My Life's Work Is Gone... Now What?

Vince Runza
Posted
Posted
Now that I'm using Scrivener for my writing

Hey, did you have your Scrivener backed up on Dropbox? I set that up when I started using it...

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

hi

Im not tech geek I have trouble switching my computer on but if your laptop or what ever it was was plugged into a power board that has surge protection would that have saved it.  I know the surge protection boards cost more but are they worth it, I currently have my tv's, computer etc all plugged in to these surge protection boards, am I wasting my money???

Not at all!  In fact I should have had one hooked up but I was cheap...  I can do a full charge in 45 minutes that lasts up to 13 hours on my MacBook so I thought I could get away with it...  

:1 (103):  :1 (103):  :1 (103):

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Belt, Suspenders and a Rope: having lost precious data in the past I have, as backup resources:

1. Cloud backup  I was in the process of doing this when it all went blloey!
  2. A separate hard drive inside my desktop machine, and  everything is saved to an SD card rather than the SDD...  It's a laptop so no extra internal...
  3. An external hard drive.  the missing Flash Drive that I cannot find - tore the apartment apart and it's still missing...

I never want to have to recover stuff and find it's fried again!

• Like 1

Vince Runza
Posted
Posted

I feel your pain. Lost my PC just after New Year's Day this year. Turns out you DON'T want to defragment a backup. Lost all my Sci-Fi videos, but was able to restore all my writing and valuable software.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Now that I'm using Scrivener for my writing

Hey, did you have your Scrivener backed up on Dropbox? I set that up when I started using it...

I have been up half the night with the engineers from both Apple and DB trying to figure out why, when everything went puff, so did my files on DropBox...  (I was in the process of moving my files to DB when it happened)  Everything on DB is gone - and that is not suppose to happen!  Fortunately I am a also a Net Engineer / Sys Admin (along with hardware and specializing in security) from way back (starting moving away from it after 9/11) and can actually help them try to figure things out.  At the moment, it's starting to look like something else that got me but we have no proof as of yet...  Let's just say I"m implementing a much higher security on all my toys hooked into the network...  Laptops, tablet and phone...  And, even if what I am not going to mention just yet doesn't hold true, it has given me a great idea for a new book...  !

:mocking:

• Like 1

Vince Runza
Posted
Posted

Yeesh! So, looks like investing in a surge protector is just the beginning of your battle. :1 (103):

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I don't understand computing details but I do hope somehow that data can be recovered and you will be back on track once more Bob!  :3_8_14[1]:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I am certainly no PC Tech and can add no advice but Only this morning I had an alert from the MS Security centre that my Auto back up had been Disabled.

Seems Avast decided to enable a Secure Line VPN. This altered my internet connection somehow and Stopped certain things because of Incompatibility.

I Disabled this VPN and all things have gone back to normal.

Just wondering Bob it such a thing has happened to you and the inmates have taken over you PC?  ( The mental hospital syndrome :) )

JP :tiphat:

Morning All.  :morning1:

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

I have all the data recovery software but it's a no go... The card was basically fried... And I didn't use the Time Machine as I didn't want to tie up my SSD... That's what the missing Flash Drive was supposed to be for...

I've spent the afternoon with Apple trying to figure out what went wrong... We both think it was a massive power surge... Luckily no other hardware was blown but I have to replace part of the OS...

Should be done in about 20 minutes and then a full functionality check.

Thanks for the support, guys!

althou its too late this time,

would it help to remove the "flash drive" when finish(not in use) or unit is charging??

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

If you have a 13A, at NAIA T1, when you approach the immigration counters, go to the right. There are 2 windows for 13A holders. The will process your ECC and re-entry permit right there. The charge P2820. That's it. Waive bye bye to the immigration counter and walk past them. Done.

I have all the data recovery software but it's a no go... The card was basically fried... And I didn't use the Time Machine as I didn't want to tie up my SSD... That's what the missing Flash Drive was supposed to be for...

I've spent the afternoon with Apple trying to figure out what went wrong... We both think it was a massive power surge... Luckily no other hardware was blown but I have to replace part of the OS...

Should be done in about 20 minutes and then a full functionality check.

Thanks for the support, guys!

althou its too late this time,

would it help to remove the "flash drive" when finish(not in use) or unit is charging??

If I can ever find the flash drive, I'll have some of my work back... It's missing... It was the SD Card that had all the work on it... Normally I would remove it but I had to upload my data and my machine was screaming that it was going to shut down if I didn't plug the charger in... So I tried to do it all at the same time... The engineers think that, with the surge, my MacBook sent a signal to delete all my file tthere instead of just opening it... I blew out about half of my OS and a bunch of other saved files too...

Oh well... Sometimes you gotta roll with the punches... If I have to start all over again, maybe this time I'll concentrate on the self-help books first and spend more time developing the novel characterizations...

Edited by i am bob
  • Like 2