see somebody's house or to see the family mine - which I still haven't seen...  hehe), if he needs to get work done on one of the vehicles...  You name it!  Lately, I'm never home!!!

He's going to be in for a shock once Av comes home!!!

:mocking:  :rolleyes:  :attention:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
I think it comes down to "loneliness".

I hear what your saying Grate, one of the first things I tell folks back home if they express an interest in retiring here is that they really need to be comfortable in their own skin. Not saying your not, typing sometimes doesn't lend itself to proper expressions.

But if a guy is the type, IMO, that looks forward to Sunday mornings in front of the telly watching the game with his friends, or the type that always stops by on the way home from work at his favorite watering hole for a brew and a talk, in other words a real sociable type, he might not be really, really happy here. Most of the reasons you list apply, lack of conversational English, lack of shared cultural experiences etc, really limit the topics at times that can be discussed, add in the fact that we are usually on our guard not to offend anybody by criticizing things we see that could be improved. 

That is one of the reasons that I am glad that I live in a city, I pretty much step out my door and there is always something going on to chuckle about or just plain shake my head in amazement. I tip my cap to those who live in the sticks, I know I would go bonkers out there.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

If you have any interests like learning guitar or studying some academic subject you could have a tutor come into your home and teach you one on one for a modest fee. 

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

I get cabin fever on occasion.

I used to get it back in northern Canada when there were no people around at all.  It shows its ugly head when an old friend or a new acquaintance happens by.  I talk their freakin' ear off.  Not intentionally though.  When I am running on normal I am often a good conversationalist but when I am starved for interaction in my peer group I may not even realize it until the opportunity comes along to unload on an unsuspecting ear.

It is worthwhile to introspect if you even suspect cabin fever or you will find yourself losing friends needlessly.  The cure is to do as Gratefuled does and seek our your peers, whether they be in coffee shops bars or on the golf course.

I have noticed some of our members posting drivel from time to time. indeed I am sure I have been guilty also, This is another sign of cabin fever.  I suspect another synonym for it would be "run-off-at-the-mouth" disease and it calls no country home.  You could be way up north, way down south, or near the equator and suffer from it.  Just be aware when it happens to you.

EDIT:  It may be beneficial to know the symptoms of cabin fever as everyone reacts different to it.  I think the following sums it up:

The American Medical Association and the American Psychiatric Association characterize the symptoms of cabin fever as:

A lack of patience
Always feeling tired
Feeling unproductive and unmotivated
Feeling sad or depressed
Lethargy
Difficulty concentrating
Craving carbohydrates or sugar
Difficulty waking in the morning
Sleep disturbance
Social withdrawal
Irritability

Other symptoms of cabin fever are hopelessness, losing interest in the activities one used to enjoy earlier, weight gain/weight loss, difficulty concentrating and/or processing information and change in the sex drive.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I am a sufferer also, I call it 'stir crazy'. It is worse for me when my gf is at work. TV just does not

cut it as it is constant repeats.

My lifeline is a couple of days a week, meet up with fellow expats for breakfast, now and again to a bar and a few

beers with the boys to talk some b.s.

I have times when I miss my friends back in Oz (I live in Thailand) but would not change my mind and go back to

Oz, too bloody expensive.

The next change will be when we head for Phils,but are looking at other possible locations such as Cambodia and Vietnam.

Just for another interim adventure.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

attachicon.gifmountain bike.jpg This what I did to relieve  my Cabin Fever. Bought a Bike. :thumbsup:

Two fold story. Exercise ( and we all need that) +  I cycle the Barangay Roads and try and use the main roads seldom.

I am lucky that I live in an Area of 5 pretty large Barangays so I am never bored of a Route, I can usually find a new one every other day or So. 

Works for me! and my Goodness, the amount of People I meet and have them Look out for me.

Just a Thought.

JP :tiphat:

Morning All late on, cos just come in from a Ride. :morning1:

I have been giving bike riding some though also Jack, But where I am now, the Thais would rather run over ou than

go around you. One of the things I noticed whilst there recently that Filipinos basically obey the road rules

just riding on the other side of the road is my concern. But no doubt after a few head ons, would get the hang of

it!

Can you give me the details of your bike Jack, dont have much of an idea about them.

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

I have weekly meetups with other expats, and plenty of hobbies to keep me busy. Then there are the minor emergencies (vehicle repairs, house repairs, etc.). You have to get some kind of transportation. Sometimes we just go out for a drive to get out of the house. Usually we don't have to deal with cabin fever until the monsoons start.